Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I seal this gas tank?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Here's a photo of the inside of my gas tank, after being degreased and rinsed. I was wanting some opinions if I should coat the inside with some of that gas tank sealer made by POR-15. The rust stain here is mostly from the water ( I should have force-dryed it). What do you think, any experience with the gas tank sealer? Mostly just little spots of rust here and there, nothing pitted though. Does this level of rust warrant the expense and effort of applying the sealer?
Allan
IMHO, I wouldn't. It looks like what you are seeing is just flash rust after the cleaning. Just get gas in it as fast as you can.
McMark
I'm not a fan. The fact that people have experienced sealer flaking is enough to scare me away. I'd rather just toss some phosphoric acid (Metal-Ready, Rust-Mort, etc) in there to convert the existing rust and run it. I keep the gas tank condition on my list of Things-To-Look-At-Once-A-Year.
jk76.914
Mine looked like yours but I sealed it anyway. No issues so far, after 4.5 years. You've got to rinse it by filling it with water, and then draining. Spraying brings the rust, because it's water plus air. Do it a couple of times and then blow dry it. I used the hose from my shop vac, sucking, and blew in with a heat gun.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.