Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT (Eagle Scouts)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Neal
I just wanted to see if there were any Boy Scouts on this BBS or had kids that are Scouts.
I have a 17 year old Eagle Scout. I never was a scout and I thought it was just BS but after being a Scout dad for 5 years I have a new found respect for the insitution.

Neal
Joe Bob
I made it to Life....the heart....what was that 15 merit badges? Then I got interested in track and cross-counttry running.
Bruce Allert
I work with a group of Eagle Scouts that do traffic directing for us at an annual function. The same group has volunteered to clean brush around the campus as soon as weather permits. They are a neat bunch of kids. Very level headed & seem to know pretty much what direction they're traveling. smilie_pokal.gif

.......b
markb
I made it to Star before we moved. No Scout Troop in the new town. I missed it badly. It's a wonderful place for kids to learn stuff us parents don't normally get a chance to teach them.
Andyrew
I was a cub scout and a boy scout... Quit boy scouts because I didnt have enough time.

I'd rather drive than do scouts, IMHO...

Andrew wavey.gif
Neal
I agree with the time issue, I was into racing Motocross and keeping my Maico breako running. I think I would have enjoyed it if there had beem an active Troop nearby

Neal
mikester
I am an Eagle Scout.

I think that at the time I was involved in Scouting (late 70's into the '90s) it was a very good organization. The Troop I was in was sponsored by an Air Force squadron. I had very good leaders who had excellent values and I believe I carry them to this day. I am friends to this day with many of the leaders I had and the boys I was in scouting with. One thing I learned that I don't know that a lot of people learn is the absolute value of honesty.

Now though, I have some trouble with the exclusivity of the organization. It's stance on homosexuals and religion while I believe it has every right to have based on our laws - I think that they are contrary to the values Scouts aims to teach. I was taught tolerance and respect - respect is in every aspect of scouting and as an organization it doesn't seem to really respect the differences in other people. that fact still remains that Scouting is a private organization and they have every right to deem who they allow into their membership.

Personally, I would have some trouble sending my children to an organization which states absolutely that you must believe in God and you must have a heterosexual orientation.

Those two things are not what makes a good scout.

Lastly, the organization in my observance of late is not about challenging young minds to be better it's about keeping boys busy and giving them awards. My first patrol leader, and one of the finest scouts I've ever had the honor of knowing is still a leader in the troop he was my first patrol leader. He has two daughters - but scouting and what that troop provides the community mean so much to him that he is the Scoutmaster of the troop to this day - well - at least until recently.

Recently he failed a scout on his "scoutmaster review" for Eagle scout. The boy had apparently failed to complete the community project he had gotten approved by the troop council (made up of the parents of the boys). Instead, he started another unapproved project. He didn't finish that one either and turned all his paperwork in anyway. So, this scoutmaster told him to go back and do things right - then he would sign off on the scout master review and the boy could go onto his "board of review" done by the troop's council. Well, the local representation of the BSA got a letter from the boy's parents explaining that the boy was going to turn 18 and he had already more or less completed all of the tasks but that the scoutmaster was being unreasonable. The local council instructed the troop to give him his council board of review AND then award him Eagle Scout. When I was a scout, the rank of Eagle was earned - NOT awarded and that is how it was always said. This is only an example of many other stories I have heard. Had this been my boy and those details true - I would NOT have pushed that scoutmaster to go against his principals. Failure is a much better lesson and I have learned it many times myself.

But, that's just my opinion - I'm only an Eagle Scout.

I am surprised when employers see it on my resume and are actually impressed though.

It was a good organization when it was about making the boy into a good man. Now it's about not getting sued. I've saved my books and I'll probably teach my children from it when the time comes.
redshift
I am. My dad made Eagle, honestly I can't even remember what I ended up at.

Something very profound happend, and I couldn't make meetings.

smile.gif

M
reverie
I guess it all depends on the leadership of the troop, and the level of involvement and support of the parents, which makes it possible to have more fun and camaraderie - more camping, canoeing, hiking, and etc. I was lucky to be in a good troop.. we had guys of different religions, and nobody cared much about the religious stuff. I'll always remember the camping and singing and skits and stuff.. great fun! I still have them all written down.

Same as MikeZ, I got to about 15 merit badges, and then decided to focus on other stuff.. organizing activities, field trips, etc. And my first girlfriend was a distraction. smile.gif
mikester
Scouting for me was a wonderful time. Boating, hiking, summer camp, high adventrure trips where we went backpacking for 2-3 weeks in yosemite or new mexico...when I was seventeen I climbed half dome and mt whitney in the same week.

Oh, and then there was the girl scouts...always at the camp just down the way - just like those after school specials only...well...nevermind the only.

wub.gif
Qarl
I was a Scout. I think I made it to Star. I joined late. When I was 18, and we all were out of Scouts, the same group of guys still went camping together. Except, these trips involved unofficial Scout beverages in 12 oz cans. And usually fireworks.
Neal
Thanks for all the posts, A son of a dear friend of mine (he was an Eagle Scout) committed suicide last September, the last time I saw him was at my son's Eagle ceremony as he was part of the Court of Honor. He went home that next day got a speeding ticket (one of many) in his WRX and put a gun to his head. I have a picture of him and my son on their way back from a 50-mile canoe trip that traced part of Lewis and Clarks route in Montana I can’t look at it without tearing up at just the sheer waste of a young life. Scounting/Parents/Genes can't always protect our kids from the pressures they endure these days. Sorry for the downer but this post just opens up a lot of memories.

Neal
Scott
Also made it to Life. Was in "scouts" in one way or another for about 13 years. Started in Indian Giuides, then Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and finally Explorers. I was a little more hard core thatn most, also going to a few survivle schools. ( Mountians during summer, Mountains during winter and the desert cayon area during summer (southern Utah). It was a blast and teaches one a lot about themselves.
Neal
Scott, you sound like my son, he has been on 5 50 milers and is a Chapter Chief in the Order of the Arrow.
He just likes the whole ideal of Scouting.

Neal
Scott
I did too. It teaches you just how mutch you cab take and gives you great self confidence. The most I did was a 26 day Desert one n Utah. They gave you a strict list of what you could bring and checked you when you got there. They issued you a measured amount of food, that if you could make it streach...it would last you 10 days. You had to make it the other 16. Into the bargan we had to hike 75 miles and be solo for a week. They also taught us mountain climing, repelling and even hiking at night (no flashlights allowed). It was truly a great experience.
URY914
I was never a scout. I like that fact that they set thier own rules, are based on religion and don't bow to external pressure.

If I had a son, he'd be in Scouts.

Paul
Tom Perso
I am an Eagle Scout and I am quite proud of it (as is my father). In fact, my father was just awarded the silver beaver award (which I am proud of).

I have to agree with the semi-closed mindedness of the Scouts, however, their beliefs fall into the same catagory as mine.

Glad to see all of the Eagles around here.

Tom
Mueller
I was a Scout many years ago, I just remember the camping trips being the best part......the worst part?

Having to ride my bike to the meetings with my uniform on and getting teased by non-scout punks ar15.gif

As to the Scout rules?

I don't agree with them 100%, but I have to give them credit for not breaking/bending the rules which happens all to often in order to remain "PC"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.