Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: catch tanks, puke tanks, oil retireval, recirculation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
of what you did and why you did it. smile.gif

I am running stock d-jet but would like to see your solutions for that set up and carbed set ups.
wanting to get some ideas before I start fabbing something up.
JPB
I gots a freekydeeky breather box that came with the car from the PO.
Jake Raby
JPB, you seem confused... Dan is asking about crankcase breather options and why they are needed.....

The reason why crankcase ventilation is so impprtant is because the pressure that stays pent up in the case that is leaking past rings and exhaust valves will harnass HP and will also make for a very leaky engine that has its oil pressure fed from the crankcase.... Thats the main reason why some people have oil leaks that are not curable no matter what they seal the engine with.

Inadequate crankcase ventilation is one of the most overlooked items associated with the TIV engine- the hotter the engine runs the more it expands and the more crankcase pressure will exist.
Gint
As long as we're on the subject...

My 2056 is built on a 1.8 case/heads. There are no vents in the heads, just the oil filler vent hose. This motor leaks like a pig too. Is that enough or do I need to vent the heads Jake?
Jake Raby
Vent the heads... Your oil leaks may mysteriously go away.

EVERY engine needs the rocker box and the crankcase vented, even bone stockers.
DanT
thanks for the discussion Jake...my 2.0L heads have the vents and I want to run the pressure to somewhere other than directly back into the intake plenum/air cleaner.
that is why I asked my original question.

anyone got some ideas, pics of some ways it has been done successfully?

I have some ideas but would like to see some that have been done in the past and have worked.
eric914
Whats the best way to vent the rocker boxs? Can you simply drill a hole in the covers, add a fitting, and vent the fitting to a catch tank? How big should the fitting be? How about the hose to the catch tank?
sww914
I ran three hoses into a can in my rear trunk with a K&N breather on it. You need to make sure that there aren't any dips in the lines where the oil can collect and block the vapor from exiting. My can is metal, but if I do it again I'll do it in plastic so I can see if it's full, and I'll also add a petcock so I can empty it without removing it. I plan to go to Costco and buy some almonds or cashews or something in a big plastic jar that I like and then I'll install some hose bibs near the top and a breather in the lid.
Hey, I just realized that I have a jelly belly tub that's almost empty!
Good, because sometimes it's hard to figure out what to do with 10 lbs of almonds.
I'll try to post some pics of my current POS later today, I've got to get this 914-6 that's here running right first.
sww914
First pic, mess of he day.
2nd & 3rd, breather setup.
sww914
1 pic?
sww914
Why won't my pictures show up? I added them to the posts, they uploaded, and then they disappear! FARGH!!!!!
sww914
Another try
sww914
and 2 and 3.
Ok, I need to remember to "save for web" in photoshop.
orcadigital
I'd have to dig up a picture or take a new one...

I got a Moroso catch tank 2 years ago, when i removed the air box from my 2.0L FI and went to a K&N on top of the throttle body. It has a small cleanable breather filter on the top, a 12AN (i think) fitting on the side, a petcock on the bottom, and uses a hose clamp type bracket. I just took my 3 breather lines (off each head and the one from the oil fill box) and ran them into the breather. I used just multiduty hose, and crimped a tube fitting on at work that just happened to have the same threads as the AN inlet. I mounted it inside the left rear fender (inside the engine compartment) a little behind and above the relay box. The breather actually sits right under the side grill piece.

The setup has worked well for me.

Grant
JPB
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 12 2007, 10:12 AM) *

JPB, you seem confused... Dan is asking about crankcase breather options and why they are needed.....

The reason why crankcase ventilation is so impprtant is because the pressure that stays pent up in the case that is leaking past rings and exhaust valves will harnass HP and will also make for a very leaky engine that has its oil pressure fed from the crankcase.... Thats the main reason why some people have oil leaks that are not curable no matter what they seal the engine with.

Inadequate crankcase ventilation is one of the most overlooked items associated with the TIV engine- the hotter the engine runs the more it expands and the more crankcase pressure will exist.

OOps, miss read. Me silly av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Dan,
I am going with a breather set up from Canton Racing. It only has one inlet so I will have to T all three breather hoses into one. Jake had a set up he was selling but it is not currently available. It has a K&N type breather filter on top and a petcock on the bottom that I hope I don't need!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.