Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think I screwed up...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I put the engine in (with jkeyzer's help), but not the shift bar. Now I can't seem to get the shift bar in. I did manage to get the bushing in though. smile.gif

It's an early car (70) and a sideshift bar. I'm using a regular tailshift bushing because the previous owner of the sideshift bar put a sleeve on it instead of using a conversion bushing.

I can get it most of the way in through the bottom or the top, but not all the way. Am I screwed? Does everyone that does a sideshift conversion have to pull the engine? Can I get by with putting a jack under the engine and just removing the engine mounting bar?
Mike D.
QUOTE(bondo @ May 10 2007, 12:05 PM) *

Can I get by with putting a jack under the engine and just removing the engine mounting bar?

Yes, that was going to be my suggestion. Did it that way once on a 71..
Justinp71
I ran into this a couple of months ago.

We lifted up the engine a couple of inches (in the front), I believe the engine mount bar must have been removed. biggrin.gif
TonyAKAVW
Ditto Mike D.'s comments. Though I would use a jack stand under each head, or at least be careful if you are using just a jack.

Or even better.

If when installing the shift bar, you are not able....
Go cable!

You have the cable shifter ready for the other car, just make a second one smile.gif
Joe Ricard
Yup remove the engine bar and

slap.gif
bondo
Yup, that sucked. It's in now though. Thanks for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.