Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very unusual option on Ebay car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
There is a early 914 on Ebay with what appears to be the vinyl covered windshield frame option. Oddly, the vinyl on the sail panels has been removed. This option covered the perimeter of the windshield frame that is usually body color with the same material that covers the rollbar. Also there were two small end pieces that covered the end of the vinyl at the lower corner of the windshield
I've only seen one and I know it is mentioned in the restorers guide.
Take a look. Auction # 290111614918
davep
Approximately the first 2000 of 1973 model year I believe.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(davep @ May 7 2007, 07:00 PM) *

the guy says its a 71 tho smile.gif
McMark
Definitely an early car. It's got the immobile passenger seat.

I stole the pictures and the ad text, for posterity. These eBay references become useless as soon as the ad disappears.

Year: 1971
VIN Number: 4712909750

Vehicle Description

WE FOUND THIS PORSHE SITTING IN A GARAGE THE PERSON THAT HAD I HAS OWNED IT SINCE 1972 IT DOES HAVE A CLEAR TITLE. THE CAR IS IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE IT HAS SOME SURFACE RUST AND THERE ARE A FEW RUST HOLES IN IT BUT THE BODY COULD BE RESTORED VERY EASILY. WE HAVE NOT HAD THE ENGINE RUNNING BUT WE DID TURN IT OVER WITH THE STARTER TO MAKE SURE IT WAS NOT LOCKED UP, IT SOUNDED VERY SMOOTH WHEN TURNING OVER, THE ORIG. OWNER SAID IT WAS RUNNING WHEN THEY PARKED IT IN THE GARAGE YEARS AGO, THE TRANS ALSO SEEMS TO BE IN GOOD SHAPE,THE BRAKES STILL WORK, THE REMOVABLE TOP IS ALSO IN GOOD SHAPE ,I TRIED TO TAKE SEVERAL PIC. OF THE UNDERCARRIAGE AND THE REST OF THE CAR SO PLEASE LOOK AT THEM SO YOU WILL KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BIDDING ON. THIS CAR CAN BE RESTORED WITH A LITTLE WORK OR HAS A LOT OF GOOD PARTS IF YOU NEED THEM, ALSO THE ENGINE IS A 120.5 CID,FUEL INJECTED,THE ODO. SHOWS 22848 MILES BUT I WILL NOT GUARENTEE THE MILES TO BE ACCURATE. PLEASE ASK ALL OR ANY QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BID I WILL ANS. AS HONESTLY AND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE THANKS AND GOOD LUCK ALSO THE HEADLIGHT MOTORS DO WORK AS DO THE TAILLIGHTS ETC.
lotus_65
...PRETTY GOOD SHAPE...BODY COULD BE RESTORED VERY EASILY.

That just cracked me, then it got better.
nice save!
Allan
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 7 2007, 06:28 PM) *

...PRETTY GOOD SHAPE...BODY COULD BE RESTORED VERY EASILY.

That just cracked me, then it got better.
nice save!

It's probably somewhere in the Joshua Tree desert...... sad.gif
krazykonrad
Thats cool! I have never even heard of that option before, much less seen it.
Thanks,
Konrad
SirAndy
QUOTE(davep @ May 7 2007, 06:00 PM) *

i thought 1000 ? idea.gif

anyways, i recall seeing some other early car with the same option.
i venture to guess it was available as an option throughout the years and was later used as a marketing gimmick for the 1000 '73 cars ...
bye1.gif Andy
914Sixer
Yep,
In the 90's I had 2 73's that had covered front windshield post. When I do my 73 I am going to cover it also. Makes everything blend nicely.
toon1
orange914 did a write up on this. If i remember correctly the cars where slated for europen dist.. Cars where needed in the US so they shipped what they had.

They where doing an insurance claime and the adjuster was going to total the car. Orange noticed the vinal on the window pillars and did some research. Turns out the car was worth way more after that.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 8 2007, 12:54 AM) *

orange914 did a write up on this. If i remember correctly the cars where slated for europen dist.. Cars where needed in the US so they shipped what they had.

Orange914 went through the members' VIN list and contacted all of us in that first 1000 '73 cars. I've heard this story from many different sources and they all seemed credible. My front bumper had the holes drilled for a german lisence plate (skinny rectangle) and once it made it to CA, someone (the dealer??) re-drilled to fit the CA tag.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.