Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center tunnel fuel lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I'm going to replace my tunnel lines...can I get away with fabricating my own lines out of brake line (what size-2.0 FI) or should I buck up for the stainless lines?

Thanks
skline
I have done a couple of my cars, not FI however but I used brake lines, they are stainless and they work great. I would think for FI you would use a 5/16 and 1/4? They only come in 5' lengths from Kragen which gets you from the front to the rear only. You would use rubber line from there. I bought a flaring tool and bender when I did my first carb conversion. Now all I do is V8 cars so I only need one line and block off the return line at the front.
zymurgist
I used a pair of 5/16" mild steel brake lines from NAPA. (Those must be for trucks since I've never seen a car that used brake lines that big.) Got a 5' length for the tunnel and a shorter one for the engine compartment. Used a brass 90 degree fitting to make the turn. Used a Harbor Freight tubing bender to bend the heck out of the short lines so they come up in the stock location. It's a really nice custom job, if I do say so myself. wink.gif

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the stainless kit. No muss, no fuss, just install it and be done with it. But it wasn't available yet when I did the job.

This was for a 2.0 D-jet car and it seems to be getting enough fuel.
914Sixer
Buy the lines from Chris and be done with the replacement.
SLITS
3/8" and 5/16" Stainless Tube (I bought 10' lengths)

or better yet

buy them from Racer Chris.
rhodyguy
agree.gif no hassle deal with the ones chris offers. i know i would go thru atleast 2 10' pieces if i tried to make them. i'd have to buy the tubing bender set. tinkering is not my thing. even taking the end off of a coil wire and replacing it is pushing the limits. biggrin.gif

k
PRS914-6
If you are not going to race it, why not just use a good quality fuel injection hose the entire length? I don't know why everyone goes to the hassle of metal lines and all the fittings since the newer style hose is very good and designed for high pressure. Racing does prohibit this though. The rubber lines only take a couple of minutes to run.

I ran mine from the front fuel pump directly to the rear filter without any additional fittings. I slid some heat shrink over the portion inside the car for abrasion resistance and some temp insulating sleeve over the outside portion.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
John
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 7 2007, 08:53 PM) *

If you are not going to race it, why not just use a good quality fuel injection hose the entire length? I don't know why everyone goes to the hassle of metal lines and all the fittings since the newer style hose is very good and designed for high pressure. Racing does prohibit this though. The rubber lines only take a couple of minutes to run.

I ran mine from the front fuel pump directly to the rear filter without any additional fittings. I slid some heat shrink over the portion inside the car for abrasion resistance and some temp insulating sleeve over the outside portion.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Wow, you have the car up on a single scary style jackstand. I'm not getting under there.
poke.gif
skline
He was just demonstrating the amazing balance his car has!! I wouldnt get under there either. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.