Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valvecover gasket too long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MBowman325
While I was picking up some parts for my other cars, I asked the guy at AZ about some valve cover gaskets for the 914. I adjusted the valves last weekend and since then have had a heck of an oil leak. He said, "be here tomorrow" Since my tags are out and my titles are MIA after the move, the 914 is the only "legal" car I have to drive. I tried to reuse the old cork gasket one last time to no avail..

Anyways, I pick up the gaskets tonight, and they're too long by maybe 1/2". Am I missing something or is that what I get for buying P car parts from AutoZone?

Thanks!
SGB
I know sometimes I am
Stew Pid

but I thought all the t-iv gaskets were the same. I've always hit up the vw place I know...

I think I've got em fom azone or similar before. Do you have O'Reily? The ones I've been to seem to know a little bit at least about the stuff they sell.
BMartin914
Sounds like they are for the wrong application.

Use some weatherstripping adhesive (small bead) around the outside edge of the VC to hold the gaskets in.
MBowman325
It bows up about an inch if I tried to fix it in place, so I have a feeling if I tried to actually install it, it'd leak. I'll find a VW shop here in OKC Monday and get it fixed with a correct gasket. I'd thought about trimming up the gasket, but the parts guy said if it didn't fit, to bring it back. I thought it was a sorta odd thing to say at the time..

Another question for one who looks, are the bolt on valve covers worth anything? I mean, the OEM ones didn't leak a drop until I pulled them this last time. The driver's still is fine. But the wire retainer is a bit of a pain...

Thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, the gasket should fit perfectly or its not gonna seal. PM joseph 222 and he'll let you in on where to find the proper ones in OKC. Dumont should have some in stock. Lots of VW guys in OKC, so they should be easy to find.

Curt
SirAndy
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ May 12 2007, 12:53 PM) *

I mean, the OEM ones didn't leak a drop until I pulled them this last time.

sounds like you didn't put the cover back on correctly.
make *sure* the VW logo is upside down!

also, after you snap the clip back on, grab the top of the cover and pull down on it to make sure it's fully seated ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.