Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Helmet Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
McMark
I just finished cleaning up my new to me helmet (Snell M95 rated). I used soap and water in a spray bottle and a towel to dab/soak up the dirty water.

How often do you clean your helmet? How do you do it?
grantsfo
I plan to buy a new one every 4 years
Joe Ricard
My old helmet had a removeable liner and I would wash it in the machine. I now have a Bell Pro Mag 5 and I wipe it out with a towel after I am done.
nebreitling
i clean the exterior everyonce in a while, and I windex the shield with a SOFT cloth fairly often (although I just got some tear-offs; so hopefully that won't be as necessary). But i've never even thought about cleaning the inside/liner. Then again, I don't let anyone else EVER wear my helmet.
john rogers
I bought a Whirlpool drying center a couple of years ago and after each race I put the helmet, cool shirt and fire suit in the upper section and do a steam clean which takes out all the weird smells that collect inside a helmet.
kart54
I wear a balaclava under my helmet and full underwear under my suit. It all gets cleaned after a race weekend. Once or twice a year the suit and the helmet get cleaned. I wipe the helmet out using diluted simple green.
McMark
I tend to....ah....sweat.....uh....on occasion. So I expect my helmet to need a cleaning after every other event. The steam clean is a great idea, too bad I don't have the machine. wink.gif
Chris Pincetich
I hate to say it, BUT you might consider buying a new helmet. SA2005 will pass more tech inspects than M95, and you can get an open face with removeable liner for about $150....I think the Pyrotech has the removeable liner, my G-FORCE does not. beerchug.gif
McMark
I would consider that too. But at this point it's either no helmet or a $10 M95 helmet.
nebreitling
if it's for AX, then your $10 helmet will work just fine. seriously -- if anyone needs safety gear, it's the corner workers.
sean_v8_914
...a $10 helmet is fine for a $10 head
nebreitling
not that crappy saying again... do you have a $1500 dollar helmet?
sww914
My Zamp Sa2005 has snap out liners, I haven't had it long enough for it to get funky yet, but I plan to wash them in the sink when it gets bad enough that it has to ride in the back.
My head is worth $175.00.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Jun 10 2007, 08:10 PM) *

not that crappy saying again... do you have a $1500 dollar helmet?

I always scratch my head when these AX helmet debates come up. If one thinks they need state of the art helmet for AX then shouldnt they have state of the art restraint systems, roll cage, fire supression, neck brace, race suit, gloves and shoes too?
McMark
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:55 AM) *

...a $10 helmet is fine for a $10 head

Apparently my head is worth $100 because I bought a M2005 helmet just before the WCR. tongue.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 18 2007, 07:39 PM) *

... I bought a M2005 helmet just before the WCR. tongue.gif

There's a significant difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car (SA designation) helmet. Motorcycle helmets are generally not allowed at track events.
McMark
ESCA doesn't specify. And I'm pretty sure PCA doesn't either (at least my regions).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.