Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a differance in cooling fans ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
I need some help here I took my fan off to replace the oil cooler seals and the bolts are different along with the looks of the fan itself . The first picture is the fan off of my 72'. The second fan is off ? it came with a box o parts. The part # of the second fan is 021 119 113 the fan off my car has no part #.

One of the 12pt. bolts on my car was stripped so I either need to find the same 12pt. bolts or can I switch the fan out so I can use regular hex head bolts either way is fine by me I just need to find the 12pt. bolts I didn't see any at PP

Thanks,
jbart

Also there is a picture of the bolt from my car.
RustyWa
Looks like a fan that came on a car with a smog pump. The pully extension would bolt up to that location.
Joe Owensby
The second fan, on the right, looks exactly like the one on my 71 1.7. Joe O

QUOTE(JBart @ May 6 2007, 03:56 PM) *

I need some help here I took my fan off to replace the oil cooler seals and the bolts are different along with the looks of the fan itself . The first picture is the fan off of my 72'. The second fan is off ? it came with a box o parts. The part # of the second fan is 021 119 113 the fan off my car has no part #.

One of the 12pt. bolts on my car was stripped so I either need to find the same 12pt. bolts or can I switch the fan out so I can use regular hex head bolts either way is fine by me I just need to find the 12pt. bolts I didn't see any at PP

Thanks,
jbart

Also there is a picture of the bolt from my car.

Aaron Cox
i have used both on mine.

i believe i read something on STF about the left one being slightly more efficient?
TheCabinetmaker
How do you work on a 914 and keep a fingernail that long and clean? ohmy.gif
JBart
SO if I use the flat fan instead of the coned fan what kind of bolt should I use just a regular 8mm bolt or is there a special type of bolt?

Thanks,
jbart
TheCabinetmaker
regular bolt. Correct length is important. not sure about hardness of bolt.
Dave_Darling
My car has the second type of fan, but also uses CV joint bolts like the first type does. The Kap'n has said not to switch around types of bolts, but I'm not sure why.

--DD
JBart
Thanks guys,

I went to the local VW shop and she had some CV bolts so hopefully mon. after work I can play with it and see if they are going to work they are a lil' longer so I might need to cut them down a little to make them work.

As far as the pretty nails you should see my DRESS!!!!! smile.gif

Really thats where the wife comes in real handy "taking pictures" I point she shoots.
SLITS
I was told one was early and one was on later cars. The one with the rubber boobie and slope to the fan blades should be the more efficient one.
McMark
The 'cone' fan came on early 1.7 motors. It uses shorter bolts that will not work with the late style fan. And conversely, the late style bolts are too long for an early fan. That being said, the only two factors you need worry about for bolts is thread engagement (not too short) and protrusion into the front main seal (not too long). Other than that it's a plain ol' 8 x 1.25 bolt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.