Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s at riverside
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
otto (http://www.ottosvenice.com/) sent me this cool pic from Riverside ...

don't know anything about it, maybe he'll shed some light on some of the details.
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

skline
I am going to guess, 1972 or 1973, that coming from the 72 T-Bird parked in front and the 71/72 mustang mach1 also in the picture. They made that same body style from 71 to 73 so it is in there somewhere. smile.gif
skline
And of course the 72 Caprice Classic and 70 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser wagon also seen in the photo.

I miss those days
So.Cal.914
A very Cool pic Andy, I remember that A frame. And I agree 71 -73.
bondo
Where in Riverside was that raceway? Is that building still there?
andys
Riverside is long gone. Here's an overlay of what it looks like today (actually that overlay is acouple of years ago, so there's more developement that's not shown).
http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/Riversid...rside%20Overlay

Wow, you guys are good! Though I remember the A-frame, but I can't identify the year(s). I remember the track real well; raced there many times (even on the CanAm long course). Loved that place! A former racer bud spearheaded the funding for the memorial plaque that's now placed in an adjacent park. Basically there's no evidence left of the track at all, AFAIK. Some of the streets just to the East are named after some of the more famous racers.

Andys
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(bondo @ May 9 2007, 11:37 AM) *

Where in Riverside was that raceway? Is that building still there?

Bondo do you know where the 60 and the 215 join? There is a huge mall there now

just East by south east of the junction. Saw some great races there.
SLITS
That "A" frame building disapeared long before Riverside shut down. There was a slot car display inside .... I don't remember what manufacturer put it in there ..... maybe Ford.

Also, that timing tower went away long ago too.

When they tore Riverside down, I wanted to purchase land in turn 6 or turn 9 and put a restaurant there and call it just that. Alas, I was poor (and conditions haven't improved) and was not able to do that.

We did "acquire" the sign off of Day Street. The one that said "Competitor's Entrance". It's only 8' X 4'. It "disappeared" during the "Last Lap of Riverside Race sponsored by that really bad beef jerkey company that starts with an "O". Fortunately, they guys that cut it down went to jail and we wound up with the spoils. It's a long story.
RoninEclipse2G
it's so sad to see good racetracks get pushed out and get built over, here in colorado we just lost Second Creek raceway to developers pushing us out. and I just recently found out that down on the south end of castle rock (just south of the denver metro area for you non coloradans) there used to be continental divide raceway, huge track back in the day that nascar used to run on before everything went ovals and tube-frame, you can still see the shape of the track on satellite fotos
Elliot Cannon
I spent a lot of time watching races at Riverside. A few bucks got you into the pits to rub elbows with P. Jones, Sam Posey, Dan Gurney, etc. I saw Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart race there as well. Sorry to see it go. The best spectator track.

Next time you're at Laguna Seca, look out at all the homes being built around that track. Just a matter of time.
Elliot
Ferg
Cool Pic! Some observations, and guesses.

I see two sixes and two fours.

Black six seems to have it's sail and trim blacked out and removed.

Black four may have the same???

Momo wheels were available early on.

Vista Crusiers rocked then and still Rock aktion035.gif

Ferg driving.gif

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 9 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Cool Pic! Some observations, and guesses.

Black six seems to have it's sail and trim blacked out and removed.

My 72 came with out the trim or vinyl from the factory, I think it just depends on

what option package it had and or how it was ordered. smile.gif
skline
I see two with 4 lugs for sure, one with hub caps so it would be an unknown and the 5 lug would be a six, how can you tell there are two 6's there? Or are you just assuming the hub cap car is a 6?
skline
The hub cap car has 10 holes in the wheels and the other one with the caps missing only has 8 holes, is that it?
SLITS
Ferg had a dream that he was there polishing them to keep the Riverside dust outta all the crannies. It was a wet dream.
type47fan
QUOTE(skline @ May 9 2007, 05:55 PM) *

The hub cap car has 10 holes in the wheels and the other one with the caps missing only has 8 holes, is that it?

yup!
Crazyhippy
Hub cap car has a long valence too...

BJH
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(skline @ May 9 2007, 05:52 PM) *

I see two with 4 lugs for sure, one with hub caps so it would be an unknown and the 5 lug would be a six, how can you tell there are two 6's there? Or are you just assuming the hub cap car is a 6?

I could tell by the 914-6 on the rear of the car. smile.gif
Ferg
Yep, I was going on the rims and the rear valance and exhaust tip, along with it appears the rear emblem is slightly bigger...

Besides who's gonna go through all the trouble (especially back then) to convert to five lug and put steelies on blink.gif

Ferg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.