Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Cup starting up again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Ricard
Ok ya'll time again for the 914 cup to start up again. If you would like to participate please go to the link and fill out the form. http://www.914world.com/914cup/

Structure and rules are pretty much as they were last time with only a few tweeks that were requested by you guys.

Oh and since I have been racing since January ya'll better get busy. driving.gif
blitZ
Are the rules posted somewhere? I don't understand exactly how this works. huh.gif
McMark
Here is the original rules thread

The 914Cup is a way for all 914 racers to compare AX times and see 'who is faster'. Broadly speaking, it's a comparison of what percentage of TTOD are you. If your fastest time is 95% of the TTOD for that event, then you get 95 points.

There aren't really any 'rules'. Just classify your car on the sign up sheet (easy) and enter your AX times. We do the rest.
grantsfo
Cool! Very nice job of integrating it onto the site.
drgchapman
I'll come out and play. A/X is soo much fun!
Looks like I'm in the modified class, away from you go fasties.
Some day I'll put on the flairs and go big rubber.
I see Trevor is in the game!

Looks like A/X is really big here in Oregon as compared to the other events listed.
Joe Ricard
I guess I only have 4 events in the 914 this year. So lucky for you guys that I drove the RX-8 for two events and My buddies Civic for one event.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 7 2007, 12:52 PM) *

I guess I only have 4 events in the 914 this year. So lucky for you guys that I drove the RX-8 for two events and My buddies Civic for one event.

Isnt it quality over quantity in this competition? How many events are we counting for points this time?
Joe Ricard
Isnt it quality over quantity in this competition? How many events are we counting for points this time?

I vote for ALL of them that you run in a 914. Last year I ran 20 events in my car and 2 more in other cars. and 2 lapping days.

Yes Quality counts, Maybe it would be nice to show total points as it is now. and another column with average.

If you take FTD for all 3 of your yearly qualifying events you have 300 points and an average of 100

If you are a "back marker" but just can't not stay away or like me have no other life other than Autocross my 20 events would have gained me 1900 ish points with and average in the 90's or what ever.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 7 2007, 12:37 PM) *

agree.gif only your best five count!

driving.gif Andy
drgchapman
Is there another way to open the 914 cup other than through this thread?
Could we get it naiiled to the paddock header?
An average of runs seems appropriate, what ever someone decides.........

Just some ramblings.

Gary
McMark
I posted a link at the top of every page. Click the 914Cup logo! biggrin.gif

It is hard coded right now to count only your top five entries. So max point possible is 500. I'll get a 'rules' page added in the next few days to explain all of this.

I am eager to see some debate as to how the system works and what we can do to make it better next year (probably no big changes this year).
grantsfo
I do think person who scores highest points total by certain point in the year should get "Crazy for AX" award. It says something when somone has discpline to go to a ton of AX's throughout the year.

I think top 5 events are a good number.

One thing on tires I penalized myself for my rear tire width of 265 for points calculation. I run 225's in front. Is this correct?
Joe Ricard
So you run itty bitty tires huh?

275 all around Full racing slicks
Under powered and over tired
orcadigital
It looks like we only have 3 Autocrosses on the schedule this year (RMR PCA). How does that work? Or can i count in DE events as well? I am sure it would screw my times, as a GT3 Cup Car can hotlap a lot faster then me on a track...

Just curious, this whole thing is a nifty idea. smile.gif
DanT
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 7 2007, 05:27 PM) *

So you run itty bitty tires huh?

275 all around Full racing slicks
Under powered and over tired

let the trash talkin' begin biggrin.gif poke.gif

the improved class needs to keep a warry eye out for the "Flyin' Pumpkin" laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(orcadigital @ May 8 2007, 04:25 PM) *

It looks like we only have 3 Autocrosses on the schedule this year (RMR PCA). How does that work? Or can i count in DE events as well? I am sure it would screw my times, as a GT3 Cup Car can hotlap a lot faster then me on a track...

hmm, we need to talk about this, but my gutt feeling would be that you can enter the DE's as well so you get to at least 5 events ...
idea.gif Andy
DanT
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 8 2007, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(orcadigital @ May 8 2007, 04:25 PM) *

hmm, we need to talk about this, but my gutt feeling would be that you can enter the DE's as well so you get to at least 5 events ...
idea.gif Andy

assuming that the DE has a TT portion with official timing. biggrin.gif

many PCA DEs back east and midwest are DE only from what I have seen...very few regions or Zones do official timing.
Joe Ricard
The ricer crowd calls it "time attack" I think it is like PAX designed to make the slow kids feel they are competative.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 8 2007, 05:46 PM) *

the improved class needs to keep a warry eye out for the "Flyin' Pumpkin" laugh.gif

The "Flyin Pumpkin"? Havent seen or heard from it this season. It's more like the Jackstand Jack O' Latern. Rumor has it that is might be ready for the 2008 cup? biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 9 2007, 07:07 AM) *

The "Flyin Pumpkin"? Havent seen or heard from it this season. It's more like the Jackstand Jack O' Latern. Rumor has it that is might be ready for the 2008 cup? biggrin.gif

soon Grant, very soon biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 9 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Candlestick May 19?
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 9 2007, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 9 2007, 05:50 PM) *

Candlestick May 19?

Nope, I will be in Chico attending my oldest daughter's graduation for grad school with a Masters in Speech and Language Pathology...
My first AX will probably be AX #4 at the stick....
Chris Pincetich
I'm in the lead for now! The Improved 1.7 happy11.gif
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Improved
Name Points
1 Chris Pincetich 340.874
2 ottox914 281.705
3 Dave Darling 173.178
4 Kelly Corn 143.878
5 thomas spretke 88.6472
6 Grant Remington 85.7725
7 Mark De Bernardi 83.6113
popcorn[1].gif
grantsfo
Nor Cal Teeners Rule! biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Thanks guys for putting up some new times and points.
This place neeeds more racing
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 7 2007, 11:03 AM) *

Thanks guys for putting up some new times and points.
This place neeeds more racing

I need just one day of help to get mine ready... In the mean time, the Bumblebee is doing just fine... That thing is going to make someone a great car!!!
ottox914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Jul 6 2007, 06:44 PM) *

I'm in the lead for now! The Improved 1.7 happy11.gif
beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Improved
Name Points
1 Chris Pincetich 340.874
2 ottox914 281.705
3 Dave Darling 173.178
4 Kelly Corn 143.878
5 thomas spretke 88.6472
6 Grant Remington 85.7725
7 Mark De Bernardi 83.6113
popcorn[1].gif

Enjoy it while you can- our next event is Aug 5, and I plan to add another 90+ points... driving.gif
Joe Ricard
When I get my car back on the road none of you will have a chance.
Borderline
I didn't know it was there! OK I've entered my numbers. In my car specs I put the Azenis down for my tires. For the rest of the season I plan on running the Azenis in the morning and the victorocks in the pm. I will only enter my times for the Azenis........trust me biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
Bill C comes stormin to the top from nowhere! ALMOST to the top that is.
My 914cup scores are maxed at 5 events and have gone from high 80s to low 90s in the recent months...I think I'm getting faster beerchug.gif
Catch me if you can! cool.gif

Improved
Name Points
1 Chris Pincetich 451.461
2 Bill C 440.695
3 ottox914 281.705
4 thomas spretke 277.403
5 Dave Darling 253.092
6 Kelly Corn 143.878
7 Grant Remington 85.7725
8 Mark De Bernardi 83.6113
DanT
sorry the old dog is back in the Puttputt....and gaining fast after only 3 events.

and averaging ~93 points per event.
914forme
Dan yours looks more burnt pumpkin than my signal orange car. LOL

I am in though catching Mr. Chapman is going to be tough. I am up for a challenge.
grantsfo
Nor Cal cup drivers seem to be doing all right. aktion035.gif
914forme
Yeah, but I don't think you guys run fast venues, like some of us do. How many 125/250 cc shifter carts , Mod class cars, or Formula SAE cars do you all ever run against????? Or Current SCCA National champs!!!!

So I guess I gotta be like you guys and sand bag my scores by running PCA only events.....

Stirring the pot with some good trash talk....laugh.gif
DanT
nope, no national champs around here....oh lets see. Jeff Reitmeir, he has what is it, 8 national championships. Oh and Steve Neislony and Tom Provasi, have how many Parade TTOD between them now, like 7 or 8?

Yeah, we don't have carts at our events, but then again, who cares? biggrin.gif

trash talkin' back at you. alfred.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 3 2007, 08:36 AM) *

nope, no national champs around here....oh lets see. Jeff Reitmeir, he has what is it, 8 national championships. Oh and Steve Neislony and Tom Provasi, have how many Parade TTOD between them now, like 7 or 8?

Yeah, we don't have carts at our events, but then again, who cares? biggrin.gif

trash talkin' back at you. alfred.gif

agree.gif I see a bunch of people with National level talent who are either unwilling or unable to take the time to go running off to Kansas or wherever for an event. Dan named just three. I personally have only done two SCCA events in the last two years but I won my class in both. Most courses in the Coastal area are big and fast. Heck in the Midwest, I used to win my class every event I went to and that was 20 plus a year. Here I do well but I am lucky to be top 10... Now there are people everywhere with REAL talent in NCal. I am truely honored to get to ride with the likes of Steve Nieslony once in a while. You want smack? You got it biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Stephen:

Since the Zone 7 guys are afraid to step out of their pond, the only way to deal with em' is to get into it with em'.biggrin.gif So, join me at Marina on 29 Sept and let's get after these guys...they get home field advantage but let's see what they can do with it.

The good Mr. Neilsony is one exception to the above and he'd do well in SCCA XP, FP, or D Mod...whichever he would be legal. He doesn't need 8 or 10 runs to go fast.
Borderline
Sounds like a 914 challenge right here in Marina!! Can't wait to see it! Of course, Brittain is no stranger to Marina, so the home field advantage doesn't really exist.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 4 2007, 08:19 AM) *

Stephen:

Since the Zone 7 guys are afraid to step out of their pond, the only way to deal with em' is to get into it with em'.biggrin.gif So, join me at Marina on 29 Sept and let's get after these guys...they get home field advantage but let's see what they can do with it.

The good Mr. Neilsony is one exception to the above and he'd do well in SCCA XP, FP, or D Mod...whichever he would be legal. He doesn't need 8 or 10 runs to go fast.

I'm not sure Marina is not "step(ping) out of (my) pond" since it a 4 hour drive with a trailered car... But... I would go to Marina if only to see that grouchy guy with the yellow car from up North...
Bring your Bumblebee wantin' friend. I'll show him what the car will do.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 1 2007, 02:37 PM) *

My 914cup scores are maxed at 5 events

uhmmm, dude, read the rules!

everybody's scores are the best 5 out of however many events you participated in.
so all you need to do to improve your current standing is to drive faster at your next event!
stirthepot.gif Andy
grantsfo
LOL! JP had to recruit a Nor Cal driver to drive his car fast. Hope Britain makes it down here JP! ...that way you'll at least have some bragging rights. biggrin.gif SCCA drivers aint nothing special guys. Most of the fast PCA drivers in Zone 7 are top of the heap in SFR SCCA events they run.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 4 2007, 03:42 PM) *

QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 1 2007, 02:37 PM) *

My 914cup scores are maxed at 5 events

uhmmm, dude, read the rules!

everybody's scores are the best 5 out of however many events you participated in.
so all you need to do to improve your current standing is to drive faster at your next event!
stirthepot.gif Andy

UUmmmm dude, did you fix your 914 yet or are you just bench racing from the keyboard? happy11.gif

I've got 5 events in = maxed out on events. I know the rules and I play by them ,fair and square. Just didn't constuct that sentence too well...I've actually been driving too fast lately, need to slow down and stop skidding through cones. biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
Borderline
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Aug 5 2007, 08:34 PM) *

.I've actually been driving too fast lately, need to slow down and stop skidding through cones. biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

You have been driving too fast! I have never seen someone have a time thrown out for being too fast!! "He couldn't go that fast on street tires, must be a timer error" av-943.gif
DanT
we don't want to go there Bill, and he was the one that brought it up... blink.gif confused24.gif
914forme
JP I would love to come out and run in NC @ the infamous Marina, would be fun. Can't take off work to trailer out though. It is our busy time. August and Septeber my boss has denied all vacations. dry.gif

BTW, if it is winning your class makes you think you successed in SCCA, you all must run as moving pylons. biggrin.gif

You guys ain't fast Bring your cars over to Dayton, next year when we have a GASS regional, that brings out the Honda Factory auto-x team. This car has about 76K in development under it. And a driver pool that is deeper than many Pro racing teams. Honda RD of Troy Ohio is taking 3 cars to Nationals this year. 2 S2000, and this EP Civic. And no they are not that fastest cars on the weekend.

Bill in his Formula Ford Tiga was. You run against 11 of these things you find out how good you really are. Yes I sucked both days, not do to a lack off effort just a much deeper talent pool than I normally run. And the talent pool I run with is pretty deep. FTD was won by a local, boy, Mr. Bill Smiley pray.gif

Sorry I was not on here to keep the poke.gif up, and stirthepot.gif but I ran north for 2 days. I want to thank all my Canadian Brothers and Sisters for a wonderful weekend of beer.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif thumb3d.gif

Psst: I am getting to old to party like that.... Dude I am paying today.
grantsfo
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 3 2007, 06:35 AM)

Yeah, but I don't think you guys run fast venues, like some of us do. How many 125/250 cc shifter carts , Mod class cars, or Formula SAE cars do you all ever run against?????

So I guess I gotta be like you guys and sand bag my scores by running PCA only events.....

Stirring the pot with some good trash talk....laugh.gif

Clearly you haven't read the rules if you're including non-production car times in your TTOD calculations for the 914 Cup. The 914 Cup is only based on production cars to keep everything fair. You aren't running against those cars. Frankly I need to go to a couple SCCA events to pickup my lead! Some of the fast 914 guys here don't go to SCCA events and it will give me a chance to secure my prestigious 914 cup season win.

Here are the rules for TTOD calculation:

-Definition: TTOD here refers to the fastest officially-recognized run by any production-based car. This specifically excludes open-wheeled cars such as SCCA's A-mod or F-SAE classes, as well as (very rarely) some PCA Exhibition-classed cars on a case-by-case basis.
grantsfo
Here are a few of those slow PCA cars. Yeah your're right Chris P, Dan T, Demick, Bill and others have it pretty easy here in Zone 7. They are definitely sand bagging.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 6 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Here are a few of those slow PCA cars. Yeah your're right Chris P, Dan T, Demick, Bill and others have it pretty easy here in Zone 7. They are definitely sand bagging.

agree.gif I autocrossed and SOLOII in the Midwest for many years and as I said I did very well. Now that I live in Northern California I realize I had just been a good sized dog in a fair sized pound. I went from finishing top three to five as far as TTOD to fifteenth or worse. I think my first event I was twenty-first. I have worked that back up to a pretty consistent top ten but the pound is pretty darned big here... And the venues are huge! One lap courses with over a minute times!
You don't need to come now... Heck put it on the trailer and come in November. We will still be autocrossing while you are wishing winter would hurry up and go away!!!

S M A C K ! ! ! !
Chris Pincetich
DAMN - I knew I should have kept quiet about all this. Now Demick is posting in Improved, and he's got 90+s for all 3 events he's raced in. Way to go dude beerchug.gif

Good points about entering TTOD from production cars only! Does that disqualify The Beast at Marina?? Not sure if I can even edit my old entries....I accidently put 2006 on one and couldn't change it.
914forme
Ah piss Grant you got me - laugh.gif I never read the F-in rules to anything. Except the race class I run, which I have 1000 or more times, I know every detail, and grey area in them.

But in reality to me TTOD is TTOD, run what you brung knock the top guy off the ladder and piss on his open car. Thats the sport I run. Big dog rules, and if you can put your fendered car into TTOD more power to you.

Okay off to read the dang rules, I have seen your national PCA boys run. Actually seen allot of them, more than any body knows, I been sneaking into PCA events since I was a wee lad. I watched Provasi run when he was young biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.