Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OIl spots - removal - clean freaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Have a couple of small oil seep marks on the garage floor, under the 914 (none under the 911?). Had heavy cardboard underneath, but these slipped through.

Tips on getting rid of them? Apparently been there for +5 years.

Want the garage as perfect as can be, cause I'll sell the house in the next 12 months.

Pat
tod914
Hey Pat, try a stone pavement place for driveways/walkways/patios. They should have some cleaners that will get the oil up.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 13 2007, 12:01 PM) *

Hey Pat, try a stone pavement place for driveways/walkways/patios. They should have some cleaners that will get the oil up.

Todd,

It is absolutely excellent to hear from you!!

Hope you & yours are well. Will try your advice.

Pat
iamchappy
I have heard that Costco Heavy Duty laundry soap is amazing for lifting oil spots.
tod914
Hey Pat, I haven't been on much. My step father had a massive stroke back in December. Had my hands full contending with all of that. I'll try to be alittle more active on the site once things settle down abit more. Hope all is well by you. If your heading to any local events this year, let me know. I would love to see your car. Hows your car doing btw? Ive been driving mine abit, havent made it to any shows yet.

Tod
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 17 2007, 11:59 PM) *

Hey Pat, I haven't been on much. My step father had a massive stroke back in December. Had my hands full contending with all of that. I'll try to be alittle more active on the site once things settle down abit more. Hope all is well by you. If your heading to any local events this year, let me know. I would love to see your car. Hows your car doing btw? Ive been driving mine abit, havent made it to any shows yet.

Tod

Still up on jackstands!

The original purpose was to drain the fuel & replace all lines. But, once I got it up in the air I started finding a number of rubber pieces had degraded, and since I'm planning on the Charlotte Parade next year I'm trying to do everything at once. Not a good plan, but have plenty of time to get everything accomplished at a liesurely pace. Since it's been parked for several years, I've had to deal with a hoard of spiders too. Thank God for brake cleaner. Just got one tonight that I've been after for weeks - big enough to warrant a flea collar! Drank about 3 ounces of the brake cleaner before he finally called it quits! Darn, shoulda gotten a picture of it - bigest/ugliest spider I've ever seen, amy he/she RIP.
Pat
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Hay Pat;
You have the solution to your oil spot problem in hand!!!

BRAKE CLEAN, Spray the shit out of the spot, while scrubing with a brush. Repeat as nessary. This has worked well for me, the comminuity I live in
has a restriction on oil spots on the drive way approch. The management saw me doing that to my drive. Ask what i was doing ,and watched it work. In the next news letter this was reported as the approved way to remove oil spots.
Yours being old i might take a few times but this works well for me.
Dave slap.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Jun 22 2007, 05:23 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

Hay Pat;
You have the solution to your oil spot problem in hand!!!

BRAKE CLEAN, Spray the shit out of the spot, while scrubing with a brush. Repeat as nessary. This has worked well for me, the comminuity I live in
has a restriction on oil spots on the drive way approch. The management saw me doing that to my drive. Ask what i was doing ,and watched it work. In the next news letter this was reported as the approved way to remove oil spots.
Yours being old i might take a few times but this works well for me.
Dave slap.gif

Dave,

The brake cleaner seems to get at it, but I can't get enough of it to come to the surface. Each application seems to lighten it about 10%, though the surrounding areas are almost bleach white! Lots less of a problem, since I've killed the leak - just don't like looking at it. Thought about using the brake cleaner & a wire brush on my Dremel, but was afraid of a fire hazard. It's better now & I can live with it. May have destroyed some brain cells in the process (as if I had ANY left). Respirator 10 feet away - so much for smarts!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.