Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Question about coolant additives...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I have a V-8 converted car...and I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience with additives or "suppliments" that you might put into the coolant of a water cooled car? I have a modern LS series GM motor in my 914 and the GM factory recommends the Dexcool orange/red coolant in these motors. I have heard a few nightmare stories about Dexcool and have known that the "old school" green Prestone coolant works just fine in an all aluminum motor. My question is specifically this: If I run the old school Prestone, do I need any further additives to minimize the possibility of corrosion or other pitfalls? Any comments and/or experience with different coolants and aluminum motors would be quite helpful. I need a better education on this matter.

Regards,

Bill
SLITS
Of the "old school" ethylene glycol mixtures, PEAK (formulated by Northern Chemical) was supposedly the best. To the ethylene glycol base, sodium metaborate (ph stabilizer scale control/corrosion inhibitor), wetting agents (make water wetter/keep contaminants in solution), sodium nitrite (corrosion inhibitor), sodium silicate (corrosion inhibitor), and dispersants amongst other things are added. I can see no need for additional "additives".

It should be changed every two years as the heat cycles will eventually break the ethylene glycol into two organic acids. Corrosion proceeds unchecked after that point.

Anyway .......... that's what I was taught
bondo
There are some new waterless coolants that sound very appealing. They're basically 100% glycol. Supposedly they can move more heat than water, stop corrosion, won't boil at any possible engine temp, all without any pressurization of the system. The downside is the price, and ALL the water has to be purged from the system. I guess price isn't really a downside, since the stuff should last forever. I've never tried the stuff, but I intend to.

The best part is that when people say your 914 is water cooled, you can say "no it isn't!" biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.