Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: DMV Shenanigans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
Okay, so back in January I sold my 1988 944. Sold it for $1500 and I only paid $500 just a year and a half prior. Not bad!

Well, last Friday I get a letter in the mail from our very own 91 Toll Lanes. "Thanks for your interest in using the toll lanes, but you did so without being a subscriber... The toll violation etc..." Wait a minute, I never use the toll lanes. And what's this, I did it in my 1988 944? On April 19th?

So, the DMV never processed my release of liability. I just finished typing up a rebuttal and I still have a copy of my release of liability (to cover my ass). I guess I have to go through that crap all over again. New owner never registered it I guess...

Fucking new owners.
byndbad914
right there with you - I bought a couple wrecked Toyota pickups for $1100 from a fleet at a spot my mom worked at years ago - one crunched front one rear. The front one just had box damage, so I swapped the boxes and sold the now completely totaled one for $100 to a guy needing suspension parts.

Drove the truck a few months but the 4spd was too low on the freeway out there so sold it for $2700 cash. Not bad at all for a days work.

Then about 6mo. later I get a deliquent parking ticket notice and a notice of warrant issued for a ticket in Long Beach (I lived in Orange at the time). I hadn't even been in Long Beach let alone got a ticket. Then I realized it was in my Toyota pickup.

I had sent in my release of liability copy of the title when I sold it, but for some reason I had taken the time to make a copy of the docs based on a friend's strong advice. F'in CA DMV clearly goes out of there way to hire the absolutely dumbest people as this is only one instance of a dropped ball on the DMVs part.

But I mailed or faxed a copy of the release and it was all good - ticket and warrant were dropped. BUT, imagine if I had found out I had a warrant the wrong way! (out on date - say in HuntBeach where they pull you over for no reason and scope you out, then next thing "step outta the car"..) I know the DMV wouldn't have reimbursed for any of that!

sheeplove.gif
skline
Oh that's nothing, the car that is now Allan's, he got from Dan Root, who got it from me, which was transferred to a Washinton Title by Dan when he bought it from me, and then transferred back to a California title when Allan bought it, caused me to have to jump through hoops when they sent me a demand for registration fees, they even threatened to hold my income tax refunds and garnish my wages if I did not bring them current. What a joke.
ConeDodger
Don't even get me started. Two years ago, I was driving back from Sonoma Valley with my dog sitting happily in the front seat. I have the cruise set for 70 and I am just listening to the tunes. THEN I look and a CHP officer is cuddled up to my rear bumper with his lights dancing and chirping his siren. I do what most citizens do and pull over. He asks for license and registration which I give him and he asks if I know why he pulled me over. I have not got a clue which has to be a first for me! He tells me my registration has lapsed. OMG! That I was not expecting. I explain that there must be a mistake as I get a bill - pay a bill without any problem at all... He likes my dog and says he believes me and just gives me a fix-it ticket. I check my online checking service and sure enough, I did pay it... So I bring a copy and head down for DMV on Monday. My neighbor is an El Dorado County Sherrifs Deputy and he signs off the fix-it which I mail to Yolo County along with a check for $10.00 for a processing fee! Man I wish I could get into the freakin' Government business! I would be way rich!!!
Next thing you know I get a letter from Yolo County telling me I owe $1100 or some such crap. I call, they say whoops we probably have it. I tell them the check number and offer to fax it. She says she will check on it and call me back. No call. I figure she got it figured out right? Nope. Next letter, they call them "Courtesy Notices" says I owe just south of $1500. Now I am pissed. I call the court and demand a court date, and no shit I had to demand it because the snotty little public servant said it was too late for that. I went to court on the appointed date and explained to the judge and handed over my proof. She looked it over and dismissed it but get this. I still had to pay some freakin' court cost crap.
Bottom line is that they are idiots and make YOU pay for there mistakes. I wish that I could say that it was the last DMV mistake but there have been two more since then. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.