Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't adjust my clutch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric914
I am doing a suby swap (in the future) and have the Kennedy suby adaptor with a stage 2 pressure plate, stock disk, and through out bearing Kennedy makes.

For the summer though I got a 1.8L air-cooled motor and have swapped the transmission over to it. I can't seem to get enough travel on the throw out arm as it is currently set up. The Kennedy instructions call for the removal of the washer under the pivot ball when installing on the Suby motor. I am starting to think I should have reinstalled this washer when I swapped the transmission back to the air-cooled motor.

Any thoughts? I hate to think I need to pull the motor so close to having things done.

If I need to add this washer back, does anyone know how thick it should be?
dflesburg
Call them, I wanted to make sure I was putting my stuff on the 3.2 correctly, I called them, they were very helpful. They do know what they are doing...
Cap'n Krusty
I've experienced problems of this nature with Kennedy clutches and will no longer use them. The Cap'n
ws91420
The way I read it he is asking what size washer to go behind the pivot point on the 1.8 w/ a stock clutch. He removed the washer for the conversion.
eric914
Thanks for the advice. I will call then when they open.

As a side note to the Cap'n - If you don't deal with Kennedy, were do you source uprated pressure plates from? If there is a better source I would use them in the future.
eric914
Just got off the phone with Kennedy and I do need to put the washer back in place to use the PP with a stock fly wheel.

Is there any way to verify that I have enough travel on the through out arm before I but the motor back into the car?
PRS914-6
I always set mine up so that the throw out bearing arm is 90 deg to the ball at half it's movement. This typically works out so the arm is about 1/4 inch away from touching the aluminum case at rest.. You may have to play with the thickness of washers to get this correct.

Make sure you seal the threads of the pivot ball so oil doesn't weep from the hole. Attached is a picture to show the orientation of the arm when assembled with the correct washer thickness.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.