Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Guaging intrest, front bumper upper rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoninEclipse2G
Posted this on 914club.com and got a good response, but I thought I'd check with some of the other groups too. I have gotten tired of the bumper rubbers on 70-74 teeners falling apart and falling off, and no matter how much you try to glue it back in place it always falls off again in a few months. I am going to try to make a prototype this weekend out of fiberglass. I have seen the ones occasionally offered on evilbay and feel that the fit and finish is pathetic for the cost. I am looking to mold it directly off the car to guarantee the proper fit and will offer it with and without a "rubber" coating, expected cost is ~$100 each. no guarantees on when the prototype will be finished as productivity is weather and wife dictated. just wanted to know the potential market out there

woobn8r
lack of good rubbers is what has kept me away from chrome bumpers...
How about a rear to match...

If you make these I (they) will come...
Chris Pincetich
YES! beerchug.gif
If you *search* for this, I think it was KaptKaos that started a thread for a group buy on front and rear fiberglass repro rubbers. At least 10-20 people wanted them, me included. Some might have bought on eBay since the deal fell through.
Especially the front, I'm sure you'll sell all that are made ASAP beerchug.gif
RoninEclipse2G
I probably won't do a rear for now due to the fact that mine is in good condition with one exception, the center mounts are bent like it got bumped or someone sat on it so the whole thing is a bit wavy in the middle, not a good candidate for a mold. keep letting me know guys!
Chuck
As I indicated on an earlier thread, I will take the first one available!! The rubber cap on my '73 needs to be replaced and I want one that I can paint to match the car.
RoninEclipse2G
yeah, I'm thinking of possibly offering them in a couple finishes, but if this seems like too much work for the money they might just be primered, I want to keep cost and time down, but i don't want a crappy product, it always pisses me off when people charge too much for something that's half assed.
jimkelly
i wish someone would just CNC them from a solid material similar to stiff-ish rubber and then install stubs in them for mounting - already in black.
mrhurtalot
id prbably be interested. dependedant on my next bank statement....
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ May 7 2007, 03:22 PM) *

YES! beerchug.gif
If you *search* for this, I think it was KaptKaos that started a thread for a group buy on front and rear fiberglass repro rubbers. At least 10-20 people wanted them, me included. Some might have bought on eBay since the deal fell through.
Especially the front, I'm sure you'll sell all that are made ASAP beerchug.gif

Yep, I did try and make that happen. The fiberglass ones that we saw were not the best quality, so I let it go. I'd be interested too.
RoninEclipse2G
Got the ok from the wife! she's gonna let me have the creamsicle this weekend to make the mold off of, I'll try to take pics and keep everyone updated on the progress as best I can, but internet acess is limited during the weekends. I'm really hoping this will turn out great!
Ferg
Good news!

I hope it works out, I will be interested if they do!

Ferg
tdsmoonchild
Count me in too! And I'm interested in the rear bumper top also.
mrdezyne
Yes! keep us posted how the mold turns out. The front one is what I need most but I would probably take a rear one also just so they match.

Don't let this die!!!
RoninEclipse2G
I want to see how the fronts will turn out first but for the rear unless I can get mine straightened out, I'm gonna need a decent guinea pig to mold off of.
Demick
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 8 2007, 10:16 AM) *

I want to see how the fronts will turn out first but for the rear unless I can get mine straightened out, I'm gonna need a decent guinea pig to mold off of.

You can buy a new rear pad for under $300. Making a mold from it shouldn't damage it. Then you can resell the new pad for close to what you paid for it. In other words, minimal costs are involved for using a brand new bumper pad to make molds from. Easily recouped by adding a few bucks to each fiberglass one you sell.

Demick
RoninEclipse2G
QUOTE(Demick @ May 8 2007, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 8 2007, 10:16 AM) *

You can buy a new rear pad for under $300. Making a mold from it shouldn't damage it. Then you can resell the new pad for close to what you paid for it. In other words, minimal costs are involved for using a brand new bumper pad to make molds from. Easily recouped by adding a few bucks to each fiberglass one you sell.

Demick

maybe once I've sold through some fronts, I can afford the materials to make the fronts for now, not much else
RoninEclipse2G
icon_bump.gif yeah, bump, just checking to see if there was anyone else interested, I need to know if my prototype turns out good how much supplies I'm gonna need stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 9 2007, 08:06 AM) *

icon_bump.gif yeah, bump, just checking to see if there was anyone else interested, I need to know if my prototype turns out good how much supplies I'm gonna need stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif

I would be in for one.
Snafu
I'm in
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.