Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Calipers on Rear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Evill Ed
Okay, I need to have my memory refreshed here. If I want to put stock 914-4 front calipers, 73-76 type, on the rear, is this a direct bolt on? I know I need to bend up new hard lines or do you need a banjo fitting?

Ed

BTW- I know that I will not have a parking brake.
campbellcj
It's a bolt-on but I think the calipers need to be spaced-over (recentered) a little bit. I can take a pic of mine this weekend if it would help.
Evill Ed
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Mar 13 2003, 04:05 PM)
It's a bolt-on but I think the calipers need to be spaced-over (recentered) a little bit. I can take a pic of mine this weekend if it would help.

Yes, pics would be great. What did you use to space them out, shim washers?

Ed
ChrisFoley
If I am not mistaken, the early front calipers fit on the rear with no adapter necessary. The pads will overhang the rotor a little though.
MarkV
Ed,

Nice avatar, little fuzzy though.

Mark

73 2.0
Brad Roberts
Ed,

I used washers to locate them. The last one I did took two of them (late calipers)

B
campbellcj
Yeah, just thick washers. I will take a pic tomorrow after work, or Saturday.
Scott
Chris,

Will the pads over hang if you use 914/6 rotors?
ChrisFoley
I don't know Scott, are the -6 rotors at least 1/4" larger in diameter? That is about what it would take.
Scott
I don't know chris. I guess that we will have to see if someone else knows.

So, any one know if the 914/6 rear rotors are larger in diameter than the stock 914 rears? By how much?
Dave_Darling
They are, but not by much at all. The Six rear rotors rub on some Four rear calipers, but only by a tiny amount. And they don't rub on all Four rear calipers...

--DD
campbellcj
I have the -6 rear rotors and -4 front calipers on the back of the car now. Just lemme know if I can measure or shoot pics of anything.
Scott
Yes...Maybe not measure but what are the fit issues.

Do you have the older calipers or later ones?

Used spacers?

Do the pads over hang the rotors?
Brad Roberts
Scott.....

They fit fine. I run them all the time.

Now.. please let me know TODAY whether or not I need to bring you front calipers for the rear.

I have never seen the pad overhang.. and wouldnt care if I did.

B
MJHanna
If you put fronts on the back, add an adjustable bias knob and take out the factory proportioning valve. beerchug.gif
Evill Ed
QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 13 2003, 06:49 PM)
Ed,

Nice avatar, little fuzzy though.

Mark

73 2.0

Oh man did I steal/copy your avitar?

I'm looking inot a new one ;^)

Ed
Evill Ed
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Mar 14 2003, 12:19 PM)
If you put fronts on the back, add an adjustable bias knob and take out the factory proportioning valve. beerchug.gif

I have M style front caliper. They are off of a BMW, not 320i, a larger BMW with vented rotors, 5 series I think. They have larger pistons than the Porsche M caliper.

With the stock 914 fronts on the rear, will I need a proportioning valve? Right now I have a T with the stock rear caliper with no braking issues.

Ed
MJHanna
Yes, in that you no longer have a matched system with the factory valve, you need to be able to rebalance the system. If you have a panic stop on the street and your rears lock up before the fronts your not going to be having much fun. driving.gif And on a track vehicle it’s imperative.
porschewiz
Hey Ed .... Are you running stock 914 rotors on the front?
Evill Ed
QUOTE(porschewiz @ Mar 15 2003, 09:11 AM)
Hey Ed .... Are you running stock 914 rotors on the front?

No, I have an early 911 front end with vented rotors and M style calipers.

I have the stock 914-4 rear calipers with 914-6 rotors, no proportioning valve.

I have never locked the rears on the street or the track.

I will add the proportioning valve as an added safety measure. Any recommendations for the valve?

Ed
campbellcj
I am seriously thinking about adding a valve too, for fine-tuning purposes. I have "A" calipers with SC vented rotors up front, and 914-4 front calipers with 914-6 solid rotors in back. I currently have a "tee" in place of the factory prop valve but I either need a more aggressive front pad and/or a wee bit more front bias.

A lot of the valves I see in the catalogs don't have the right metric fittings for the 914 -- you have to use adapters -- is there one with the correct metric flared fittings?
campbellcj
Bumping this thread...anybody have recommendations on the prop valves (see my last post above)? I would like to swap my front pads and put in the adjustable valve before my next event if possible.
Van914
I used the Tilton Valve on mine. It has the 10mm threads and went in very easy. It is the one that has 8 positions and a handle. Pelican, Performance and others sell it. It is on Page 138 in Performance Parts new 914 #53B catalog. I bought mine with out the plate they show and made my own. Saves $
Van
driving.gif
Brad Roberts
Chris,

What is the car doing under heavy braking ?? Your about to ad the perfect "valve" to the car. A 6cyl engine. The wieght of the 6 will have the rears doing more work. I'm betting your getting a uneasy feeling in the car after a hard braking from 100mph into a 50mph corner.

B
campbellcj
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 19 2003, 09:40 AM)
Chris,

What is the car doing under heavy braking ?? Your about to ad the perfect "valve" to the car. A 6cyl engine. The wieght of the 6 will have the rears doing more work. I'm betting your getting a uneasy feeling in the car after a hard braking from 100mph into a 50mph corner.

B

Yes; serious "sketchiness" under hard braking, like hauling down from 100+ for a 3rd or 2nd gear corner. No problem under light braking.

I still think a lot of it is the tire squirm (unshaved Ecsta V700's) and the wimpy front pads. I am unfortunately stuck with the Kumhos until I can afford another set of wheels + Hoosiers. But maybe I will try some R4's or Hawk Blues up front, i.e. a high-friction pad, and see if that helps. I have Pagid orange in the back; maybe a Pagid black up front would be good?
Brad Roberts
I am the wrong person for brake pad recommendations. I'm a Porterfield guy through and through.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.