Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help....1st concours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pin31
What do you recommend:
targa top: I washed my top ...... now what should I do......?
tires: new and clean, should I use a tire care product, how shinny?
bumpers: what type of chrome product?
Rubber seals: I have a can of Wurth stuff ....tips??
dash top: mild dish soap & water....than what?

ANY tips and suggestions greatly appriciated.

Thanks,
Tim
TJB/914
Hi Tim,

The first thing is having a plan knowing what the judges will be looking for.
Here's an old SMOG judging sheet that may help you. This will help you know how to trick the judges. Have fun & enjoy cleaning your 914. yawn.gif

Tom
Pat Garvey
First, know what you're getting into. Is it a friendly event - i.e. - wash & shine? Or, is it a hardcore event - topside & bottom judged? Not sure - don't be scared off yet. Most Regional PCA events are "friendly". Most PCA Zone & National events are NOT - show at these events only if you're prepared to win. Not likely that you'll get judging sheets in advance, unless it's PCA National. Multi-marque event? Trust me, the judges at these events know little about 914's - STAY WITH YOUR CAR WHEN IT'S JUDGED. Question them about every deduct.

Second - no matter the event, go in with the intent to win. Yet, you won't believe how much fun you have jawbonning with the people next to you. So, even though you want to win, learn from the others - you won't believe the tips you get!

Third, and apologetically to "the Bliz", don't use any other event judging forms as anything other than a very basic guideline (other than PCA National forms). Every region has it's own concours guru & he/she designs judging forms to suit his/her needs. I appreciate that they have to do that, because I've been there way too many times. if you're serious about concours, use PCA National judging form (available online) for overkill. They ARE serious. They CAN be overboard. But guess what - you win if you use them seriously. Why? Because your 914 will be the best prep'd.

I know the roadcourse guys will disagree with me, but concours is similar, but less expensive. You have to pay attention to details - different ones of course) Want to win concours? Make it as original as possible (Oh, did I mention clean?). And, don't forget even the slightest detail. Overkill is acceptable. Astound the competition.

Good luck & let us know how it came out!

Any questions, not matter how minute, ask them.
Pat
pin31
Thanks Tom & Pat, I'll let you know how I make out !!

This event is the PCA Zone 1 concours and rally in Newport (my back yard) next weekend. Can't wait (I'll be leading all the cars from the hotel through downtown Newport on the way to the concours event Sunday at Ft. Adams) !!!!

The car has won a bunch of concours events with the PO, Jim Chambers (I just bought from Craig at Camp914 in Nov) and is in great shape (34K original miles, paid $15K). I had two 914's that I sold 12 years ago. I was going to restore but ran out of time and money (married, kid, own business etc..). This time around I saved up and bought the best I could afford. I'm a driver more than a wash and waxer so I need to balance driving time vs driveway time.

I just want to avoid doing something stupid (Armorall the top etc..) and was asking advise on these types of cleaning/prep.

Any advise (do's and don'ts) on the top, tires, chrome etc..

Thanks for the previous suggestions !!

Tim

tod914
Interior.. just a suggestion of course.. the judges here want to see how the cars came from the factory..hence no shiney armoral on seats, tires etc. It attracts dirt too. I'll spray lexol vinalex on a damp cloth and wipe the interior down that way. Your cleaning/preserving without getting the shine that way. For your pedal rubber, and carpet rubber by your pedal cluster, maybe try a toothbrush with zeps citrus degreaser from home depot.. i took mine out and cleaned them that way in a pail with hot water. I wouldnt put any lexol or anything on them afterwards, it will make them slippery. My carpets i soaked in the tub with oxyscrub, they came out looking new. But, becarefull with that as you can potentially stain them with the cleaner. A little goes a long way. Your threshold sills, maybe take the inner one off to clean that way you can get the weather strip easier. I went overboard and completely took out the interior when I first got it. The first event dont go nuts. Get an idea on what they are looking for and go from there. Fanstic looking car btw.. want to trade for a white one biggrin.gif Good luck and have fun!
pin31
Cool, Thanks !!!

Porsche Rescue
Tim,
Best of luck. It is a very nice car. Few as nice in my opinion. However, I never showed the car while I owned it. It was at West Coast Classic '04 and seen by many west coasters. The original owner (his name should be on some of the paperwork you likely have) showed the car in the southeast. He last had the car in Tennessee but bought it in Pennsylvania. I bought the car from him in August of '02 and sold to Craig in November, '05.
I suspect the lack of fuel injection and the modified gauge panel in the console will cost you some points in the concours. However, I suspect you will have the nicest 914-4 in the event.
PM me if you have any questions about the car.
Jim
Pat Garvey
OK, now we have more pics - good.

First - extremely nice 914! Please DO NOT take my comments as those of a whacko ..... Ok, I AM a whacko, but please don't hold that against me.

Here are the problems I see - though they MAY cause you no grief. However, Zone 1 conc's are not known to be friendly to non-originality. With that in mind, I see several problems:
1. Missing fuel injection. Nice carb setup, but this may hurt you the most. Optima battery may, or may not hurt you too.
2. Interior - center console guages are a bit of a problem. Steering wheel is more of a problem. Oh, and the speakers.....not good. Shifter is a definte deduct.

As I've said many times, concours is not for everyone, unless you can find classification that doesn't rely on originality.

Wish you luck at the event. Please let us know how it comes out.
Pat
Pat Garvey
BTW, when is the event?
pin31
Pat,
The event is this weekend !!!

The pictures are old. The car came delivered with the original leather covered Porsche steering wheel. The speakers are new but fit in the original box without modification and the angle of the picture makes it stick out more.

I'm looking forward to learning and meeting new folks, should be fun !!

Tim

pin31
I won 1st place (people's choice) !!!

Next time I'll try full concours.

1970 Neun vierzehn
Tim,
Congratulations clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Ferg
COOL! clap56.gif

Ferg
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(pin31 @ May 22 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Excellent! I wish I could have made the trip to give you a run for your money. <grin>
SGB
Super! Show us a pic of the trophy!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(pin31 @ May 22 2007, 06:50 AM) *

Tim,

Excellent! Well done! I'm sorry - you're now hooked.

Now, WE get to ask YOU for tips.

Seriously - congratulations. We're proud of you. How about a showdown at Charlotte next year?
Pat
pin31
Thanks for the congrats!!

It was a fun experience....meet a lot of nice people and lots of great cars.

I watched the judges inspect the only 914 in the full concours (very nice, recently restored, arrived on a trailer) and I was suprised that originallity wasn't factored in more than it was. The were a few obvious things that were not period (year) correct. I could have competed with him although I wasn't as clean in all the nooks and crannies (behind the rims, in the exhaust etc..).

I enjoy driving my car best of all and it's a lot of work to cleanup to compete with a "garage queen". I would like to go to Charlotte and even better drive there!!!

carreraguy
QUOTE(pin31 @ May 24 2007, 05:52 AM) *

I watched the judges inspect the only 914 in the full concours (very nice, recently restored, arrived on a trailer) and I was suprised that originallity wasn't factored in more than it was. The were a few obvious things that were not period (year) correct. I could have competed with him although I wasn't as clean in all the nooks and crannies (behind the rims, in the exhaust etc..).

I enjoy driving my car best of all and it's a lot of work to cleanup to compete with a "garage queen". I would like to go to Charlotte and even better drive there!!!

Just cruisin' the CW room and I saw your post - Congrats!
I'm trying to break the CW habit and its been hard. If you enter a PCA concours, AFAIK with the relatively new (2006) PCA concours rules, the only category in which originality is judged is the "Preservation/Unrestored" category. Of course I'll defer to Pat for the final opinion.
Later,

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(carreraguy @ Jun 22 2007, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(pin31 @ May 24 2007, 05:52 AM) *

Just cruisin' the CW room and I saw your post - Congrats!
I'm trying to break the CW habit and its been hard. If you enter a PCA concours, AFAIK with the relatively new (2006) PCA concours rules, the only category in which originality is judged is the "Preservation/Unrestored" category. Of course I'll defer to Pat for the final opinion.
Later,

I agree - wish we could go back to the old days. You drove your 914 to the event, spent 2 days cleaning it up. Originality didn't matter that much, because most WERE original. The judges actually touched the car! A budy (Jon Lowe) had the longest fingers since Perelman! Must have been 18 inches long! (kidding). But he could find dirt anywhere. Yeah, I liked those rules - simple. Clean it & show it.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.