Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leakdown testing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rick42
Good evening all,

I'm fairly new to this forum, having posted 3 or 4 times.
I would like to build a 2056 motor. Someone out there said that if one can only afford a single item from Jake Raby, then get a cam from him.
I have read that Jake is the best for cams, and if that is the case, then who would I get the other major parts from?

Also, what does leakdown testing check for? I know what a compression test is but have never heard of leakdown testing.

Hi Jake,
Do you sell a dvd of a 2056 engine build by itself, or do I have to buy an engine kit?

Thanks to you all for your help and knowledge.

Rick
McMark
Leakdown Testing
Leakdown measures the amount of air that is escaping past the piston rings or intake/exhaust valves. If you have 20% leakdown, you're losing 20% of your 'power' to gasses escaping where they shouldn't.

2056 Building
Jake's online store, the Type4Store, is pretty price competitive and definitely sells some parts that aren't available elsewhere (modified oil pumps and modified cam gears are two easy ones). Sources beyond that are Aircooled.net or Pelican Parts. I concur that the cams that Jake has developed are by far the best in the industry. Your biggest issue is going to be reliable machine work, not parts. There is a Type IV rebuild video available from the Type4Store, it's a great primer. Get it and watch it three or four times. The Haynes manual has a lot of good info, as well.
Jake Raby
We'll match ANY retail price on the same part from ANY competitor...

It must be a retail (non special) price that is advertised on the net- no problem....

The reason my camshaft program is so effective is due to the development we have went through to prove the cams and the items that they work best with. We now have 53 camshaft possibilities for engines from stock to 3.2L and morevoer we know exactly how they interchange with other items based on testing and trying a variety of components with them including heads, and exhaust.

My video is sold individually or it also comes with engine kits... I am working on another volume of the video to address performance engines, since it has been 7 years since we updated the original video.

We now offer machine work as well as parts and complete engines.

Compare parts based on quality and developmental research and you'll find that the things we offer here are a better value than the cheaper, less developed components found at cheaper prices elsewhere.
PinetreePorsche
Jake: Any guess on how soon the updated video will be available, now that the blow-up is all done? (And what are you going to do with that motor?)
Jake Raby
Listen to this week's radio show for details on the future of the Spyder and it's engine...

The new video is a slow go because I am doing it ALL myself, from the shooting to the editing, with only the assistance of my wife... Year's end would be a reasonable goal for completion based on current time lines.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.