Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Michelin XZX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
My newly acquired 914 came with Michelin XZX SR 15's. They are at least 12 years old as the car has been off the road and under a tarp for that period of time. They look almost brand new (no cracks or dry rubber). The rubber is in great shape, due to lack of sun exposure, with a lot of tread left.

Are these tires worth the effort of putting on ebay or selling directly? I'm thinking of replacing them if someone with a show car could use them. If the value is the same as new tires, I'll sell. Otherwise I'll drive on them.

Thanks!
porschecb
I use to run those tires back in 75/76 and were a very desireable tire. I use go all over So.Cal looking for used because with very little tread left they were like racing tires. Great for PCA time trials. Don't know what they are worth nowadays. confused24.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 9 2007, 10:47 AM) *

My newly acquired 914 came with Michelin XZX SR 15's. They are at least 12 years old as the car has been off the road and under a tarp for that period of time. They look almost brand new (no cracks or dry rubber). The rubber is in great shape, due to lack of sun exposure, with a lot of tread left.

Are these tires worth the effort of putting on ebay or selling directly? I'm thinking of replacing them if someone with a show car could use them. If the value is the same as new tires, I'll sell. Otherwise I'll drive on them.

Thanks!

Most likely worth something to somebody.

I'd post 'em up and see if a show pony comes up with enough cash to make it worth your while. Figure out what that is, then set the reserve accordingly.

If they don't meet it, chuck 'em.

pete
dr914@autoatlanta.com
definitely sell them to someone who is displaying concours! They are worth at least 50 each as the coker tire replicas are probably 180 each new!
woobn8r
I work in the tire business....I had those on my 240Z back in the late 70's...

They are now worthless. (Unless they were OE on some vehicle and the owner is a CW). ....as far as value goes...in my neck of the woods they charge $3.00 ea to dispse of them for you....$ -12.00.

You could keep them to store your car on in the off season, or nail them to a dock to stop your boat from hitting it too hard....maybe try the local go cart track as a crash barrier.....

As far as tires go...technology has come leaps and bounds in even the last 5 years, so these ancient boots cannot hold a candle to a more modern product. XZX is not an ultra high performance tire (even when new) so a medium to low priced quality tire is way better.

Michelin had a 5 year casing warranty on these....after 12 years you know there is degredation of the rubber, and possibly the composite belts in the casing as well. Even though there are no visible "weather check" cracks I don't believe these tires would be safe on the highways....I hate to say you would even be better off with some cheap, off shore knock off POS of a new tire than what you've got.

Although, I wouldnt put crappy speakers with a great stereo....so I think you should dig deep in the pockets and buy some decent tires worthy of your 914.

IMHO....cheers.
Sean
914Sixer
They might be good for show but I would not drive on them. They other option is to make them tires for your roller cars or parts cars.
John
I did a web search on those a little while ago (it came up in another thread) and I think they still make them in Europe. I haven't seen them for sale in the USA for years. I used them on my car until I couldn't find them any more. They seemed to last a long time, but were not a real performance tire.

just my $0.02
Demick
I had XZX tires on my 1969 Plymouth Valiant. Ha Ha. A quality tire, but not what I would call a high performance tire by any means.
Rav914
Copy all. Thanks for the info.
SLITS
Wow, I'll buy 'em. Combined with my SS brake lines, I'm sure to crash, die and collect on my life insurance. Ya listenin' Krusty One?
ws91420
15 yo tires probably dry rotted with hole in the sidewall like swiss cheese and more cracks than you can find at a plumbers convention
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 9 2007, 12:14 PM) *

definitely sell them to someone who is displaying concours! They are worth at least 50 each as the coker tire replicas are probably 180 each new!

George,
Not necessarily so. XWX's were only for the sixers - not fours.

I have a set of CN36's, bought in '79, with less than 2000 miles (a few autocrosses excluded). Used almost exclusively for concours, but I'd never travel on them because of the age. No cracks, tubes inside, but I wouldn't trust them for open road driving. Still, they suit MY needs.

Helps if you take precautions towards preservation.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 9 2007, 08:32 PM) *

George,

I have a set of CN36's, bought in '79, with less than 2000 miles (a few autocrosses excluded). Used almost exclusively for concours, but I'd never travel on them because of the age. No cracks, tubes inside, but I wouldn't trust them for open road driving. Still, they suit MY needs.

Pat

Sorry all - thought you said XWX's, not XZX's. Got too excited, I guess. XWX's - great tires of the period. XZX's - barf! Had a set of those on an '82 Scirocco & prayed every day that they'd wear out - horrible tires - never did, after 55k miles, when I sold it to a nieghbor.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
davep
I'll agree with the fact that as 'show tires' only, they have some value. They are too old to trust on the street, and definitely not for track use. They may look cosmetically fine now, but start driving on them, and I think they will quickly fail.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and that is the value. Show tires.
Gary
Another data point. These are still available new from Coker: Michelin XZX.
orange914
QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 9 2007, 10:47 AM) *

Thanks!

i've had both good and bad experiances with michelins. the good was with LTS's on my pick up-very nice ride wear and traction. the bad was with an aged but not worn set (like yours). they split and came apart on the freeway with no warning. i've heard about this with older michelins. driving.gif blowup.gif
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 9 2007, 10:32 PM) *

George,

Pat

Pat:

Sixers came with the XAS's, the XWX 70 series tires were offered with 911 series of the time. (My six has the original XAS that appears to have never been used.)

Now that you mention tire size, we here in Maine are seeing the state enforce (via inspection stations) a law that has been in existance for several years now, requiring that replacement tires be O.E.M. in both size and rating. Tire outlets have been cited for selling tires of different profile from originals. I've been told that higher speed rated tires are being overlooked, but not size.

If the owner's manul doesn't offer the profile you want, tough luck. Before the inspection stations toughened up, I'd mail order what I wanted and mount them myself, and have a tire center balance them.

type47
whoa... i got 3 165/15's out by the road for the trash pick up. maybe i should same them biggrin.gif somebody picked one up... i also have been told to trash my 4 bolt x 130 vw wheels (or rims as the yougin's call 'em), 6 each.
orange914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2007, 08:14 AM) *

and that is the value. Show tires.

i've got a very nice, no or low wear zxz mounted on a pedrini. i think its been a spare all it's life. good for cw show spare, but due to age i wouldnt recommend running it. trades?? idea.gif
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.