Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie here...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RohJay
Hi there,

Just want to introduce myself. I am located in Sri Lanka and I just purchased a 914 from Australia. It's a '70, but with 2.0 FI eng and converted to Right Hand Drive.

This is my 2nd foray into 914s. My first was a '74 2.0 while attending college in St. Louis MO from '92 - '96. That car was AX prepped by the PO. I had to sell it, reluctantly, as I was returning home after graduation. By far the most fun car i've owned; it had obviously made a lasting impression on me.

Well after more than ten years , last month I finally decided i was going to get myself a 914 again. Since there are absolutely NO 914s here, I would have to import one. After countless hours of internet search, I finally settled on this car from Australia. Although I could have sourced a car somewhat cheaper from the US, geographic proximity and mandatory RHD requirement made sense to go with this.

I also own an '89 944 S2 (the only 944 in the country) and a fully restored '53 VW Oval. I had to sell-off my fully restored '59 Karmann-Ghia coupe to facilitate the 914 purchase.

It will take about a month for the car to reach me. Once it does, I'm sure I will have plenty of questions for the forum.... Till then here's some photos from the seller:
BMXerror
welcome.png I would love to have one of those over here in the States. Good looking car.
Mark D.
jasons
welcome.png

Cool Car with the RHD, I own an S2 as well. But not the only one in the USA biggrin.gif
JPB
Cool car and if the notion of not having any speed limits in SRI as well as having many winding roads, then you are envied by everyone here. welcome.png
dr914@autoatlanta.com
certainly congrats! Very expensive to convert to right hand drive that is for sure!
Coy
That is so completely cool!
Congratulations!
So.Cal.914
welcome.png

It will be a very nice car once you get the steeringwheel location handled. smile.gif
scotty b
Welcome....you will not however be fully accepted until you post some pics of the oval biggrin.gif Until that time you will be an outsider
Eric_Shea
Awesome! welcome.png
wbergtho
Hey! Great car! Nice shape and how cool is it to own the only 914 in Sri Lanka. Hope evrything works out well for you. Say...did porsche make a RHD dash or is that a custom modification to the dash? I would think the rest of the conversion would be somewhat straightforward...except for the location of the steering shaft protruding through an unfamiliar area under the gas tank. Can anyone tell us if Porsche made a few RHD 914's on the factory floor or were they converted by someone else?

Bill
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 5 2007, 06:59 PM) *

Welcome....you will not however be fully accepted until you post some pics of the oval biggrin.gif Until that time you will be an outsider

agree.gif He's pre- med, you better listen to him.
SirAndy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 5 2007, 07:27 PM) *

Can anyone tell us if Porsche made a few RHD 914's on the factory floor or were they converted by someone else?

i can tell you ...

porsche never made a RHD 914. they're all aftermarket conversions ...
bye1.gif Andy
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(wbergtho @ May 5 2007, 08:27 PM) *

Can anyone tell us if Porsche made a few RHD 914's on the factory floor or were they converted by someone else?

Bill

They do or did sell Right hand drive parts:
Click to view attachment

But I could find no info that Porsch ever made a RHD 914.

EDIT: Ooooooop's Nevermind

i can tell you ...

porsche never made a RHD 914. they're all aftermarket conversions ...
Andy
RohJay
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

@ wbergtho:

AFAIK factory never made the 914 in RHD.
i thought the column ran through the center, with the steering wheel end offset to the left (or right in this case) with a shaft and 2 U-joints? I believe the toughest task is fabrication of the dash, followed by re-shaping of the fuel tank to accomodate the brake master cylinder. Pedal set is from a RHD 911. Of course needs new wire harness and finally relocation of the Park Brake.

Some pics of the '53 oval:
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(RohJay @ May 5 2007, 09:06 PM) *

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

i thought the column ran through the center, with the steering wheel end offset to the left (or right in this case) with a shaft and 2 U-joints?

It does... confused24.gif And I don't think you will need to do any work on your fuel tank, it sits high enough to clear

my thru body sway bar so it should not be an issue.

I like your 53, I had a 55 I restored. I loved that car. Is that a 5 color wolfsburg

crest on the front?
lotus_65

cool

how about some pics of the ghia...

paul
DEC
welcome.png
JPB
Wow, that is one sick bug. Almost makes me want one wink.gif
skline
That is a really cool car, I even liked the fully polished Mahle wheels on it and I never really cared for them polished like that but they look good on there. Does the girl come with the car? smile.gif It would be quite the conversation piece here in the states.
plymouth37
welcome.png very nice bug!

[/quote]
They do or did sell Right hand drive parts:
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

so.cal, do you have any more info on that rhd setup? application, part numbers,etc...

thanks!
So.Cal.914
The Bird Board had a few parts listed and may have more info on RHD conv.

Let me look...

Edit: Try this site, it has a 914 RHD conv for sale. It says that the conv was done

by Hardt Classics? Looked for them but could not fine anything. You could contact

the guys selling this car and get the info I am sure. Here is a few pics of the conv.

http://www.gtautoperformance.com/cat/cview.php?id=66

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
RohJay
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 6 2007, 09:48 AM) *

Is that a 5 color wolfsburg crest on the front?

Yes it is the period correct crest.

QUOTE(skline @ May 6 2007, 11:02 PM) *

That is a really cool car, I even liked the fully polished Mahle wheels on it and I never really cared for them polished like that but they look good on there. Does the girl come with the car? smile.gif It would be quite the conversation piece here in the states.

Thanks! No, girl NOT included. One restoration project at a time....:-)
I believe these are Pedrini wheels. And i'm not too keen on the fully polished look, I intend to re-detail the wheels, eliminating some excess Bling.

Also will need to add Chrome bumpers, Seat back pad, complete carpet kit, LE front airdam, Rear Valance and Triad or Monza exhaust

@ lotus_65 -
here's a few pics of the '59 Ghia, Again it's a RHD conversion.
First 2 are fresh from resto in 1999, last one is much later with 5 spoke EMPI's
plymouth37
sweet ghia, I am still drooling over that bug! drooley.gif

thanks for the info so.cal!
lotus_65
Yahtzee! cool_shades.gif

Good vibes 2 ya~
scotty b
clap56.gif NICE OVAL !! Sam e color as mine (exterior) mine has the brick red interior. Hideous color combo but it will be going back that way. Mine is a deluxe with ragtop and dual sunvisors thumb3d.gif someday wub.gif
scotty b
[quote name='So.Cal.914' date='May 5 2007, 07:32 PM' post='896975']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ May 5 2007, 06:59 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

agree.gif He's pre- med, you better listen to him.
[/quote]

Says who?? blink.gif I ain't no stinkin pre-med I'z just a dumb ol' bodyman. Thanks anyway though smile.gif
McMark
I would definitely love to see a TON of detail shots of the conversion. Not many of those out there. This is a rare opportunity for information.

Welcome and Congratulations!
So.Cal.914
Sorry about the flooding in your neck of the woods, hope your staying dry.

And pics of the RHD conv. would be great.
krazykonrad
welcome.png
Awesome cars all the way around! I'm really impressed. Glad you're part of the club!
Konrad
woobn8r
Nice to see you here! welcome.png It really is 914 WORLD!

Lovin' the collection...to bad you had to cut the Ghia loose...She looked awesome.

I'm sure the 914 will put a grin back on your face though.

Cheers,

Sean
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.