Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk mods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geodude
drunk.gif Question(s): Has anyone put in a removable lid in the trunk floor (rear) for engine/trans access? If so, are there any structural points to consider, i.e. does the trunk serve much of a purpose other than a storage space for the top? Follow up, has anyone (or is it wise) modified the rear trunk for better cooling for the engine? The rear trunk, other than for the above-mentioned top storage, SEEMS like wasted space. These questions have probably been answered 3K times before but what the hay, I'm still a newbie?

Steve
machina
lots of race cars have the rear trunk bottom sheet metal cut away, but they also have full cages which strengthen the entire structure.

It does make it really easy to access tranny, etc.

I have never seen a street car with removable panels though.
JPB
If you re-enforce and weld the perimeter with a kinda metal ring around the opening where the removable floor would be bolted to with some screws, this will be as strong if not stronger than the original if the new floor was a bit heavier gage metal. There is a structural member 2/3 ways to the bumper which can also be replaced with your new floor/bolt system. If you don't skimp on fasteners, it would be plenty strong. Think stainless.

Good idea and very doable beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.