Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MOT? Cleaning the garage floor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
I know this has been done before. Looking for te most contemporary technology.

The 914 has an oil leak from the number one cylinder head seal & it gets pretty messy(whle running) until it's changed.

I'm looking for something the REALLY cleans up the oil seepage on the garage floor (selling this place soon). What's the latest?

Interestingly, my '73 tail dragger is dry as a bone - no marks, and it is the least maintained car in th garage!

I need the oil marks from the 914 gone!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 9 2007, 10:59 PM) *

I know this has been done before. Looking for te most contemporary technology.

The 914 has an oil leak from the number one cylinder head seal & it gets pretty messy(whle running) until it's changed.

I'm looking for something the REALLY cleans up the oil seepage on the garage floor (selling this place soon). What's the latest?

Interestingly, my '73 tail dragger is dry as a bone - no marks, and it is the least maintained car in th garage!

I need the oil marks from the 914 gone!

I use kitty litter for oil spills. Just pour it on, and leave it there for a few days to soak it up, and then sweep it off.

If it is a lot of oil, you might also try power washing and then kitty litter.

All this said, my garage will never be totally devoid of oil stains.

Zach
Crazyhippy
I also use kitty litter, and on the really tough spots, leave it there, and drive over it for a week or so, let the weight of the car crush the kitty litter into a much finer powder, adn it pulls the stains up realllllllly well.

BJH
xsurfer
Griot's has two types. I bought a bottle of something at OSH but haven't been able to get the cars out yet to try it. Also waiting to get the cyl teener to stop leaking the mississippi river before it try. Once clean I'll epoxy paint the floor to end the problem.

good luck!

p.s. If you try the stuff from OSH let me know the performance you got from it.
sww914
To get rid of nearly all of the oil stains, you'll need to clean it, and then acid etch it. I had to do it in a house I rented before I left. It sucked.
Home Depot sell acid concrete cleaner, OSH and Lowe's probably do too.
mrhurtalot
pour new concrete?

haha

well use kitty litter as said. but get some nice flat shoes (EG: classic vans)

and really grind the shit in. back and forth twisty turny etc.

gets it real good. no stain!
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ May 9 2007, 11:21 PM) *

pour new concrete?

haha

well use kitty litter as said. but get some nice flat shoes (EG: classic vans)

and really grind the shit in. back and forth twisty turny etc.

gets it real good. no stain!

Like driving over it, only faster w/ more of a workout.... clap56.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
After the kitty liter thing,spray the area with Break Clean , then scrub with brush, that usually gets the oil stain left from the K.L. And it's cheap!!!!
Dave slap.gif
r_towle
Tools needed (all are needed)

Goggles
Rubber kitchen gloves
Long sleeve shirt and pants (junk clothes)
1 foot long 2*4
one disposable heavy duty brush
One bag kitty litter, small
One quart muriatic acid

Kitty litter first, one night dump it on about 1/2 inch thick, leave it for the night
Sweep up what is there, make sure you soak up all the easy to get oil.
Do the kitty litter thing till all the surface oil, and a bit of the top stuff is gone.

Now with it sort of dry, put on fresh kitty litter and get done on your hands and knees. With the 2*4 grind the kitty litter into the concrete as if you were using a brush...but you are just leaning on a 2*4...grind it in hard...till its all dust...
That will get the rest of the surface moisture.

Do that one again to be sure.

Then put on the gear...muriatic acid can burn skin and eyes beyond repair.

Use the brush and the acid to do the rest of the cleaning..you may find that the rest of the floor could use a muriatic acid bath...if so, dillute it spread with a foam mop, and let it sit for a hour or so...not long enough to evaporate or it will leave a salty looking residue.

Muriatic acid is how you clean a tub, toilet, pool, patio etc...it works really well, but not if there is alot of loose oil..
So kitty litter first.
Then muriatic acid.
Oh, it also burns your nostrils...so a mask helps, and really good ventilation.

It does work, but you need to be safe...its toxic and caustic...so have fun with it.
It leaves white spots on your skin if you get a splash...the white spots are dead skin now...
It is sold in most hardware stores for heavy duty cleaning.
Rich
bottomend
If you are going to use the acid, have a container of baking soda/ water nearby. I believe the ratio is 5:1. 5 parts water to 1 part baking soda. If you get some acid on your skin the water alone will not neutralize it. You HAVE TO USE THE BAKING SODA or else it'll keep burning into your skull untill your eyes pop out of their sockets and explode, sending fragments into your mouth, which will in turn, choke you till you vomit up your own lungs, making it hard for the paramedics to decipher which gender your corpse was.
sww914
[quote name='bottomend' it'll keep burning into your skull untill your eyes pop out of their sockets and explode, sending fragments into your mouth, which will in turn, choke you till you vomit up your own lungs, making it hard for the paramedics to decipher which gender your corpse was.
[/quote]
Sounds like fun! I'm gonna try it and I'll let you guys know how it went.
ws91420
I have used a product that I found at a Family Dollar store called Awesome. Does a real good job on whitewalls and white letters too.
JmuRiz
I've heard of people having good results using pour-n-restore:
http://www.pour-n-restore.com/
I'll have to use it on my floor before I do an epoxy coating.
r_towle
muriatic acid is not that bad.
I did a whole pool in a tshirt and shorts.
It stings, but only for a second, and it leave a little white mark.

The eyes, protect them always.

Rich
Eric_Shea
MGFIDT IWW... WWPU?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.