Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: eBay 70's era 911 radio/cassette unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
I'm looking for a period correct radio for my 1974 914 and saw this on eBay. I though it was interesting because it is a neat looking radio and it has cassette as well. It was made in that time frame so the period is ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0889&rd=1,1

However, I see three problems and wanted some advice. One, it may wind up going for more than I want to spend. We’ll see. I saw the same thing on a web site oldautoradio.com (any one familiar with them?) for $700. No way am I going there but their stuff seems over priced.

Two, it is described as 911 unit. I suppose dealers could've put anything into a 914 at a customer request (?) but would've this been to "high end" for a 914 in that time frame?

Three, it has a separate unit described to me as an amplifier OR something that is part of the radio reception?? I haven't determined yet if it is required for the unit to work or it is some kind of upgrade??? Anyone familiar? If the separate unit is needed, I don't know where it would go in the 914 without messing up the originality that I want to keep intact. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here..

Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks
Steve

1970 Neun vierzehn
Steve,
I'm relying soley on memory here, so I can't be certain, but......that radio looks too "late" to be period correct for a 1974 MY car. My guess for era would be late '70s at best, circa '78-'79. Hopefully others will add their input.
Pat Garvey
No, some 911 units won't fit easily into a 914. This is a BIG unit & you'll have trouble fitting it ina 914 dash.

I'd keep looking - plenty of stuff still out there.
Johny Blackstain
eBay- 1975 Blaupunkt Frankfurt USA... $12.95 + $5.00 s&h blink.gif Was listed as a stock radio for a Fiat X19 & mentioned nothing in the title about being a Blaupunkt. Works & sounds great. Watched it quietly for a week & no one noticed it. smoke.gif
swm914
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 04:52 PM) *

eBay- 1975 Blaupunkt Frankfurt USA... $12.95 + $5.00 s&h blink.gif Was listed as a stock radio for a Fiat X19 & mentioned nothing in the title about being a Blaupunkt. Works & sounds great. Watched it quietly for a week & no one noticed it. smoke.gif

great buy..let me know if ya stumble accross another one like that!! I'm still looking for something similar for my '74.
Steve
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(swm914 @ Aug 1 2007, 01:19 PM) *

great buy..let me know if ya stumble accross another one like that!! I'm still looking for something similar for my '74.
Steve

Steve- I just set up a search on "eBay Motors" & that's how I found it. Plug in a keyword such as Blaupunkt, Saphire, Becker or whatever & click it to search titles & descriptions. Once you've done that arrange them by price & go shopping.
There was no mention of Blaupunkt in the title but it was in the description & that's why it showed up in my search. Title just said "AM/FM Fiat X19 1975 Radio" & it looked like stromberg.gif , but for $17.95 I took a gamble that paid off.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 06:52 PM) *

I'll have to admit, I didn't think Fiat used something as nice as Blaupunkt in thier cars, though I never really got too close to Fiat's.

Nice buy - same I have in my '72.

Way to lurk on eBay too! What it's all about there. Patience & knowing when to say no.

BTW Al, nice socks in the pic!

Pat poke.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 1 2007, 10:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 06:52 PM) *

I'll have to admit, I didn't think Fiat used something as nice as Blaupunkt in thier cars, though I never really got too close to Fiat's.

Nice buy - same I have in my '72.

Way to lurk on eBay too! What it's all about there. Patience & knowing when to say no.

BTW Al, nice socks in the pic!

Pat poke.gif

I don't think so Pat, yours is stereo & this one is mono. Still, it sounds fantastic for a 914. Seems to fill the compartment w/ a richer, warmer tone. This, of course, is w/ the engine off biggrin.gif . More improtantly, it matches my "incorrect" BOS.
jonferns
not to detract from the original purpose of this thread, but what is the correct radio for a '74? or does it depend on what the dealer did? -JON biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 3 2007, 06:08 PM) *

not to detract from the original purpose of this thread, but what is the correct radio for a '74? or does it depend on what the dealer did? -JON biggrin.gif

Since the vast majority of 914s' came w/out a radio from the factory, the vast majority had radios installed @ the dealer. So basically anything that is period correct will do. Another way to look @ it would be whatever the dealer had @ the time. In my case, Pop tried to save money by installing the radio himself. They sold us an AM/FM stereo "Saphire" radio, made in Japan. Pop & I installed it & I pulled it 3 yrs ago when it stopped working. The original dealer invoice for the car says they sold us a Blaupunkt, not Saphire; so instead of arguing history I caved in to a historical error & got the one pictured above. It matches my paperework perfectly- AM/FM Blaupunkt, no mention of stereo. Basically look for anything that is period correct & will fit biggrin.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.