Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove old grease from CV's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
I'm going to repack my CV's while I have the engine out and i'm wondering how to remove the old grease without sticking them in my solvent tank and soaking them?? The last time I did just one axle and had to change my solvent . This time i'm repacking both axles .

Any responce will be much apprecated...

Thanks,
jbart
SirAndy
wipe off the big chuncks with a old rag, then clean with lots of brake cleaner ...

bye1.gif Andy
JBart
Thank you ,

That should save on changing out my thinner !!!!

Thanks Again,
jbart
Gint
If you take them apart, they're easy to wipe clean. And they are really pretty easy to take apart and put back together. We have a great Lapuwali Classic Thread with pictures.
mills914/s
Brake clean evaporates to fast buy greased lightning super clean(purple bottle) stuff is amasing.
S
Spoke
QUOTE(mills914/s @ May 9 2007, 11:29 AM) *

Brake clean evaporates to fast buy greased lightning super clean(purple bottle) stuff is amasing.
S

agree.gif

I used greased lightning to clean out all 4 CVs. Used a brush and kept washing out old stuff with clean stuff. Pulled back boot and got my fingers in there (with gloves on) and cleaned out all old grease. I didn't want to take the CVs apart since they were in good condition.

Spoke
woobn8r
Don't forget to wear latex gloves when working with CV grease....It can absorb into your skin.....
JBart
Good ol' moly grease Right????

Thanks,
jbart
SirAndy
QUOTE(mills914/s @ May 9 2007, 07:29 AM) *

Brake clean evaporates to fast

that's the whole point! biggrin.gif

spray down generously, grease rinses off, parts are dry & clean within a minute.

the important word in the sentence above is "generously". get a couple of cans.

has worked great for me on about any greased up part on my car.
it's OK on rubber, but will "burn" plastic and take off the paint on your body panels. so be careful where you use it.

i've done my share of CV's and brake cleaner is by far the fastest method of getting them clean ...
bye1.gif Andy
woobn8r
agree.gif

I buy Wynn's brake clean by the case.....an old racers habit.
mills914/s
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2007, 10:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mills914/s @ May 9 2007, 07:29 AM) *

Brake clean evaporates to fast

that's the whole point! biggrin.gif

spray down generously, grease rinses off, parts are dry & clean within a minute.

the important word in the sentence above is "generously". get a couple of cans.

has worked great for me on about any greased up part on my car.
it's OK on rubber, but will "burn" plastic and take off the paint on your body panels. so be careful where you use it.

i've done my share of CV's and brake cleaner is by far the fastest method of getting them clean ...
bye1.gif Andy

Yep me to I do have to say I love brake clean to it works great !!!! But CV joints?
I tend to clean heavily funked parts a little with degreaser then after use brake clean cause it evaporates fast and dries quick....
ptravnic
My vote is for dissasembly - then a lot of paper towels... I cleaned/inspected a half a dozen using the disassembly method just last week.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.