Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone using this starter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Ebay Mini Starter

Does anyone have this starter?
Anyone have any knowledge or advice about it?

thanks biggrin.gif
736conver
QUOTE(seanery @ May 12 2007, 10:40 PM) *

Ebay Mini Starter

Does anyone have this starter?
Anyone have any knowledge or advice about it?

thanks biggrin.gif

Sean I had it on my 3.2 and it worked great.

echocanyons
I have one it sounds like a sewing machine and turns like a monster.

I can't vouch for longevity or overheating though because I haven't had it long enough or driven it far enough.

cheap price was the draw for me cool_shades.gif
KaptKaos
Yep. Been in use for about 2+ years. Had a small problem, sent it back and he sent me a replacement. Good stuff if you ask me.
machina
mine is awesome.

i allways had a problem with the original starter when the motor got hot but now i never have to worry about it. and it looks better too.
PRS914-6
I have one in the 3.6. Cranks it over without a grunt....
McMark
I need to buy one. Hey, while you're ordering, get one for me. It's my birthday in 7 months you know. wink.gif
LowGT
I bought from that ebay id and ran the starter on my 4cyl. I made a stupid error and thought the starter was bad, seller replaced it no questions asked. Turned out the wiring in the car was bad, not the starter. Once I squared away the wiring the starter worked great, never had a problem with it. And if you have a good battery, the starter can actually "drive" the car in gear if you need to get off the road. smile.gif
ThinAir
I put one in from the same vendor back in October. I got tired of getting push-started at 2 consecutive Red Rock Classics. So far it's been great, but I haven't made any trips of extended length or down to the hot country of Phoenix. If I make it through RRC this September without a problem then it will have my absolute endorsement.
seanery
thanks for the info guys! I think I'll order one.
rhodyguy
it appears to be the same one dan root has loaned me, but with one ?. the one i have has a # of holes in the portion of the starter body that contacts the bell housing so you can 'clock' (rotate) the starter for better mounting clearence to the bottom of the trunk. the part # on the box is IMI-101. i don't note the holes in the picture. did they ones you guys recieved from this company have that provision? one thing i notice when installing the mini...the stock starters have a notch that captures the head of the upper mounting bolt. this one does not. no big deal.

the starter does seem to be value priced. i'm ready to buy one at that price.

k
rhodyguy
interesting. i asked the seller if it it was the IMI 101. he replied it's a "clone" of the IMI. did a search and came up with www.hitorque.com. they have a toll free #. i'll give them a call tomorrow and get the pricing from them. i don't doubt you guys had good luck with the ebay seller. i just want the EXACT item to replace what dan sent me.

k
J P Stein
This is timely.
My old t-4 starter (which may be original) exhibited hot start problems at the last AX.
Time for a new one, eh?
jasons
I was talking to a buddy of mine who has sold import and VW parts for almost 20 years about these starters. His shop sells the IMI's BTW. He says all they are is a Nippedenso starter motor from a Toyota adapted to a VW housing. The IMI's are a billet adapter piece, the ebay ones are a cast adapter piece. The key is the Nippedenso motor. He claims they are pretty much bulletproof.
sixnotfour
interesting. i asked the seller if it it was the IMI 101. he replied it's a "clone" of the IMI. did a search and came up with www.hitorque.com. they have a toll free #. i'll give them a call tomorrow and get the pricing from them. i don't doubt you guys had good luck with the ebay seller. i just want the EXACT item to replace what dan sent me.

Patrick sells the one you got from Dan 295.00, probably cheaper direct from hitorque.

I have an ebay one used 6 months ,works great, great price.
rhodyguy
another co offers the 101 for 179 and change. sounds like patrick gets a premium.

jeff, you bought from the same ebay seller in sean's link? does his unit provide for the captured head on the mounting bolt for the starter?

sixnotfour
Yes, same one,
No provision for captured head. Flat flanges both holes.

PRS914-6
picture of e-bay version.....
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
thanks paul. it bolted and wired up directly as pictured? interesting where the wire connections are on yours. even after clocking the one i put in, the wire connections are somewhat buried up top. i hate to beat this subject to death. i just want a plug and play.

k
sixnotfour
The wiring for the back up switch needs some mod. to work.

Since you worried about plug and play.
rhodyguy
lengthening the wires?

k
PRS914-6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 13 2007, 10:22 AM) *

thanks paul. it bolted and wired up directly as pictured? interesting where the wire connections are on yours. even after clocking the one i put in, the wire connections are somewhat buried up top. i hate to beat this subject to death. i just want a plug and play.

k

Yep, it's just the way mine came and bolted in as shown. However, I don't know how the stock battery cable would work since I custom made my cables using large welding cable.
Root_Werks
Kevin, if that starter you are borrowing works out well for you and you want it, just let me know. I'll work a deal for those rims you have. I'll beat anyones price by mucho bucks for you. It's just been sitting on the shelf. Be nice to see it get used.
yarin
I've got one. Installed it about three months ago. Spins the engine a big quicker and much easier than before. WELL worth the 120 bucks. Everyone should own one of these if they have any issues with their stock starter. It's lighter too.

I did not need washers. Some people had issues that required washers to clearance the gear from the flywheel. It does make a little more noise than a stock starter, especially after releasing when the engine doesn't catch.

BUY IT! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.