Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: West Coast Ramble AX questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
As this will be my very first AX race I want to make sure everything is setup correctly to ensure safety and compliance.

I know I need to install a new battery hold down but if some wiring is running along the center tunnel, will that be an issue?

One of my front tires received shallow cuts from the inner fender before I rolled it. Will that be an issue? They're Pilot Sports with the run-empty side wall and I'm sure that there is no undermining of the structural integrity of the tire but I would still like to hear some more experienced guys opinions.

Thanks,
Roger
Dave_Darling
No problem about the wires--as long as they aren't going to flop around and get caught in the controls or anything like that. The tire would be a judgement call on the part of the person doing tech.

For your convenience and reading "pleasure", here are the inspection parts of the rules--
3.2 SAFETY - AUTOMOBILES

1. All wheels, other than Porsche OEM wheels, must meet SEMA spec 5-1A or be subject to approval by the Tech inspector.

2. Adapters to modify the Porsche bolt pattern are not permitted. Wheel spacers must be equal in diameter to the mounting face.

3. Wheel bolt/lug nut engagement must be at least one times the bolt/stud diameter. This is nine turns on a Porsche set-up.

4. Doors must remain unlocked.

5. Any portion of a roll bar/cage assembly within 12 inches of a driver's or passenger's head shall be padded.

6. All 356 series cars must have negative camber in the rear suspension. All pre-1959 356 Porsches must convert to late-model front spindles.

7. Tonneau covers are prohibited over the front passenger compartment.

8. Snap-on hubcaps and trim rings must be removed. All loose objects must be removed from the car's interior and trunk(s).

9. Windshield wiper arms may be removed.

10. Steel-braided brake lines may be used.

11. Batteries must be properly mounted.

3.2A Autocross

1. Cars with removable tops removed and convertibles with the top down must have the windows rolled down.

3.3 SAFETY - DRIVER'S EQUIPMENT & RESTRAINT

3.3A Autocross

1. If the windshield is removed, the occupants must wear goggles or a full-face shield.

2. Shoulder harnesses may be worn only in non-open cars or in cars with an adequate roll bar or roll cage.

3. As a minimum, Porsche factory seat belts or equivalent are required and must be used.

4. Driver and passengers must wear approved helmets (1995 or later Snell). Use of a 2000 or later Snell is strongly recommended. Prospective Driver's Education/Time Trialers should be aware of approved helmet requirements, see paragraph 3.3D (d).

3.4 INSPECTION

1. All cars are required to pass a tech inspection for the purpose of safety, and must meet the requirements of 3.2 and 3.3 prior to being allowed on course. A car judged to be in unsafe operating condition shall be barred from participation until the deficiency is corrected. The judgment may be made at any time during the event by the Chief Technical Inspector or by the series chairperson or by the event chairperson.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.