Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timeing mark
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trojanhorsepower
Can anyone point me to a thread or tell me where the mark should be positioned in space. I only have the pull on right now to set the valves so I have no reference point (not that I would recognize one if I saw it). I have the motor on a stand so standing in front of the pulley looking over the top of the motor toward the fly wheel were should the mark be for #1 at TDC? Right now it appears to be at about 200 deg. Is this correct?

Thanks

-Pete
Bruce Allert
For a 1.7 or 2.0 this link tells how to find it and gives some purty gud pictures.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm

here's the template link for marking the timing mark on the fan
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9.../914_timing.htm
good luck... it's not too hard to find.

...........b
trojanhorsepower
Thanks Bruce,
I'll look into to it in the morning. I was going to stay up and work on it but... (see post "25 ways to tell .... ")

Night all

-Pete
Brad Roberts
Whatever you have heard in the past from other people, do not turn the engine using the impeller fan.  It's just not worth breaking a fan blade when there is a much better approach.  

Bullshit. Grab the fan by HAND and turn it if you dont use the road wheel method. The fan blades only break when you use a friggin screw driver in the fan to turn the engine over. A engine with 5k miles on it will turn over by hand (grabbing the top of the fan and pulling towards the passenger side (backwards of the rotation 1/2/3/4)

B
Bruce Allert
After looking at this article again I see that it has been updated, pictures too. The old article said, as I recall, "do not use a screw driver in the fan blades to turn the engine over. "
I agree, Brad, turning the engine over by hand using the fan wouldn't seem to be cause for breaking blades. Must've been an oversight on the proof reading laugh.gif

............b
trojanhorsepower
Thanks guys
Since my motor is on a stand (no injectors, spark plugs or trans) I have been using the pulley part of the fan to turn the motor over. The problem I was having is there are no stationary references with out the fan housing and trans bell housing to reference when checking the marks. I am thinking the marks should be rough 180 deg. or straight down. Mine is past that by many deg., I will recheck my books and the tech articles when I get back over there this afternoon.

Thanks again

-Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.