Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bondo- what kind or type?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I am almost done welding/grinding my GT flares piratenanner.gif So I am close to buying some bondo for a skim coat filler. Is there a preferred brand or type? I pretreated the metal with ospho on the weld seams and gave it a quick rattle can of auto primer for protection. So what are you guys useing?
jimkelly
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...36326&st=20

???

jim
rfuerst911sc
Jim thanks. Is All Metal available from auto parts stores? Looks interesting.
Katmanken
Three things.

1. Most bondo doesn't stick to paint very well, and is designed to be applied UNDER the paint. There are a few thin catalyzable skim coat compounds that can go over the primer that are bondo-like but are for minor fubars in the primer.

2. Buy the non-porous kind. I can't tell you how much rust I'v found under the porous bondo. Read the can to see if it is porous. I like the Evercoat products.
Here is one that is non-porous. Evercoat Metal to Metal. They seem to have dsicontinued the other non porous one. It contained styrene.

3. Most primers are porous. After spending all that money and time on attaching metal flares, you need some decent non-porous primer like Dupont Variprime. It's a 2 component self etching primer that sets up like a rock and laughs at rain. You have to spray it and it is baby poop brown. The grey and red crap can allow rust to form remarkably fast- particularly if it comes out of a spraycan where the paint dries as little balls in the air and kinda sticks together on the metal as a stack of porous paint balls.

Ken
JPB
3M Zebra, why waste your time bro? beer.gif
BigD9146gt
I use evercoat gold and mix in some evercoat metal glase, (about 1/5) and then the hardner to the combo. The guy i learned from found it to be the best of both worlds.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-10285-12718.aspx
rfuerst911sc
Today I found USC All Metal at the local NAPA. It's pricey at 25.00 a quart but I'm doing this job once. Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.