Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped the Tranny........How to remove seal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Borderline
I have a leaking input shaft seal on my transaxle. I've dropped the tranny as was suggested and it worked pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion, Dr. Evil!

Now, how do I get that seal out? Is there a special tool? Maybe I'll have to make something up. I'm thinking of a thin plate shaped like a "T" How is it done normally?
headbang.gif

Thanks for the help,
Bill
VaccaRabite
Mike has a tech article on how to do it, I think.

Its in one of the sub forums, a quick search will find it.

I think you will find what you are looking for here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=56892

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 9 2007, 12:07 PM) *

I have a leaking input shaft seal on my transaxle. I've dropped the tranny as was suggested and it worked pretty good. Thanks for the suggestion, Dr. Evil!

Now, how do I get that seal out? Is there a special tool? Maybe I'll have to make something up. I'm thinking of a thin plate shaped like a "T" How is it done normally?

yes, there is a tool. kinda hook shaped. i had good luck with carfully pushing one side inside, then grabbing the thing and sliding it out.

gotta be careful tho, otherwise, you end up with the seal inside the tranny ...
smash.gif Andy
Heeltoe914
Like that. Just stay of the metal. Getting it in: look for a long pipe But make sure there are no burrs or sharpe areas to cut the new seal. I put Curl-T around the outer to help seal it. make sure to put oil on the inner lip so its not dry going in and at start-up. My jack handle happen to be perfect for this job. Other will chim in and have better or more shop like ways but this works very well for me.
SirAndy
also, check the main shaft for play ...

i had a tranny with a bad main bearing and the shaft would "wobble", causing the leak. replacing the seal did nothing to prevent leakage.

dry.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
probably $5 at any FLAPS
IPB Image

You could use a long piece of PVC pipe with a similar diameter to push it back in.
Cap'n Krusty
Kuril T, or ANY other sealant, defeats the rubber-to-metal design intent. You should never use a sealant unless the surface of the bore is chingered up. Doing so actually INCREASES the chances of a leak. Wipe a little motor oil on both the inner and outer seal surfaces, and carefully drive it in. BTW, there'll be a little wobble in the shaft. The pilot bearing takes care of that. The Cap'n
Borderline
Thanks for all the replys! I made my own tool and had the seal out in a couple seconds. Lubed up the new one and drove it it. The tool had to be made out of a thin piece of metal to fit between the shaft and the seal. The shaft feels pretty tight. I can't feel any slop. So I'm happy agin and ready to put the tranny back in!

clap56.gif

My quickie tool:
Dr Evil
Dude, you ROCK! Good job, great advice here. I agree, no sealant is to be used on the new seal unless the mating surface is buggered up. I like the technique that you used, much easier than ways I have done and eloquent. Gonna need to reference this page for other in the future. I usually do the one side in gripping the other side method. smilie_pokal.gif
mills914/s
Done deal Bill? We both have driving 914's? The guy that put in my clutch yesterday had to put in the new seal where the shifter fork goes into the tranny. It was hammered. No leaks now. Clutch is good and strong. Im driving !!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.