Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch Disk Thickness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
I need to replace my clutch, it's getting out of adjustment.
I have two other ones here that I can put in but I don't know what kind of life they will have. They look good but without the thickness I don't know if I will be wasting my time putting one in. If one has better than 50% life left in it, for the 2000 miles a year I drive it, I think I will put it in.
Anyone have the thickness of a new one?
BTW '72 1.7 but I don't think it matters.
Thanks
mrhurtalot
id pull my new one out. but i just put it in and iwant to drive!
craig downs
My brand new disc measures .400 or 10mm thick.
tracks914
The used one I have on the bench measures .356"
I'll have to compare that with the one I take out.
Then again if I can get a new one for about $75 I'll just do that and be done with it.
sww914
Brand new one here measures 10mm or .392".
LvSteveH
If I recall correctly, the old school rule of thumb is to replace it if under 7mm. Quick and easy check is to see if a 7mm open end wrench fits over the disk.
tracks914
This disk measures 9mm but there is some deflection in the metal plates between the 2 disk halves.(all the waty around) If I compress the disk it measures 8.47mm all the way around. Is this normal?
????
Justinp71
QUOTE(tracks914 @ May 10 2007, 03:45 PM) *

This disk measures 9mm but there is some deflection in the metal plates between the 2 disk halves.(all the waty around) If I compress the disk it measures 8.47mm all the way around. Is this normal?
????

My brand new one was the same way, something like 9.8mm and 9.5mm compressed. That was the $68 6-spring, 4-spring replacement disk.
tracks914
[/quote]

My brand new one was the same way, something like 9.8mm and 9.5mm compressed. That was the $68 6-spring, 4-spring replacement disk.
[/quote]
Man you SoCal guys $68. I just priced a 4 spring SACHS for $180CAN here in Timmins. I think if I go new I will go with the $60 on Ebay.
tracks914
I just pulled the one off my spare 1.7.
I measured it at 9.60mm and 9.10 compressed. It still has the writing on one side of the disk so I think I will put it in for now.
I think I just got lucky.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.