Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail vinyl replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I replaced all my sail vinyl when I had the car painted a year ago...unfortunately one of the sails have a couple of air bubbles that have developed over the last year. I want to remove the vinyl and re-lay it down again.

My question...I should be able to get the vinyl up without hurting it...it was initially applied with 3M spray adhesive. I need to remove the glue off the car sail and the back of the vinyl. What is the best stuff to remove the glue on both surfaces without ruining the vinyl?
Laquer thinner?
Thanks

swood
Maybe 3M adhesive remover? I just got some for the backpad adhesive (cabin side of firewall).
John
On the car, I would use 3M adhesive remover. It works well. On the vinyl, I am not sure. You could try using the remover on the vinyl as well , but you may want to use small amounts to make sure that it is not damaged.

Just my $0.02
computers4kids
Since the vinyl is all new, and I'm assuming it's aftermarket...can't remember...bought it from some member. I'm hoping to save the one piece of vinyl so I don't have to try to match it.
Eric_Shea
Sail vinyl kits are cheap. The only way to do this "right" is to simply get a new kit. (under $40 clams right?)

I used "Goof-Off" to get the adhesive off my car.

John's right... I'm not sure the adhesive would work on the vinyl. Vinyl is a gauze base which is adhered (sic) to the vinyl. The remover would probably damamge it.

Just buy new...
Grelber
Before you do that, try an old wallpaper trick. Put a SMALL hole in the middle of the bubble with a straight pin. Then, put a towel over the bubble and press for a couple of seconds with a hot iron. The iron heats up the glue, and usually reseals the bubble (and the hole).

If it doesn't work, you needed a new one anyway.

tracks914
QUOTE(Grelber @ May 10 2007, 10:21 AM) *

Before you do that, try an old wallpaper trick. Put a SMALL hole in the middle of the bubble with a straight pin. Then, put a towel over the bubble and press for a couple of seconds with a hot iron. The iron heats up the glue, and usually reseals the bubble (and the hole).

Or better yet, get a large hypodermic needle. Inject a small amount of adhesive remover into the bubble. Just enough to soften the glue. Work it around the bubble then squeeze as much of it out the hole as you can. As the adhesive evaporates the glue will reset.
If that doesn't work, buy a new piece and do it right.
computers4kids
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 10 2007, 11:14 AM) *

Sail vinyl kits are cheap. The only way to do this "right" is to simply get a new kit. (under $40 clams right?)

I used "Goof-Off" to get the adhesive off my car.

John's right... I'm not sure the adhesive would work on the vinyl. Vinyl is a gauze base which is adhered (sic) to the vinyl. The remover would probably damamge it.

Just buy new...

I have no problem with buying a new kit...I want to just replace the one side...the other two are perfect. Unless I order from the same supplier (which I have no idea who I bought it from)...it won't match.

QUOTE(Grelber @ May 10 2007, 11:21 AM) *

Worth a try

QUOTE(tracks914 @ May 10 2007, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Grelber @ May 10 2007, 10:21 AM) *

Or better yet, get a large hypodermic needle. Inject a small amount of adhesive remover into the bubble. Just enough to soften the glue. Work it around the bubble then squeeze as much of it out the hole as you can. As the adhesive evaporates the glue will reset.
If that doesn't work, buy a new piece and do it right.

Another great idea
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.