Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qball
Car had been running on battery last couple of months limiting my driving and autox. So I desided to bite the bullet and and change it out, 7 hours later its done blink.gif. Never again, probally easier to drop the motor.
toon1
It is a PITA, in my opinion it easier to leave the motor in. Took me about 3 hours.
Qball
QUOTE(toon1 @ May 10 2007, 03:07 PM) *

It is a PITA, in my opinion it easier to leave the motor in. Took me about 3 hours.

My wrenches book quoted 5 hrs. Which I figured was close to the actual work time spent without those two breaks I took( union job beer3.gif ) A nice lift in my garage would have knocked another couple off. Pushrod tube seals are next on the list.
toon1
QUOTE(Qball @ May 10 2007, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ May 10 2007, 03:07 PM) *

My wrenches book quoted 5 hrs. Which I figured was close to the actual work time spent without those two breaks I took( union job beer3.gif ) A nice lift in my garage would have knocked another couple off. Pushrod tube seals are next on the list.

Man! a lift would be great. pushrod seals arent bad. I am not sure if you can get all of them all the way out because of the suspension ear. You will be able to pull them out far enough to replace the O-ring.
shelby/914
I feel your pain. Don't really know how long mine took since it was in several sessions, but probably 3-4 hrs all told. Now I keep procrastinating on putting it back in cause still do not know what the real source of my problem is. Battery reading 16.2v. Not the rergulator, tried 3 can't all be bad. Had the alternator checked by two shops just to make sure. Both say its good. Oh well good experience, NOT. headbang.gif
Goge
I'm right in the middle of swapping mine, motor-in-car. Just found a broken thermostat cable. I'm sure something else bad will pop up soon...

Wish me luck.
rjames
It would be good to have one of these documented for a tech article w/pics.
Or is there one already?
Qball
QUOTE(rjames @ May 10 2007, 08:32 PM) *

It would be good to have one of these documented for a tech article w/pics.
Or is there one already?

I printed out a tech article from Pelican( thanks Dave), but more pictures would have been helpful.
r_towle
IMHO this is one of the worst jobs on a 914.
With the motor in the car, it sucks.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.