Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 8.8" FORD rear differential
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
My support vehicle 93 ford econoline, has some strange noises when I turn the rear wheels when up on a lift. Today is the first time I have had it up in the air, and I turned a rear wheel and heard horrible sounds. It sounded like a really bad bearing or something. The wheel turned kind of chunky (you could feel varying resistances as it was turned).

I pulled the diff cover off and found that the differential gears were causing the noises. I am assuming that this is NOT normal and that they are worn beyond their serviceable life.

My question to you is:

Should there be any noises when turning the raised rear wheels on a ford 8.8" rear end?

Any suggestions? I have already ordered a rebuild kit (new spider gears, etc).

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may have.
Crazyhippy
Should be no noise. Read up on setting up the ring and pinion now. it takes some fine-tuning to get it right.

Did it make any noise while driving?
John
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 5 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Should be no noise. Read up on setting up the ring and pinion now. it takes some fine-tuning to get it right.

Did it make any noise while driving?

I am not planning on altering (or removing) the ring or pinion. The diff gears come out of the carrier easily. A lock bolt holds the shaft for the two idler gears. Once those are out, clips hold the spider gears to the ends of the axle shafts. They are all out and waiting for the replacements.

No the diff made no noticeable noises while driving, but it is a large vehicle and you don't tend to hear all the noises well.

Thanks for your response. The axle bearings and the diff cone bearings make no noise.

When I get the parts, I'll install them and see if there is any noise. Hopefully the parts will solve the problem. The old gears do look worn, but the ring and pinion gear teeth look to be in excellent condition.

Thanks again,

As always, comments are welcome.
Crazyhippy
Only time i've had a spider gear go bad, it went WAY bad (and through the cover....) Under freeway driving they are just along for the ride.

BJH
dflesburg
John,

Does that rear end have a LSD, if so you may want to repack those disks while you have everything else out.

Ford has two rebuild kits for the 8.8 LSD. Get the more expesive one. The one in my truck is the cheaper, my cobra is the better one.

Keep me posted on what you do to solve the issue. I am doing the f150 rear as soon as the 914 is streetable. I also have a used GT solid rear that will get built next winter to go in the cobra....

Thanks and Good Luck.
John
No LSD.

This is a ford econoline conversion van. Hardly any kind of performance vehicle. It is an open diff and has spider gears.

I ordered the kit through one of my FLAPS, but here is what it is:

Joe Ricard
My 94 Explorer has worn out "traction lock" and it groans going around corners at slow speeds.
It bugs me but not to the point that I want to mess with it.
MecGen
Hi Guys

Uhhm, when you got a viehicle on a lift turning in gears you will hear more noise, this is just because the planitary gears (spiders) are spinning around in the pig.
How much more noise is the question, you did the rite thing, open and have a look. That diff had some issues with the pinion bearing getting loose, make sure you check it when the pig is out.
I would strongly recommend an "anti-friction" additives for non posi units, your local PO will have it, it will add years to the diff.

Play Safe
Later

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.