Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you had the money for the 916, would you buy it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
If you had the cash to pick up the blue 916 that is for sale, would you do it? I know it is one of 12 and a prototype, but I personally like looking at a good GT (real or conversion) just as much.

I love 914's and I like things that are different, but compared to what else you could get for that kind of money, I am not sure if the 916 would even be in my top 10... or 20.

Sorry to be random, I just re-read the excellence article on the car over lunch..... it needs new carpet. laugh.gif
Eric_Shea
I doubt it... not at that amount. I agree... probably look for a GT.

Which issue?
lotus_65
in~

one~

heatbeat.

pfb
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would not! Way too much money for those cars these days!
RoninEclipse2G
I would love to have one but not for that kind of money. I can think of a bunch of other things that I could do with that kind of cash and still have a blast, course if I were stupid rich (aka: more money than sense) I'd buy it
Scott S
Hi Eric -
I think it is the one prior to what is out now - very recent.
Ferg
Agreed. I would much rather dream of owning and vintage racing a GT...
(but then I'd have to paint it every month blink.gif )

And yes, the dirty carpet bugged me to.

Ferg FERG.gif

jgara962
If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I would rather buy a Porsche race car with a racing history behind it. RSR, 935, 962. You can replicate a 916 pretty inexpensively.
nomore9one4
Fuch No! It would look no different than my faux 916 on the jackstands. w00t.gif I think I would buy a 356 for every day of the week with the cash. drooley.gif
woobn8r
Nope.

It'd be a garage queen...I'd be afraid somthing would happen to it...
It would be no fun as I could not modify/personalize it...

Make a replica for a fraction and drive the p*ss out of it!
iamchappy
If I had more money than I could ever spend in a life time I would have no problem purchasing it.
John
NO
TROJANMAN
yes.Because if I had that much money, chances are, I would have money to burn. So yes.

But seeing how I am dirt poor: No way in hell.
Demick
To truely afford to buy that car, you have to be someone who has millions in disposable income.
Being able to scrape together the $300K to buy the car is very different from being able to afford to spend $300K on that kind of car.
So if you can truely afford it, you've already got a dozen or more other exotics in your collection. Why not add a 916 too?

Demick
carr914
Sure, just to make the rest of you guys drool.

T.C.
r_towle
its not a good investment, and in the end that does matter.

There are alot more collectable ones out there...the 916 is not one of them.

If I was going to spend that kind of money, I would give George or someone like him 40k, then buy a brand new 3.6 from porsche for it..total would be 50k~~~ for a really scary car.

Rich
So.Cal.914
No, I like to drive to much. And a 916 is one of those cars I would not want to

drive(except maybe a parade) on the street with bonehead low performance

drivers.I would rather have a badass conversion with all the goodies and a sick

3.0 that breathes fire when the turbos cough. But thats just me.

Gustl
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 11 2007, 10:24 PM) *
If you had the cash to pick up the blue 916 that is for sale, ...

this car sold recently - so that's no longer the question

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 11 2007, 10:24 PM) *
I know it is one of 12 and a prototype, ...

10 + 1 prototype

wavey.gif Gustl
markb
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 11 2007, 03:32 PM) *

No, I like to drive to much. And a 916 is one of those cars I would not want to

drive(except maybe a parade) on the street with bonehead low performance

drivers.I would rather have a badass conversion with all the goodies and a sick

3.0 that breathes fire when the turbos cough. But thats just me.

agree.gif
Bleyseng
Yep and then put a subie engine in it. bootyshake.gif
horizontally-opposed
I dunno, if I had it I'd drive it. The one nice thing about $150K+ cars is that you just about can't total them. And, so long as they're not original anyway (like the blue car), why not fix them after a shunt or repaint after rock chips?

It was made to drive, after all, and the funny thing about a 916 is you could park it in the Mission and it wouldn't get keyed. After all, to most people, it looks like a bad 914-based kit car. biggrin.gif

However, I'd rather spend the money buying that blue Kinesis 914 and sticking a hot 3.4 in it -- or build a seriously bad-ass, seriously accurate Yellow Bird replica.

To date, still the best old Porsche I've driven by miles...

...and miles.

pete
SLITS
Nah, I'll take a GT40 though.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 11 2007, 06:00 PM) *

agree.gif thumb3d.gif
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 11 2007, 05:43 PM) *

Yep and then put a subie engine in it. bootyshake.gif

Damn, beat me to it!!! av-943.gif biggrin.gif drunk.gif rocking nana.gif
porschecb
Why would I want two!!!!!!!!!
rick 918-S
I'm in if money was not the issue. I would need to hire a guard to keep me away from it though... dry.gif I have a habit of modifying things..... blink.gif
boxstr
I spoke to the owner of the car four years ago. The motor was out and he would sell it then, at $175,000. I gave it serious consideration. But bought a home in Palm Desert instead.
CCLIN914NATION
So.Cal.914
The home in Palm Desert was a better investment.
bigkensteele
I am not sure. I think that the 914 is finally (30 years too late) beginning to be appreciated in the Porsche community. As one of 11 or 12 or 16, depending on who you want to believe, it is one of the rarest Porsches ever produced. At $300k, it is not a bargain, but it may very well appreciate past that in the next 5 years.

I remember trying to get my dad to buy a Dino that was advertised in Hemmings for $11k. That was back in the '80s when the 308 was popular. I KNEW it would be a good investment, even though I was only 15. My dad drove a Pinto at the time, so we were not what you would call affluent, so he passed on the opportunity.

Long story short (if it is not too late for that), Pops probably made a hello of a lot more by socking away that 11k into his 401k than he would have had he bought the car, but you can't go out to the garage at night and drool over your 401k. You can't fire up the engine of your 401k and listen to it hum like only 10 other people on Earth can.

The kind of people who buy this kind of car don't buy it as an investment. They buy it because they want it and they can.
Lou W
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 11 2007, 06:04 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 11 2007, 06:00 PM) *

agree.gif thumb3d.gif

agree.gif thumb3d.gif
cyclocross
yes....and I will drive it....if I have that kind of money. In uk, you see per-war bentleys running in vintage race all the time. And they drove the heck out of it.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 11 2007, 01:24 PM) *

If you had the cash to pick up the blue 916 that is for sale, would you do it?

Nope. I'd take a tenth of the money and build a 914 that could beat the 916 up one side and down the other. And it'd be a car I wouldn't be afraid to drive on the street--or at the track! Then I'd have fun figuring out to do with the rest of the $$.

--DD
JPB
OH HELL YES BEHOTCHES and ten more at that! Why? Because that would mean the rest of my life was in order. beer.gif
rhodyguy
yes. then i would part it out and have the hulk hauler drag it across the gravel on to the back of the tilt bed.

k
watsonrx13
HELL YES
IronHillRestorations
About ten years ago I had the chance to purchase Jerry Leonard's 916, which (correct me if I'm wrong) is the blue car with the pumpkin leather interior. The deal was brokered by a guy named Brian Stewart, IIRC.

The price at that time was $75k, and being single without any dependents or debt, I seriously considered getting that car. After much deliberation, I passed. Considering the asking price then vrs now, probably a bad decision, and as a dedicated 914 nut perhaps a missed oportunity.

So why did I pass? I had just completed a extensive 6 conversion/upgrade/how good can I make this car project, which was a very fun car to drive. I thought "what am I gonna do with a 916?" I mean sure you could chance driving on occasion, but for me it would have been more of a collector piece that sat under cover and didn't get used. At the time it just didn't seem worth it to have such a car that I wouldn't want to drive.

When you can build a 6 conversion car that is better in so many ways than a 916, and you wouldn't be afraid to drive it. It just didn't make sense to me, but I'm not really a car collector either.
JPB
Now we be talkin ovaheeya!! beer.gif

Its like saying, if Christina Aguilera put her butt in your face would ya violate it? It probably would not happen to most of us but not many would turn it down even if it were against one's circumcision.
rhodyguy
boy... i'll be thinking about that reply for some time. blink.gif dry.gif . 2 words...harvest moon.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.