Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway Bar Settings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock

Can any one ‘refresh’ my memory on sway bar settings?
IE: pushing on front and or over steer.. how to set up. More sway bar up front and or soften rear. Is been a while since I really had to think of this.
Thank you.
groot
Stiffen front bar -> more understeer

Stiffen rear bar -> more oversteer
QUOTE(groot @ May 9 2007, 08:21 AM) *

Stiffen front bar -> more understeer

Stiffen rear bar -> more oversteer

thanks!
SirAndy
there's even more to it ...

each bar individually can be used to adjust the front AND rear handling.
so, with just a front bar, you have two options, with a front and rear bar, you have four options. (if the rear bar is adjustable, that is)

for the front bar:

- tightening the bar (moving the arm towards the BACK of the car) will reduce oversteer (the rear gets more grip) and add understeer (front gets less grip)

- losening the bar (moving the arm towards the FRONT of the car) will reduce understeer (front gets more grip) and add oversteer (rear gets less grip)

oversteer = rear end is lose
understeer = front end is pushing

bye1.gif Andy
drew365
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2007, 11:59 AM) *

so, with just a front bar, you have two options, with a front and rear bar, you have four options. (if the rear bar is adjustable, that is)

for the front bar:

- losening the bar (moving the arm towards the FRONT of the car) will reduce oversteer (the rear gets more grip) and add understeer (front gets less grip)

- tightening the bar (moving the arm towards the BACK of the car) will reduce understeer (front gets more grip) and add oversteer (rear gets less grip)

bye1.gif Andy

You're going to mix him all up Andy.
Loosening the front bar - adds more grip to the front = less understeer, more oversteer
Tightening the front bar - adds more grip to the rear = more understeer, less oversteer.
Think of it as a see saw, by loosening the front you're sending more weight transfer to the front and adding grip to the front. By tightening the front you're sending more weight transfer to the rear and adding grip to the rear.
That should be clear as mud.
SirAndy
QUOTE(drew365 @ May 11 2007, 03:15 PM) *

god damm it, i mixed them up! ahhh, i need a drink ...
drunk.gif Andy

PS: i edited my post ...
QUOTE(drew365 @ May 11 2007, 04:15 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2007, 11:59 AM) *

for the front bar:

- losening the bar (moving the arm towards the FRONT of the car) will reduce oversteer (the rear gets more grip) and add understeer (front gets less grip)

- tightening the bar (moving the arm towards the BACK of the car) will reduce understeer (front gets more grip) and add oversteer (rear gets less grip)

bye1.gif Andy

Loosening the front bar - adds more grip to the front = less understeer, more oversteer
Tightening the front bar - adds more grip to the rear = more understeer, less oversteer.
Think of it as a see saw, by loosening the front you're sending more weight transfer to the front and adding grip to the front. By tightening the front you're sending more weight transfer to the rear and adding grip to the rear.
That should be clear as mud.

For those that have responded, thank you very much!

Drew, I guess if I have questions, I can ask you at the fture POC events:)
I'm headed to the El Toro PCA A/X to 'test' my now almost completed car out.
Should see you at NASA / POC events:) Thanks for jumping in when I NEED help- I don't forget those things:)

Andy and groot- thank you too.
sean_v8_914
will you be at El Toro on the 17th?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.