Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many of these 914 air dams were made?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
So Kinesis made a small run of these spoilers when Peter wanted to do something different with the front end of his car.

I got one of these, and was told it was one of two made (the other beind on Peter's car), but I have seen at least one more 914 wearing one (a black 914-6 with M471/GT flares).

I love its simplicity the way it references the foglight holes in the front bumper and provides a wide inlet for the oil cooler. Before I cut the ends off to adapt it to narrow-body 914 (or sell it....), I'm curious to know if any 914ers have seen it on other cars besides the blue Kinesis car pictured here and a black 914-6 on the East Coast...

Thanks! beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Another angle...

McMark
Send it to morph to take a mold of for reproduction. With permission from Kinesis of course. wink.gif

BTW, that is one of the most BADASS 914s I've ever seen. That's a new picture for my eyes. Is there an Excellence issue that covers that car?
seanery
Pete,
If you wanna sell it I'd be interested biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
I've been trying to find out who made this one. It looks like the sameone as the Kinesis car. I talked to the owner of this Black car but he said he could not remember who made it. If you find out who makes it I would also be interested in one.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Bob
skline
That is the spoiler I am looking for also. Put me in line to find out where to get one also. mueba.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2007, 02:13 AM) *

BTW, that is one of the most BADASS 914s I've ever seen.

I totally agree, that car is TEH HOTNESS drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
URY914
I don't recall it ever being in Excallance but 911 World did a great piece on it. I got it still. biggrin.gif
Van914
If someone does make this I would be a customer too.
van914
hwgunner
I would take one also so put me in line.

horizontally-opposed
Story was Peter Stacy of Kinesis custom made this spoiler for his super dark blue car (pictured). He then showed the car at Monterey in 1998 (Marty has pics of his display) and was asked to make another one.

So far as I knew, this was the only other one. But then here we have pics of the same black 914-6 I've seen with this spoiler. I know of no other cars with it and when Peter Stacy sold Kinesis, I lost track of him. There's a 986 piece he came up with to replace the rear spoiler trim bit that was very cool. I called a couple of years ago to see if they had any or would make any and the answer was "no."

So I know of three total, and have never seen another one. I love the design, its simplicity, and how it references the bumper design.

The one I have is new and has never been mounted and is skinned with a super thin coat of flat black paint to see what it would look like on my car. I would obviously have to ditch the flared ends to make it work on my (non-flared) 914. But I hate to take a cutter to it...

I'd be willing to loan this out for a mold to be made, but only with Peter's permission. Hell, I'd give it away if someone returned one to me in equal quality (it is very nice) but made for a narrow-body car.

Anybody have a contact for Peter? If he does not want it replicated, then I do not feel comfortable allowing it.

pete

P.S. Unfortunately, there was never an article in Excellence on this car. When I saw it, it had puny brakes and a weak 2.2- or 2.4-liter engine in it, just to get it around. Peter sold it to a guy in Canada not long after. Excellence doesn't really like to cover cars that are all show and no go. Well, except for concours cars... laugh.gif
horizontally-opposed
Hey Bob,

Can you get us a close up of how that spoiler meets up with the front flares on the black car. Stacy's car had subtly smoothed M471 flares, and I was told this could affect the fit of this spoiler to normal M471 flares...

Thanks!

pete
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 11 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Hey Bob,

Can you get us a close up of how that spoiler meets up with the front flares on the black car. Stacy's car had subtly smoothed M471 flares, and I was told this could affect the fit of this spoiler to normal M471 flares...

Thanks!

pete

Hows this. I got to say that this black car is one of the best I've seen. It looks like the spoiler is a copy of a LE about a inch or two longer with the opening cut out.

Bob

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I believe the guy in Canada tried to sell me that engine about 5 years ago. I think he wanted close to $20k for it. I thought AJ built a super-motor for it no? 2.2? 2.4?
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 11 2007, 11:14 AM) *

I believe the guy in Canada tried to sell me that engine about 5 years ago. I think he wanted close to $20k for it. I thought AJ built a super-motor for it no? 2.2? 2.4?

Wow... interesting. I can tell you, it didn't look like much in Monterey. Kinda like the brakes. Both surprised me considering the quality/effort of the rest of the car. I seem to remember Peter saying he was in process on the car, but I could be wrong.

Even so, it remains one of my favorite 914s of all time. wub.gif

Polished lips and gray centers for those wheels, Euro lenses, 3.4 twin plug, motorsport Brembos, and done... chowtime.gif

pete
Eric_Shea
I remember seeing pictures of the build on that motor. There were pieces like NOS Webers etc. If I recall, it was a very potent 3.2. The motor was one of those eat off the tin kinda things. I even had pdf's of the build sheet from AJ in SD... were did I see that write up??
Brando
Same spoiler I'm bonering for as well. I second the sending it to morphenspectra for repros if Kineses will let ya...
E-Man
Anybody know Pete? Is he out of town or something? Not getting a response and hope all is OK. -Mike

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=77666
McMark
I just called Pete, he's been in Florida, but he'll be back in the next day or so and will finally have a chance to respond.
GWN7
(For when he gets back)........ Is the spoiler, glass or plastic?
Twystd1
I want one....... bad...... Really.....!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I have a flared car.

Clayton
horizontally-opposed
Sorry, was driving.gif at Daytona... in a 914!!!

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

What a thrill, at least until the motor let go @ 150~ mph at the end of practice on Saturday. sad.gif

Ah well.

The spoiler is, best I can tell, fiberglass.

And it looks like it is sold...

As for pulling a mold, now is the time. It's got a (very) light and (very) scratchable skim coat of black paint and is otherwise in as-new condition.

I tried in vain to find Peter Stacy, but it'll be up to the new owner to do what he feels is best. Frankly, I get the sense that PS won't care too much, but I wouldn't want to bet on it myself.

It is one of the coolest 914 spoilers I've ever seen. It'd sure be nice if other people could have one.

pete
jfort
I will be flaring shortly and am interested in the front spoiler that would work best with the flares. please put me on the list if a list is made.
nsr-jamie
Wow ! That 914 is just incredible. That has got to be one of the best looking ones I have seen around, awesome picture!! Saved that to my hard drive, cool !!!!
E-Man
If no one is going to get their panties in a bunch about copying this, I'll get a mold made as soon as I receive it.
I'll also check the fitment on my car (flared) and see if there's any room for improvement that doesn't affect the look. Nice winter project to add to the list.
-Mike
E-Man
If you replied to this thread, check your messages.
computers4kids
If you're looking for one for a narrow body, this one from Renegade may work for you.
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.