Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Selling a car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
My girlfriend lives in the San Diego area and is selling an '03 Mini Cooper S that belonged to her late husband. She is concerned about how to show it to buyers and the best way to handle the test drive when someone gets serious.

She's a take no crap HS teacher and reads people well, but I've heard enough stories to know you have to be careful. Any suggestions for the best way to approach this?
LvSteveH
With performance oriented cars I'm happy to take anyone on a test ride, but to drive, you have to pretty much buy the car. As long as they don't damage anything, I'll cheerfully refund their money if they decide they don't want it after they drive it.

A few people were miffed that I wouldn't allow test drives in my 3.6L 82 911. The guy that ended up buying it was glad I hadn't let a bunch of knuckle heads abuse it. So it goes both ways.
So.Cal.914
Have them meet you in front of the local police station, don't give your address.

Like Steve said, if they only have the test drive left, you will refund the cash if

they don't like it. (leave the cash with your Girl friend and she can stand inside the

police station.)If they come in pairs, only the perspective buyer goes for the test

drive. Dosen't hurt to be careful.

Crazyhippy
Go drive, i hold your license though, so dont go crazy and get pulled over, and dont even think about not returning...

BJH
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 8 2007, 11:54 PM) *

Go drive, i hold your license though, so dont go crazy and get pulled over, and dont even think about not returning...

BJH

agree.gif I usually give them a ride, then if they want to drive it is give me your license, keys to YOUR car and cell phone number. I always call their cell phone BEFORE they get behind the wheel.

Another option is take the car to Carmax, did that with my old 96 F150 just to see what they would give me. Got $6500 for it when blue book was $6000, but my truck was clean clean clean, besides I wanted $6500 for it so I was happy.

I almost did the same with the wife 01 Intrepid. They gave me a good price, again what I wanted, but my cousin needed a good running car so I sold it to him for a few $$ less than what carmax would have given me.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 9 2007, 09:46 AM) *

Another option is take the car to Carmax

This might work out well. Demand for the R53 Cooper S is still high because people are preferring the supercharged version over the new turbo model (R56). Carmax might give you a good price and you don't have to hassle with potential tire-kickers who just want to hellrun the car....
KELTY360
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ May 9 2007, 08:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 9 2007, 09:46 AM) *

Another option is take the car to Carmax

This might work out well. Demand for the R53 Cooper S is still high because people are preferring the supercharged version over the new turbo model (R56). Carmax might give you a good price and you don't have to hassle with potential tire-kickers who just want to hellrun the car....

I'd never heard of Carmax before, that could be a good way to try. BTW, tell me more about the preference of supercharged over turbo Mini.
Aaron Cox
bought my truck from carmax.... good people.
boxstr
Find a local dealer and consign it. People that are purchasing cars are not going to bring cash to a test drive.
CCLIN914NATION
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.