Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello! Checking in from Alaska
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Managed to get the 914 out of the driveway (not an easy chore since I had just got my syncro vanagon stuck) the other day and took it for a drive. The first drive of the season is always so much fun, it was even nice enough to take the top off.

It reminded me that I hadn't been here in a while and so I thought that I would check in. I used to live in Oregon and had a desk job that gave me plenty of time to spend here. My move to Alaska got me back into commercial fishing and I just got back from the Bering Sea so when I'm home my time is spent doing other things. Like trying to keep all my older cars running.

The 914 is running great and is my daily driver when I am home in the summer. I live 25 miles from the harbor and half of it is corners so the car gets used properly. I must say that the Alaska roads are a little tough on it, lost the valance last summer, and the paint is a little rough but it still is a blast to drive.

Anyway I'm glad to see this sight is here, keep up the good work.

Sean

PS For those fans of Deadliest Catch here's a pic from a real highliner

IPB Image

So.Cal.914
Good to hear from you especially with that job...Looks cold.

I must say that the Alaska roads are a little tough on it, lost the valance last summer, and the paint is a little rough but it still is a blast to drive.

I would leave it off and not worry about the paint, just keep up with the rust

prevention. Can't see it from the inside and you can always fix it when it's no

longer your DD. Have fun and be careful.
notbobvilla
Great to hear from the frozen north. Is the TV show "Deadliest Catch" anywhere close to how it really is? Glad to see a 914 as a DD. Be safe! Stay warm!
jim_hoyland
Thanks for the update; You can post some of the Alaskan picture postcard scenes with your 914 in the foreground.... smile.gif
Katmanken
Tell me that wasn't your driveway in Homer where the bear killed and ate part of a that moose. Just kinda cracked the chest, ate the heart and wandered off.

Video on utube.

Ken
seanery
Nice to see you, Sean! Watching that show gives me a newfound respect for what you guys are doing up there!
JB 914
Hey, I remember you!

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Post pics of the roads and the fishing!
Rhodes71/914
I would leave it off and not worry about the paint, just keep up with the rust

prevention.

It will stay off for now, rust now that's a different issue. Something happened to the paint on my rear trunk and a bunch came off when I took it to the car wash, I think it will get rattle can treatment until I am ready for a proper paint job.

Is the TV show "Deadliest Catch" anywhere close to how it really is?

They do a pretty good job, but of course it is a tv show and they have to keep it interesting. The don't show how monotonous it can get when you have 30 pots in a row with 500-600 keepers of opelio crab that you have to sort. Also I think they should show some of the galley table talk, might be too much bleeping.

Tell me that wasn't your driveway in Homer where the bear killed and ate part of a that moose. Just kinda cracked the chest, ate the heart and wandered off.

Great footage and I'm glad it wasn't in my driveway, my wife worries enough about bears as it is and all we have seen is a couple of black bears around our house. Alaska public radio interviewed the guy and he was pretty matter of fact about the whole thing.

I'll try to get some shots of some good curves.

Fishing, well it will be mostly commercial -

IPB Image

Eric_Shea
Hey Sean,

Great to see you.

Big hello to you and your lovely wife. Are you coming to SLC this summer?
Root_Werks
Hey Sean! Long time no hear from. biggrin.gif

Glad to hear everything is okay with you and your family. Yeah, take some pictures of that 914 with some Alaska backdrop for us. boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.