Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bushing help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrhurtalot
i cant get any of my new bushing to go into where they are supposed to go...

its the trans. super bushing kit from pelican.

is there like a secret bushing method i dont know about? WTF.gif
smontanaro
What bushing? The three shift rod bushings? If so, I just did them and posted this:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...229&hl=YAST

I wound up cutting a small notch, maybe 1/8" from the smaller flange, did the heat it in boiling water thing, then popped it in.

Skip
Dr Evil
Boiling water for a few minutes makes them maliable.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 8 2007, 10:32 PM) *

Maliable...Good word.

How's it goin Evil?
mrhurtalot
omg i KNEW hammer and rage wasnt the secret recipe.

just for this, i almost promise to use my future degree in mech. engineering to futher the cause of the 914'rs!

..but you gotta wait four years.
rhodyguy
i noticed th fw bushing seemed to be made of a dif material than the one i removed, harder/stiffer. same super kit. take the bushing to the garage while still in the hot water. don't take it out until you're all ready to install. i put a thin coating of lithium grease on the hole for the bushing before i even heated the bushing. you'll need a not too sharp, blunt, tool to work the bushing in. quickly now, get one section of the lip on the bushing just started and gently, trying your best not to tear the bushing, work your way around the bushing pushing the lip in with the tool. the bushing should compress/oval as you work it in. if the bushing is too stiff to flex, reheat it. this is the tool i used to work the bushing in.

k
Dr Evil
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 9 2007, 01:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 8 2007, 10:32 PM) *

Maliable...Good word.

How's it goin Evil?

Hey Man, just finished my last test for the week yesterday (yay!)

Make sure to remove the shaft before you try to install the bushing. I only say this because it has happend in the past and is a common mistake. wink.gif Kevin spelled out the best method I have found perfectly.
rhcb914
I just used a piece of threaded rod to create a press. Line up the bushing take a long section of threaded rod with a nut and large washer. Put the large washer against the bushing and slide on end of the rod through the bushing and washer. Take the other end and find a nice solid part of the engine support bar to brace against. Now screw the nut down until the bushing pops in place.

Gotta learn to jurry rig when you work on these cars! biggrin.gif
mrhurtalot
i ended up getting the one on the tranny in fine.

but the fw one wouldnt go in, so after about an hour of back and forthing betwixt the kitchen and garage, i cut it a little bit and it popped right in.

thanks for the help!

meh now i need to remove the rear hub and drive shaft... any suggestions.?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.