Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Drove a Lotus Elise Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
My buddy bought an Elise last year but is forced to sell it now. So I was able to take it for a little spin this afternoon before he ships it to the new buyer.

All I can say is wow! The thing just loved to rev. Acceleration was brisk and the handling was outstanding - it seemed hardwired. The only real downside to the car was that you sit so far down below the high longitudinal that it is a bit rough to get out of it. I wouldn't want to try to do that too often if I were advancing in years.

I've read in some posts where a Subie powered 914 (like my current project) is much like driving an Elise. I now need my car finished yesterday. drooley.gif
toon1
What subie motor are you going to use? Post some pics. of the conversion
TonyAKAVW
I have ridden in an Elise at an autocross and have a suby conversion. My engine is a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated engine and feels nothing like the Elise. My car has a whole lot more low end torque than an Elise. The Elise feels a bit faster at higher RPMs where its power band kicks in. Handling is of course a whole different ballgame. At the time I had a stock sway bar up front and KYB shocks. Lots of body roll, etc. The Elise was extremely flat and sharp handling.

My guess is that a lowered 914 with upgraded suspension, a turbo Subaru motor, and glass hoods and bumpers would feel a lot like an Elise.
Chuck
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 9 2007, 04:56 PM) *

What subie motor are you going to use? Post some pics. of the conversion

I'm going to use the turbocharged 2.0 liter. Front suspension will be 80s vintage 911. Car will be flared of course. Rear bumper will definitely be fiberglass. Front, I am planning on keeping the stock bumper with a fiberglass bumper top and GT valance. Goal is ~250hp and 2100lbs; which should compare favorably to the Elise at 190 hp ~1980lbs.

Right now the car is torn apart in the garage with the rustoration just beginning. I am taking pictures as I go though and will do some type of write up when the whole thing is complete.

My buddy was really admiring how straight my car was and how good of shape it was really in; he thought it was too bad that he was selling his Elise before my car was done as we wouldn't be able to run them.
Crazyhippy
The 250 you are looking @ is at the wheels... w/ just a ecu flash... the 190 that lotus gets is @ the flywheel.... more like 155-160 @ the wheels...

BJH
Chuck
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 9 2007, 06:53 PM) *

The 250 you are looking @ is at the wheels... w/ just a ecu flash... the 190 that lotus gets is @ the flywheel.... more like 155-160 @ the wheels...

BJH

BJH,

Did you remove the CAT and if so, what kind of improvement did you get with that? Also, did you leave the transaxle stock or did you block off 1st gear? Supposedly, the turbo motor, even in higher states of tune, is not hard on the transaxle.
Crazyhippy
I built a new up-pipe, and it is catless (good idea anyways, as the factory up-pipe cat doesn't last long, and destroys the turbo on it's way through)

Beyond that i built the rest of the exhaust too, no cats, and only a glasspack for muffling biggrin.gif 2.5" all the way back.

The transaxle is 100% stock. I dont use 1st gear outside of parking lots. It's not needed w/ the new found TQ.

I expect the transaxle to die a miserable death eventually (building a 500HP capable STI motor, de-tuned a bit). When it does i'll do another stocker in it's place.

The secret is the tuning... hours of dyno time w/ the right person was good for just over 100HP beyond stock for me.

BJH
Chuck
I am planning on a new up pipe and a possible reflash as well. I'd like to get as much hp as I can without getting into the scatter category for torque on the transaxle. That is why I said ~250hp (which I understand is pretty much what you have with the cat removal and a freer breathing exhaust). If I could get ~275hp without endangering the transaxle, I'll do that. Just not sure what that equates to for torque on those motors. Not looking to get anywhere near as crazy with mine as you. biggrin.gif

As a side note, I just picked up a complete 911 Carrera front suspension for this project.
Crazyhippy
They build TQ w/ boost... I run 18psi UP TO 4k rpm, and then taper down to 14 @ 8K... The midrange pull is insane.

I figure transaxles are $100-$150 a piece for useable cores, Plan for it in advance, and i'm 45min from back to work.

Even @ 286HP and 272ftlbs to the tires, traction breaks before the transaxle (so far)
TonyAKAVW
As a side note, I just picked up a complete 911 Carrera front suspension for this project.

Excellent. I just installed the same thing on my Suby conversion about 3 weeks ago. MUCH nicer than stock. And the brakes are a very nice improvement too. Might want to consider upgrading to a 19mm or larger master cylinder. I have a 19 on mine and the pedal travel is considerably longer now that I have the bigger pistons. I would think a stock 17mm would get really long.

-Tony
Chuck
Tony,

Yep, a larger master will definitely be done when it comes time to mount the new suspension and brakes. My setup also comes with a sway bar. Should really help out as well. I will also be ordering Eric Shea's five lug rear setup when the time comes.

How much of a handling improvement (body roll, etc.) have you noticed with your new setup?
Chuck
Even @ 286HP and 272ftlbs to the tires, traction breaks before the transaxle (so far)

I would love to know what all you did to achieve these numbers. Those would be close to ideal for me.
TonyAKAVW
Hard to quantify really, but I'd say there is 50% or less of the body roll that I used to have. Its a pretty dramatic change. I'd say the braking has had an equally impressive improvement. My stock 914 calipers were in good shape, and I could get the tires to skid, but the main difference now is that in addition to being able to lock up the tires more easily, I have a lot better feel and a better ability to modulate the braking force.

-Tony
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Chuck @ May 10 2007, 08:14 AM) *

I would love to know what all you did to achieve these numbers. Those would be close to ideal for me.

Link Standalone, porting everything under the sun (heads, intake, Tumble generator valve removal, throttle body, exhaust, turbo and i'm sure i forgot something) free flowing exhaust, E-bay top mount intercooler, and one hell of a tuner. We also have a MUCH smaller drivetrain loss than WRX's do. The WRX guys would be pushing 260-265HP w/ similar mods. chairfall.gif A 16G turbo would make the HP come easier ($700 from turbochargers.com) and save the HOURS of porting i did thumb3d.gif

Feel free to ask any questions, i've been through a few of these motors now headbang.gif headbang.gif

BJH
grantsfo
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 10 2007, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Chuck @ May 10 2007, 08:14 AM) *

Link Standalone, porting everything under the sun (heads, intake, Tumble generator valve removal, throttle body, exhaust, turbo and i'm sure i forgot something) free flowing exhaust, E-bay top mount intercooler, and one hell of a tuner. We also have a MUCH smaller drivetrain loss than WRX's do. The WRX guys would be pushing 260-265HP w/ similar mods. chairfall.gif A 16G turbo would make the HP come easier ($700 from turbochargers.com) and save the HOURS of porting i did thumb3d.gif

Feel free to ask any questions, i've been through a few of these motors now headbang.gif headbang.gif

BJH

Freind of mine has an Elise and it is very close match to miy 2.4 liter 914-6.
GS Guy
Sorry to continue the hijacked.gif

BJ - if you were to re-build a trans, would you opt to eliminate 1st gear like the V8 guys - and save the requisite $5 bills in 1st gear parts - maybe put that towards a billet intermediate plate clap56.gif ? I'm contemplating that now with a trans rebuild coming up.... in a lighter car.... with a turbo Suby.....
Jeff

QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ May 10 2007, 02:38 AM) *

The transaxle is 100% stock. I dont use 1st gear outside of parking lots. It's not needed w/ the new found TQ.

I expect the transaxle to die a miserable death eventually (building a 500HP capable STI motor, de-tuned a bit). When it does i'll do another stocker in it's place.

The secret is the tuning... hours of dyno time w/ the right person was good for just over 100HP beyond stock for me.

BJH

Crazyhippy
Even in my v-8 cars i have left 1st gear available. I dont use it, but i dont remove it either. I am a fan of billet intermediate plates, so would use one if i were re-building. I'd also do a taller 5th gear to drop the rpm's on the freeway. This motor is perfectly happy @ 2000 rpm (no need to turn a cooling fan...) and has more HP there than my 1.7 did anywhere...

1st is nice to have while cruising in crowded parking lots. Just keep your right foot away from the loud pedal.

BJH
Chuck
I actually hijacked my own thread so what the he...

BJH, with the horsepower that you will be generating, any thoughts of going with a subie transmission rather than the 901? Porcharu is working on a kit to mount up the entire subaru drivetrain. I am seriously considering this if/when it becomes available as this would appear to provide a number of benefits: 1. better shifting; 2. parts availability; 3. higher power handling; etc. With this setup, I would seriously consider further engine enhancements (more hp).
Crazyhippy
From where i'm at now, it would take more work to put in a subbie trans than a 930 (less $$ though)

I ran 400+ SBC HP through a 901 box for 15months. i did break a few, but they're disposable biggrin.gif

Ask me in a few months how hard it is to break one w/ subby power
jimkelly
like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOnOXXc-ps
Qarl
piratenanner.gif

That's one of the favorite videos on Elisetalk.com

My Exige S is pushign 240+ HP with mods... just passed the first warranty inspection and a few tuners are coming out with some ECU maps for the S that, with some easy bolt-ons, should put me into the 260 HP arena...

That's going to put zero-to-sixty times in the sub-4 second range...

drooley.gif

There are a lot of current/previous 914 owners on Elisetalk.com

Hope you're all well...

Pics of the current ride... http://www.my914-6.com/lotus

Cheers...

Q
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.