Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove the headlight motors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
How does the motor and mechanism for the headlights come off? Don't want to tear the rubber cover over the mechanism...
Click to view attachment

Whats this? It doesn't look stock and its spliced into the harness at the headlight.
Click to view attachment

Lastly, whats this little bracket for? Is it stock?
Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Kev beer.gif
Aaron Cox
never seen the box or bracket before....

pop the rubber cover off. you will see 3 mounting bolts, and the splined drive shaft.
pop the pivot rod off the drive shaft... and then pull the motor.
hwgunner
(What Aaron said only with more words)You need to take the boot off at the round part (toward the windshield). Under there are 3 allan head bolts I beleive. You should be able to get to 2 of them without any problem but for the last one the arm will be in the way so you will have to turn the black knob on the top of the motor to get the arm to move out of the way. That arm also comes off by removing a small "C" clip and will need to be removed to actually get the motor out. You also need to push the relay socket out of its little hole. I generally put a little lube on there to make things slide easier. Put some lube on the rubber cover also to make things easier.

As for the second pic I have no idea what that is and the third pic I do not think that is stock but what year is the car and what motor.
kconway
Oh, forgot this last one. This is the hinge point repair that was used on my car on both sides. I've got the new sheet metal to replace these with. The hinge bolt in the arrangement goes thru the inner wheelhouse. I'm wondering if I could use that hole to align the new hinge point metal while welding it in.

Click to view attachment
kconway
QUOTE(hwgunner @ May 9 2007, 09:57 PM) *

(What Aaron said only with more words)You need to take the boot off at the round part (toward the windshield). Under there are 3 allan head bolts I beleive. You should be able to get to 2 of them without any problem but for the last one the arm will be in the way so you will have to turn the black knob on the top of the motor to get the arm to move out of the way. That arm also comes off by removing a small "C" clip and will need to be removed to actually get the motor out. You also need to push the relay socket out of its little hole. I generally put a little lube on there to make things slide easier. Put some lube on the rubber cover also to make things easier.

As for the second pic I have no idea what that is and the third pic I do not think that is stock but what year is the car and what motor.

This is a 74/2.0
watsonrx13
Here's a link to my website that shows how I installed the headlight mechanism....

-- Rob
kconway
Got the mechanical apart, how does the relay holder the motor is wired into come out? beer3.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Use some rubber care or other rubber lubricant, and push it through with a small screwdriver, working your way around. BTW, ONLY turn the motor in the direction of the arrow on the knob. The Cap'n
kconway
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 10 2007, 09:58 PM) *

BTW, ONLY turn the motor in the direction of the arrow on the knob. The Cap'n

Ohhh fffffuuuuuuucccccccchhhhhhhh...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(kconway @ May 10 2007, 10:03 PM) *

didja unscrew the knob?
kconway
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 10 2007, 10:07 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ May 10 2007, 10:03 PM) *

didja unscrew the knob?

No, at least it never came off. I turned it both directions trying to get clearance on the mounting fasteners.
Aaron Cox
didja get the relay holder out? be gentle with a screwdriver.... and push it out the back...
kconway
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ May 11 2007, 07:39 AM) *

didja get the relay holder out? be gentle with a screwdriver.... and push it out the back...

Yep, got it without tearing anything.
Thanks,
Kev
bd1308
yeah that motor is very torquey too, one time i tried to like stop the motor by pushing my finger onto the screw thing the knob threads into and click the relay---

yeah I got a very nice machined circular cut in my finger
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.