Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk pivot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitey
I need to weld my rear trunk pivot hing....Should I buy the bolt on replacement or does welding fix the problem and hold?...I want to leave the torsion spring to keep it original.

Thanks, Dave
Lou W
I would think that if you are trying to keep it original, you should weld a replacement. If you want a better setup, I'd go with Camp914's setup. welder.gif
JPB
agree.gif As attractive as the dark side may be, don't be drawn to it. beer.gif
Rand
I welded mine. It's as strong as new and only took a few minutes. But I ditched the torsion spring, so lining it up was easy.

I went with gas shocks instead. Agree with the Camp914 recommendation for that.

If you go for the hinge/pivot replacement, go with The JWest kit
kconway
QUOTE(Rand @ May 12 2007, 03:20 PM) *

I welded mine. It's as strong as new and only took a few minutes.

I'm going with the welded repro piece.
Click to view attachment

How did you position the pivot while welding. That is, how did you find the right spot to weld it in? Can't figure how to locate it properly. The new part is larger in diameter than OEM piece was, which is long gone. This is what mine has on it now.
Click to view attachment
boxstr
Make sure that the threaded part on your new hinge piece is solidly in place. I had one that I put in, my very first one, and it spun around in place. I did not know that it had to be welded into place, the then rest welded onto the side wall.
CCLIN914NATION
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.