Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got me a pair of 40mm drla dellortos
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
will a stock 1.7 be able to fully utilize 40mm dellortos with the right cam ???

jim
MecGen
Hi Jim

I have driven a couple 1.7l with 40s and they ran just fine. I have 36s on my 2.0l because it was a special deal. In general, 40s are an all around good choice with a wide range of cams, just can be over carbed. A distributor is really important with large carbs, the wrong ones will exagerate (sp) the carbs shortcomings.
Many years ago I drove a 1.7l /big bore/cammed/40s, and it tore the wheels loose in 2nd. I took out my 73 1.7l FI from storage today, it ran like shit. headbang.gif

If its a good deal, I'de say go for it.
Later

beerchug.gif

jimkelly
thanks - $440 on ebay shipped - jim
So.Cal.914
Does it need to be stock bore?
jimkelly
jwalters has me thinking a set of nice thick walled medium compression cylinders would be nice for reliability. hoping i can just cam the shit out of a stock 1.7 rebuild and add big carbs?
So.Cal.914
Ran webers on mine before it mutated to a 1911, ran good for a 1.7.
jimkelly
i'd like for my first engine build to be a semi stock 1.7 with kick ass cam and be able to wind to somewhat over stock rpms. thanks jim
type11969
I'm running dell 40s on my 1.8, don't see why you couldn't do it with a 1.7. I'm having some issues with them currently, but I think the 32mm vents are too big. I'm dropping down to 30s, I suggest at least the same for you for starters, maybe even 28s. Unless you plan on making it a real screamer. Smaller vents with the smaller engine will make it more driveable but can limit your top end.

Get the dell tech book and cbperformance.com will be your friend for jets and parts.

-Chris
type11969
Oh yeah, if you do plan on making it a screamer, you will have to go non-stock on the valvetrain!
Twystd1
28 vents is correct. As thats the smallest they make.

C
Jake Raby
DO NOT use a big bore kit designed for the 1.7 engine, they have the thinest walls of any cylinder!!

Buy the big bore set for the 1.8 engine and machine the head registers to 105mm from 100mm and you'll be golden..

A RAT 9520 cam will make it sing too!
jimkelly
thanks jake and guys !!

i have a 1.8 sitting on the shelf too that i can rebuild instead - would i be much better off using the 1.8 case and heads instead of a 1.7 ?? Jim
type11969
Case - doesn't matter

1.8 heads - has the larger cylinder register so if you want to make a 1911 or 2056 you won't need to get the heads opened up (as you would if you used 1.7L heads).
jimkelly
thanks - so i will use the 1.8 heads - thanks : )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.