Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are all 5-lug front hubs the same ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Hi All, can anyone clarify if all front hubs are the same. Can anyone give me any leads to clear things up. I tried looking up parts catalog at Pelican, but they dont show that part. I even tried a search for 'hub' and nothing came up, strange ? Any leads or information is appreciated. I am trying to see if a 1968 912 front hub will fit onto a 1986 911 strut.

thanks in advance
Ted
drgchapman
86 Carrera struts shipped on Monday. I included the upper strut mounts as well. biggrin.gif

I think there was a change in the early '70's, but I'm not totally sure.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ May 9 2007, 10:43 AM) *

Hi All, can anyone clarify if all front hubs are the same. Can anyone give me any leads to clear things up. I tried looking up parts catalog at Pelican, but they dont show that part. I even tried a search for 'hub' and nothing came up, strange ? Any leads or information is appreciated. I am trying to see if a 1968 912 front hub will fit onto a 1986 911 strut.

thanks in advance
Ted

Ted,

I have been working on a wiki article about this type of thing on the 914 Wiki. Here is the current state of that article...

http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/911_front_suspension

Here is a snip of info from the wiki...

"The spindle on earlier struts uses a smaller and differently threaded locking nut. Early hubs will fit onto a later strut, but the later locking nut that matches with the strut has a diamter that it too larger to fit into the opening of the hub. To use an earlier hub on a later strut, you must machine the hub to enlarge the opening to allow the later style nut to fit."

The issue is that I don't know when the hub and spindle thread/nut changed. Since you are talking a 68 vs 86 I would guess tha tyou may have the problem.

Oh, if anyone finds anything incorrect on that page, please feel free to edit the wiki page and fix any inaccuracies! biggrin.gif
Richard Casto
I forgot to mention. While I haven't seen these myself I think that the difference in the spindle nuts is not just size, but that the thread is different. I think that is why you can't just use a nut from the older spindle (which I assume is smaller in diameter) on the newer spindle. I didn't include that in the wiki as I am not semi-sure that this is correct. But it may help you find out what the truth is.
skline
Simple question, simple answer. No, they are not all the same, I myself have seen at least 3 different hubs from different year cars. Some are thicker, some are longer, they were visible differences in each one. As for what years? I dont know enough about it to give you that information. In PET however, the different years have different part numbers even though the illustrations are all similar.
blitZ
Thanks for posting the link, Richard.

Your Wiki is really shaping up, answered several questions I had about 5-lugging. thumb3d.gif
Aaron Cox
930 hubs have an extra 15-20mm width on them to increase the track without spacers....
Aaron Cox
and i believe in 72 they changed the spindle nut size... as there are 2 style of thrust washers available for a 72.....

72 is also when they changed ball joint styles
914Sixer
64-68 are the same. 69-73 are the same. 74-up are the same. Like Arron said the 930's were different. The best way to check is to see when the wheel bearings changed. I believe the 64-73 are all the same and the 74-89 uses different bearings.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 9 2007, 02:47 PM) *

64-68 are the same. 69-73 are the same. 74-up are the same. Like Arron said the 930's were different. The best way to check is to see when the wheel bearings changed. I believe the 64-73 are all the same and the 74-89 uses different bearings.

We are just talking hubs right? Any idea what changed between 68 and 69? Are the solid rotor hubs different than the vented rotor hubs?
Eric_Shea
Any idea what changed between 68 and 69?

The front rotors changed to all vented. This showed up in a rotor mating surface that was 3-4mm further out toward the wheel.

Various hubs for various years will be different. 64-68 were "basically" the same but, S cars had vented rotors.

Ted is "probably" going to have a problem with the 68 hubs on his DAMNNEARFREE struts... regardless. biggrin.gif Meaning; even if he gets them to bolt up, my guess is the rotor will be out of the plane.

Best solution is to find the proper hubs for his DAMNNEARFREE struts... lol3.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 9 2007, 01:25 PM) *

Any idea what changed between 68 and 69?

The front rotors changed to all vented. This showed up in a rotor mating surface that was 3-4mm further out toward the wheel.

Various hubs for various years will be different. 64-68 were "basically" the same but, S cars had vented rotors.

Ted is "probably" going to have a problem with the 68 hubs on his DAMNNEARFREE struts... regardless. biggrin.gif Meaning; even if he gets them to bolt up, my guess is the rotor will be out of the plane.

Best solution is to find the proper hubs for his DAMNNEARFREE struts... lol3.gif

popcorn[1].gif
davep
Yes, I believe that the solid rotor hubs and the vented rotor hubs are different. Basically I believe the solid rotor hubs are the shortest, and the turbo hubs the longest.
Eric_Shea
Solid rotor hubs and vented hubs are darn near identical.

If you lay them on a table studs up you can run a straight edge across the top of them.

Now, down below is where the rotor attaches (same hubs sitting on the same table). There is 3-4mm more shaved off the later vented hub.

(Don't make me go to the Britt Dodd Design Studio!)
Rotary'14
Here's my .02,,,,

I have a set of hubs I cleaned up from an early 911 that had vented rotors. I purchased a set of 1969 911 front struts with solid rotors. Both hubs have the same part # 901 341 605 3R!! Now if there is a difference,, it should be negligible sp? because Porsche would have used a different part #,,, right?

When I searched www,,, I came upon this site

http://www.vdubengineering.com/technical/conversions.htm

and that dood says the same hub was also used on mid 80s 944. I would think that most 5 lug hubs for standard suspension Porsche cars all had 901 341 605 3R hubs. I think there are different hubs like skline says,, but those are for turbos, and other special run vehicles, that had much larger tires/spacers, etc. Porsche does not throw out good engineered parts, they use them over and over again.

well that's what I think,,, beer3.gif beer3.gif

-Rob
913B
Thank you all that replied. Now it is time to do some homework.
Eric_Shea
Rob,

Part number or casting number?

I've had them side by side and saw a big difference... confused24.gif

Same hub... agreed... just milled differently for the rotor mating surface.

Good luck Ted.
914Sixer
944 and 911 hubs are way different. Offset is the critcal difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.