Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Location for Antenna?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I'm going to install an antenna on the passenger fender and am wondering if there is a standard location.

Anyone have one installed that might be willing to post a pic and maybe a couple of dimensions?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 10 2007, 09:25 AM) *

and am wondering if there is a standard location.

dealer installed ... the cars rolled out the factory without antenna holes ...

so, NO, there's no standard location ...
bye1.gif Andy
TROJANMAN
Depending on the political affiliation of the dealer, some were on the right side, others on the left biggrin.gif
There were no moderates back then, so you never saw them in the middle of the hood.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
There actually WAS a factory location as for example our M-471 came with the factory antenna installed and the hirschman antennas that were available at the dealer had a specific schematic for installation, and that is on the left drivers side just in front of the door on the back of the fender. (we have the factory hirschman instruction brochure here but cannot scan it as we are backed up with the 914 catalog production right now.
Many dealers opted to make money on radio installation so had their people install aftermarket radios and antennas on the cars. Many antennas were mounted on the right fender or even the cowl, as the run from the radio was such that they did not have to install an antenna lead extension and/or they were lazy.
I would HIGHLY recommend that the antenna be installed in the proper factory position ! (we could fax the diagram!)
skline
Here is a factory brocure picture and it clearly shows it on the drivers side front fender. Just want to contribute what I can. I actually prefer them on the passenger side but that is my preference. I guess it might help if I spell it correctly smile.gif Brochure smile.gif
dflesburg
I got mine from Crutchfield it is a power antenna that mounts to the inside of the windshield behind the tint. it looks like a T

No antenna holes in my car, do have a 300 watt amp and four big speakers....
JmuRiz
QUOTE(dflesburg @ May 10 2007, 10:31 AM) *

I got mine from Crutchfield it is a power antenna that mounts to the inside of the windshield behind the tint. it looks like a T

agree.gif
Don't cut up the car, get a hidden antenna like the one listed above. I got a cheap version of the same from my FLAPS.
TINCAN914
I removed mine..
When I get around to it, I am considering mounting it in the front trunk. My thought was to put it under the front trunk carpet, either suspended between two plastic sleeves or in some tubing to keep it off of the body. Just a thought..
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ May 10 2007, 10:40 AM) *

I removed mine..
When I get around to it, I am considering mounting it in the front trunk. My thought was to put it under the front trunk carpet, either suspended between two plastic sleeves or in some tubing to keep it off of the body. Just a thought..

Not so sure how well that would work. Ever hear of a guy named Faraday?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 10 2007, 10:55 AM) *

I removed mine..

I can tell you how well it doesn't work. PO installed the antenna on my 911 in the trunk, and I am trying to figure out how I am going to move it. You will pick up some strong FM stations, but you will get no AM. That Faraday guy could probably tell you why one band works and the other doesn't when shielded by metal.
TJB/914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 10 2007, 09:42 AM) *

There actually WAS a factory location as for example our M-471 came with the factory antenna installed and the hirschman antennas that were available at the dealer had a specific schematic for installation, and that is on the left drivers side just in front of the door on the back of the fender. (we have the factory hirschman instruction brochure here but cannot scan it as we are backed up with the 914 catalog production right now.
Many dealers opted to make money on radio installation so had their people install aftermarket radios and antennas on the cars. Many antennas were mounted on the right fender or even the cowl, as the run from the radio was such that they did not have to install an antenna lead extension and/or they were lazy.
I would HIGHLY recommend that the antenna be installed in the proper factory position ! (we could fax the diagram!)

I agree with Geo. & a few others. It's mounted on the driver's side. Here's a closeup photo of what they look like with the key to pull the atenna up. I got mine a few years ago from AA & factory correct. popcorn[1].gif

T
Allan
I don't really care what side it goes on. I'm just looking for a decent pic as to where it's located (as a general rule) on the top of the fender.

The car had one of those "Hidden" antennas when I got it and it worked like junk.
N14
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 10 2007, 12:41 PM) *

I don't really care what side it goes on. I'm just looking for a decent pic as to where it's located (as a general rule) on the top of the fender.

The car had one of those "Hidden" antennas when I got it and it worked like junk.

Here's mine
N14
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Headrage

Your allowed to put it where ever you want, but here is where the factory suggests. popcorn[1].gif

See attached 73 factory photo.

T
tdgray
Not saying that you should not put it on the fender just saying that I got mine from Consumers Marine. Small interior antena that I put on the rear glass just above the seal. Couldn't really tell it was there and it worked well.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 10 2007, 12:55 PM) *

I removed mine..

Well FM is about all I would expect to get in anyway. Hell I listen to my CD's more then anything else anyway..
dflesburg

funny the hidden antenna in my wifes new Sienna works better than any I have ever seen... mine works great even without a motor in the car...

Aaron Cox
Faraday LOL chairfall.gif
dflesburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

mills914/s
I was thinking of putting an electric one in the engine compartment, on the side so it pops up under the metal grill on the side. But I dont know.....I dont want to have to cut anything on my car.
Dr Evil
Mills, I have my antenna hole welded up and am going to do what you mentioned. You can get a remote powered that has the larger section at then end of a flexible section so you can put the mast anywhere you want. I am going to have mine come out of the little side grill over the battery area. I just bough one of the remote types off of ebay for $30.
mills914/s
Thanks Dr evil,
Im going to look into that. I think it would be cool like that.
skline
Harada used to make the remote ones back when I did car stereos and the part number was RZW200 or RZWB200. The b denoted a black mast and base instead of chrome mast and base. They were used for Camaros and cars like that with thin fenders and limited space.

In my opinion, you would not need the remote one if the battery was relocated somewhere else like on many conversion cars.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 11 2007, 11:31 AM) *
I am going to have mine come out of the little side grill over the battery area.

If you do this, won't you pick up a lot of interference from the motor and alternator? Especially on the AM chanels.

Zach
Dr Evil
I guess we will find out, but I dont know for sure
Aaron Cox
and CDI boxes give off RFI iirc...
Dr Evil
Or I could say, "Not if my engine is not running dry.gif "
mills914/s
I never thought of it like that your right. There would be al kinds of noise messing with it from the motor. Dr evil, try it and let me know what happens. LOL
Dr Evil
Well actually, in many modern cars where the engine is incorrectly placed in the front, the antenna is placed right next to the engine, thus I am thinking that interferrence will not be as large of an issue as it is being made out to be.
tracks914

agree.gif
Windshield is the way to go. no holes cut in the car.
1970 Neun vierzehn
It seems to me that the factory provided a "knock out" for an antenna wire to be routed from the left front fender well into the trunk, just below the hood spring. idea.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(tracks914 @ May 12 2007, 02:03 PM) *

agree.gif
Windshield is the way to go. no holes cut in the car.

agree.gif No holes is a good thing. I will try the in car one if my set up doesnt work. For $30 I couldnt pass up the opportunity to experiment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.