Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump getting burning hot!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
Okay, so last week the car starting running crappy. checked the fuel pressure, was jumping around then dropped to 0(I have carbs running at 3lbs). So yesterday I installed my brand new back up pump. I was tunning the carbs, everything was going great. After 20mins the car start running crappy again, look at the fuel pressure it was doing the same thing again. Car died, fuel pump wasn't making any noise, checked and it was flaming hot! I have a primary and secondary fuel filter both are clean. Called Mallory they said it must be a bad pump, send it back. Fine, so overnight a new pump install it, this time checking it often. It starts getting hot, what the flip! I can hear the pump changing in pitch, so I think must be elec. I'm getting 13.5v at the pump. My volt reg is rather hot so I put in a new one, now I'm getting 14.2v at the pump. Still getting hot, change the relay( it was hot also) still getting hot!

some pics of the set up.

Any suggestions?
TROJANMAN
Out of curiosity, do you have a stock pump you can compare to?
akellym
FI pump? Yes I do have, not sure what you mean thou....
TravisNeff
Maybe you have a kinked fuel hose or clogged filter/sock in the tank?
akellym
Just check tanks is clean and so is sock. I'm running brake line for fuel except where you see the stainless.
akellym
just tried running a ground direct, was using a harness ground wire. Still no change.
yarin
Just a wild ass guess, but try to lower the elevation of the pump to tank level. This way the pump has to do less pulling. no?
Demick
Fuel pumps aren't really capable of pulling at all. It needs to be gravity fed from the tank to the pump. If your fuel level in the tank drops below the level of the pump, it will starve.

Fill your fuel tank and see if the problem goes away.

Demick
Demick
....and since most fuel pumps that I am familiar with are cooled by the fuel ----- no fuel, no cooling.
akellym
The photo doesn't show it, but the pump is in the front trunk about 1" off the bottom.

This problem is recent.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(akellym @ May 11 2007, 02:21 PM) *

I'm running brake line for fuel except where you see the stainless.

What size brake line?
akellym
3/8 and the stainless braided hose is -6 which I think is a little bigger than 3/8(not sure).

I just ran it 20 miles(hard) stop at around 10miles check the pump seemed normal as far as heat goes. Got back and it seem about the same. If it's not raining tomorrow I'm going puts some miles on and see how it does. My concern is if it run at normal temps on the hwy, what will happen if I were stuck in traffic?

These are the things I have done to try and correct the promblem.

1. new pump and made sure all fuel filters were clean-didn't help
2. new volt reg-didn't help(I'm showing an increase in volts from 13.2 to 14.5)
3. new fuel relay-didn't help
4. cleaned all grounds-didn't help
5. ran new ground direct-didn't help
6. checked fuel flow and carbs

Aaron Cox
-6 means 6/16" or 3/8" smile.gif

just for what its worth smile.gif
TROJANMAN
good luck
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 11 2007, 05:39 PM) *

Kelly,
I guess the only other thing to do is isolate it from the heat by relocating it, or putting tin around it.

whats the heat source affecting it in the front trunk where it is mounted?
TROJANMAN
you're quicker than i am. i edited that when i realized my mistake, and before your last post tongue.gif
you must have quoted me during my edit.
and given the fact both of our posts have the same time stamp, i'd say your pretty damn quick laugh.gif
Katmanken
Heat means more work than expected, more DC power supplied than expected, too small of a power line, or a failing motor.

Gotta load of crap gas?

I had a Vanagon take on about 3/4 of an inch of crud in the bottom of the gas tank in one fillup.

Pump motor heated up and whined due to excess work pulling through the filter. Took over 45 mins at the car wash to finally blow out all of the crap. That was when our ever faithful oil companies knew they had screwed up the gas mix so it would ruin the fuel tank sensors and shipped it anyway.

Can you rig up a bypass and pump the the gas right back into the tank filler without heating up the pump? If you can, the problem is between the pump and the carbs.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.