Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Gas Prices
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
N14
Put 50 litres (13.2US Gal.) in last night and paid a tad over $65............somehow I think we're getting ripped off out here mad.gif

Where's the best place to buy gas?????
Grelber
I gassed up this morning for $2.77/gal. Just north of Dallas.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(N14 @ May 14 2007, 09:09 AM) *

Put 50 litres (13.2US Gal.) in last night and paid a tad over $65............somehow I think we're getting ripped off out here mad.gif

It's not Chicago! $3.25 and up. headbang.gif

Edit---- price just jumped to $3.47 at my cheapest source! headbang.gif headbang.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Grelber @ May 14 2007, 10:14 AM) *

I gassed up this morning for $2.77/gal. Just north of Dallas.

gee... what a bargain! blink.gif Of course, we're all getting ripped off. Filthy Arabs are ripping off greedy refineries who, in turn, rip us off. And Slimy politicians (who are so far up up the ass of OPEC that you can't tell which is which) let it all happen in order to line their pockets. It's nothing new. I think it's time for the assassinations to begin. ar15.gif
Mark D.
1970 Neun vierzehn
$3.17/gal here in the River City. Put $10 worth of gas in the bike yesterday, after riding.......thought back to '66 when I could fill my Honda Scrambler for a dollar. 'Course back then I was making $3/hr, you could but a new E-Jag for under $6K... a Corvette was that cheap too. Someday, $3/gal gas will seem cheap as well. laugh.gif
smontanaro
Maybe try http://www.gasbuddy.com/ .

Skip
Steve Thacker
This pretty much sums it up.

lotus_65
that sign doesn't even have the biggest shysters on it... EXXON. Notice who isn't saying anything about fixing it, 'cause the leader of the free world has a big dog in that fight.
race914
Try $3.85/gal for 91 octane on the Central California Coast blink.gif

Makes $5/gal for race gas seem not as bad idea.gif

But the tows to the track are a MF headbang.gif
horizontally-opposed
Several stations here in SF with a "4" starting the price for premium. dry.gif

Last night, the Chevron on San Pablo Avenue in Richmond said $3.99 for premium. sad.gif

That said, compared to Europe, we've still got it pretty good as consumers. Here's the difference:

The bulk of their gas money is going back to the government and (hopefully) the roads and other programs.

Ours is going to big oil as extra profit. alfred.gif

pete
messix
$3.44 a gal for reg today
zymurgist
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 14 2007, 02:00 PM) *

that sign doesn't even have the biggest shysters on it... EXXON. Notice who isn't saying anything about fixing it, 'cause the leader of the free world has a big dog in that fight.

I guess those mergers in the oil industry have really been a godsend for consumers oil company CEO's.

Funny how the trust busters broke up Standard Oil back in the early 1900's and the oil companies are getting back together again. Teddy Roosevelt, we need you today!
N14
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 14 2007, 10:39 AM) *

It looks as though prices at the Petro Can in North Van have gone up again this morning by 5 cents/L

A report out last week was stating prices in the lower mainland are 27 cents/L price gouging based on prices a barrel. That works out in the US to around 90 cents gallon

Time for a North American boycott of ONE OF THE BIG STATIONS BY ALL and watch the price drop idea.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(N14 @ May 14 2007, 01:09 PM) *

Caracas. 12 cents per gallon.

Gas prices around the world
sww914
I was in Ensenada last weekend, I got 26 gallons for $58.00 that's about $2.25. I didn't want to come back for lots of reasons, that was a big one.
Also, it was warm, the surf was excellent, and there were beautiful brown women everywhere. Oh yeah, the tequila was cheap too.
The most that my friend and I spent on a meal was $9.00 for both of us, including beers.
WTF am I doing back here?
Brando
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 14 2007, 10:39 AM) *
Maybe try http://www.gasbuddy.com/ .

Skip

Beat me to it! biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
265 this morning for 89 octane...

It's even putting a crunch on my development work- last year I spent 5K in fuel alone for dyno work and this year will be worse.
bd1308
3.08 in Louisville with reformulated gas

actually 2.80 in Bowling Green
notbobvilla
3.35 here in Southwest Michigan. 20 bucks to mow the lawn is NOT funny!!
eric914
I was about to post something political in response but thought the better of it. The D's would probably cover there ears rather that be educated anyway.
orange914
NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Don't pump gas on may 15th
...in April 1997, there was a 'gas out'
conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets
for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry
for at least one day.

If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldnt) ...resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th'

stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
N14
QUOTE(eric914 @ May 14 2007, 01:40 PM) *

I was about to post something political in response but thought the better of it. The D's would probably cover there ears rather that be educated anyway.

I'll add a poll
zymurgist
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 14 2007, 05:01 PM) *

I don't see how it makes a difference to the oil companies if they sell gas on the 14th and 16th rather than on the 15th.

They've got us right where they want us. sheeplove.gif
orange914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 14 2007, 02:14 PM) *

I don't see how it makes a difference to the oil companies if they sell gas on the 14th and 16th rather than on the 15th.

personally i've managed to cut consumption, thats THE best... but 3 billion will hurt their cashflow anyway. -wish i had that problem- barf.gif
cuca914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 14 2007, 02:14 PM) *

Yer right. Seems we need to pick one company and do a longterm boycott to start a price war. And since we all hear about Exxon/Mobile's huge record-setting profits every quarter, I say let's start with them. Heck, I don't buy from them anyways.

The next step is to find out why we can't build more refineries - it seems to me the reason prices are so high is due to lack of refinery output, not oil shortage. That's what I hear from the media at least. Anybody hear anything in the news about fewer tankers coming to the U.S.? Nope. But everytime we hit hurricane season the price goes up.

Either that, or we could all stop bitchin' and buy oil stocks. Maybe dig our hands back into their pockets. idea.gif

just my .02
eric914
Not buying on the 15 is not the answer. We will just fill up on the 14th or the 16th. We need to not use any gas on the 15th for this to have any effect. So what if they loose $ on the 15th. They will just see a spike in the days around the boycott as we go about our cunsumption as usual.
orange914
QUOTE(eric914 @ May 14 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Not buying on the 15 is not the answer. We will just fill up on the 14th or the 16th. We need to not use any gas on the 15th for this to have any effect. So what if they loose $ on the 15th. They will just see a spike in the days around the boycott as we go about our cunsumption as usual.

if the article is correct (i havent confirmed), but it states in 97 it dropped the price by 30 cents
N14

Yer right. Seems we need to pick one company and do a longterm boycott to start a price war. And since we all hear about Exxon/Mobile's huge record-setting profits every quarter, I say let's start with them. Heck, I don't buy from them anyways.

It's quite amazing what you can do if you get enough people moving in the right direction. I don't see the point in bitchin' about it w/o doing something about it. It could start here or somewhere else.......eventually enough is enough

Make a stand.....Throw your vote in and let's make a choice. Pass it on if we can show the people can shut down one station for a month (not just one day) then we will have been noticed and the other companies will not want to take a chance with being the next boycott victim

Turn this thing around on them and show them where the power really lies. My rant but I'm fed up.
GaroldShaffer
Umm, Snopes.com
N14
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 14 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Same thing on this poll.....right now 50% are willing to do nothing......I see this so often that people can't find it in them to do anything but complain. It effects most of us that enjoy driving but apathy in society is what rules right now.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(N14 @ May 14 2007, 02:27 PM) *

Same thing on this poll.....right now 50% are willing to do nothing......I see this so often that people can't find it in them to do anything but complain. It effects most of us that enjoy driving but apathy in society is what rules right now.

I don't see how not buying gas on one day is going to make a difference. You want to make a difference then either drive less, ride a bike, walk, or get a something that gets better gas milage. I have been really looking at the smart car and others along that line to use around town.
Actually I'm not ready to do that just yet, but I did park my Ram quad cab that gets 19mpg on a good day with a tail wind. I bought a 88 944na which so far gets about 25 mpg overall, plus its a Porsche biggrin.gif

It is a matter of supply and demand. How many people turn 16 in the USA each day? That number, X, is X more than yesterday and X less than tomorrow, they all want to drive. So the demands go up. Sure I feel we are getting screwed, but I say make gas $5 a gallon and leave it there. Its the 20 cent increase this afternoon only to see a it down a 10 cents tomorrow then back up another 15cents that afternoon that drives me nuts.
DEC
All of you guys can be happy to do not live in Germany

The gas price is much higher than in the US but
the most of people here get used to the prices.

smilie_flagge6.gif
PRS914-6
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I'll state it anyway. We as Americans have some of the cheapest gas in the world. Europe pays much more and drives much smaller vehicles.

We drive big trucks and SUV's, consume much of the worlds resources (especially per capita) and then complain about the prices. Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

Simply looking at the vehicles commuting to work should answer all the questions as well as most people around here have a 3-5000 sq foot house. Why? Because they can afford it not because they need it.

I'm as guilty as other Americans. The only difference is I feel we made our own bed and don't complain about it. If you want change, buy an economy car and a small home and encourage politicians to offer tax savings for those that do.

I have been in the water and wastewater business all my life. I have watched communities fight against water plant expansions. They won't agree until their water pressure drops and they can't flush. I'm sorry to say but Americans just won't budge until the water is dry and I'm afraid the same will be for gasoline

When they can't afford to pay for it, something will happen.......it's a fact.

Flame away but if we all look at our culture and life style it's tough to argue the point.....
N14
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 03:45 PM) *

Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

$5/gallon will do nothing......we pay that in Canada and prices continue to go up, people continue to buy SUV's and public transportation would have to improve 10 fold for the majority to change their ways.

I'm all for profit, don't get me wrong but noone wants to be gouged.
TJB/914
Hi Guys,

Read my post on my other posts to orange914. The issue in not "Big Oil" it's much more complex. Breakdown the cost of a gallon of gas & more than half the cost of a gallon of gas is for state & federal taxes. Oil company's have to go into 3rd world county's for oil production. It's political and forign govt's. get big payoff's if you want to drill for oil in their country. How do I know this. My son in upper mgt. works for a large oil service company stationed in Dubai UAE. Foreign (crooked) govt leaders demand and get the big bucks. Oil company's have to pay if they want to drill in their oil fields then pass the cost to us the comsumers. They make a small profit with the responsibilty of expensive equipment for research & development along with the high cost of production. I could go on & on with why the cost of a gallon of gas. But, hopefully you look into the cost breakdown of a gallon of gas at the pump. It's so easy to say it's hugh profits by big oil when you look into the real cost of a gallon of gas, taxes, taxes. sheeplove.gif

The answer, consume less & drive a smaller car.

Tom
orange914

you cant tell me this boycott wont help use gasoline buyers some way, if not to just bring awareness to the fact we CAN do something about it if we all get pissed enuff bootyshake.gif
yes consume less
orange914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 03:45 PM) *

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I'll state it anyway. We as Americans have some of the cheapest gas in the world. Europe pays much more and drives much smaller vehicles.

We drive big trucks and SUV's, consume much of the worlds resources (especially per capita) and then complain about the prices. Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

Simply looking at the vehicles commuting to work should answer all the questions as well as most people around here have a 3-5000 sq foot house. Why? Because they can afford it not because they need it.

I'm as guilty as other Americans. The only difference is I feel we made our own bed and don't complain about it. If you want change, buy an economy car and a small home and encourage politicians to offer tax savings for those that do.

I have been in the water and wastewater business all my life. I have watched communities fight against water plant expansions. They won't agree until their water pressure drops and they can't flush. I'm sorry to say but Americans just won't budge until the water is dry and I'm afraid the same will be for gasoline

When they can't afford to pay for it, something will happen.......it's a fact.

Flame away but if we all look at our culture and life style it's tough to argue the point.....

agree.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(DEC @ May 14 2007, 06:43 PM) *

The gas price is much higher than in the US but
the most of people here get used to the prices.

smilie_flagge6.gif

But you guys have better beer, so it all works out. beerchug.gif
TonyAKAVW
Here's another viewpoint on this...

Right now China and other parts of Asia have rapidly developing economies and their usage of automobiles is increasing dramatically. Their extra demand for oil has been at least partially responsible for the recent increases (last 3-5 years) in cost. Our usage has increased as well. So yes, use less gas to reduce the cost. Unfortunately, that will only work for a while.

If we use less oil, then the price world wide will be lower for everyone, meaning that Chine, et. al, will use more of it faster, meaning that prices will rise. If prices are kept high, the increase in usage may be slowed a bit. Hard to say really. Oil is a finite resource and available mostly in dangerous or uninhabitable places. Increasingly it is costing more to produce. So the price will rise as long as total usage rises.

The real answer here it seems to me is reduce oil use (by increasing efficiency) and at the same time develop alternative methods of generating and storing energy. We have got to get off oil as a primary energy source sooner than later.

-Tony

cantley914
$1.054 cnd a liter here in Ottawa, Canada.

3.85L per US gal X by exchange rate between $cnd vs $US = ±$3.45 Us/Gal

Hard to say who is to blame in the high price of gas.

1st, producers make profits.
2nd, transporters make profits.
3rd, refiners make profits,
4th, transporters (again) make profits
Finally, retailler makes profits.

If you look at the BIG picture, Government picks up income tax on everyone mentioned above PLUS government (again) charges it`s own sales tax on the fuel
and government (again) allows all of the mentioned above to make unlimited profits.
Look on the stock market reports and find out which industry pays the most dividends to its shareholders? The energy industry. Where do you think they take this money to give back to their shareholders?
Aren't we all eager to invest money and get big returns??? Where do we invest our money? Mutual funds? (Which diversifies our money in high and low risk investments) (energy and economy?) Does this make all of us investors accomplices of the high gas prices ???
I think we should put pressure on the government to regulate the energy industry before we try anything (in my opinion) foolish like not buying gas for one day !!!
Don't forget if you don't fuel up for one day, eventually you will have to fuel up sometime. So maybe the retailler won't be too busy on that particyular day but will catch up on the next day. And so wil;l all of the above mentioned in my list.

ASK ME I WORK FOR A PIPELINE COMPANY HERE IN CANADA (WHERE WE HAVE THE 2ND KNOW BIGGEST RESERVE OF OIL AND NATURAL GAS AFTER SAOUDI ARABIA)

Just my 0.02¢
aktion035.gif
cuca914
It looks like there are at least 3 constants here that everybody can agree on:
1. Oil consumption is up.
2. Gas prices are up.
3. Oil company profits are up.

The whole tax issue wouldn't be such a PITA if our legislators here in Cali would at least invest it into our infrastructure. It'd be nice to have an efficient, mass-transit system in locations other than the Bay Area. LA Area traffic is a friggin' nightmare, due in large part to too many people commuting from too damn far away. It's happening verrrrrry sloooooowly, not quite as fast as the gas prices are rising. Until we get more trains & buses here, don't look for consumption to curb anytime soon.

IMO, this is a very frustrating topic to discuss when there really aren't any 'simple' solutions. All I know is, certain people are getting very rich at our expense. sheeplove.gif
Allan
I don't know if I'm the first to say this because I didn't read throught the whole thread.

A 1 day boycott will NOT affect the bottom line of the producers, refiners, or distributors.

It will end up just the same at the end of the quarter as if you didn't "boycott".

It would take at least 4 months of "ZERO" gas sales to affect anything. If it had an impact before that point it would be purely based by media attention by the producers, refiners, and distributors.

Guys, we don't have that kind of staying power to manipulate the price of gas.
SteveL
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Why should Joe Taxpayer subsidize somebody buying an economy car or more efficient/smaller house??? If somebody wants to do that, their reward is in the fuel and energy savings that result from it.
carreraguy
Get used to it everyone.
I'm trying not to be political here but nothing is going to happen until the US weans itself from oil and the stranglehold the mideast has on everyone. Getting their hands off our throats is not going to happen until we get a cheaper source of energy (i.e. nuclear power plants all over the country) and getting from the current situation to then is going to be VERY rough on the US economy in general - thus the status quo. Bottom line, we dug the hole and now we have to live with it (and I admit, I'm one of the guys with the shovel).
Brando
Hmmm... Time to go propane?

Gasoline is a staple... I don't think our dependance on it will go away anytime soon. But trimming down... Very plausible.

If you want to effect gas prices

For your next car, buy a hybrid. Trade in your current daily beater and get one. Or an EV. Or one that runs on E85. Or a propane vehicle. Or CNG... There are options; Ford and GMC sell Flex-Fuel vehicles. We're not going to see the alternatives as standards until we as a consumer base (and market base) push for it. Supply and Demand? Ever hear those three words together? It rings true... We have to be the driving force.

Now, if you're just looking to cut the profits of a company or industry specifically, I think that's vindictive consumerism. Unless they're sheeplove.gif-ing us such as the oil industry.
swood
It's our governments regulations that have more of an impact on the cost of gasoline. The oil companies can't legally provide enough to supply our gluttonous (sp) demand. The oil companies can only drill oil in 15% of our continental shelf. There is a lot of domestic oil to be had but the government says no. They have to produce winter gas and summer gas and balance production, storage and demand. Restricting domestic sourcing of oil forces us to rely on foreign oil.

I see two separate issues...one being the application of morality to the use and dependence upon fossil fuels and two, the supply and demand (economics) of oil consumption. I don't have a moral problem with the use of oil. I have a problem with being made to feel guilty for depending on oil and using gas, people complaining about the relative high price of gasoline irrespective of inflation and the real cause of why prices are so high.

I rarely point people to France and say "see, they're doing it, why don't we?", but they're succesfully using nuclear power. Why don't we? Why don't we ease our own economic burden and pump a little more domestic oil? Why don't we open up a few more of the local refineries that are just sitting unused?

And what of electric and ethanol? Are they really cheaper to produce than gas? How much does it cost and what is the environmental impact to growing that much corn? What fuel is used power the farming equipment?

Just a few thoughts. Not looking to stir it up, just wondering what people intend to do besides just bitch about it.
smontanaro
QUOTE(Brando @ May 14 2007, 09:50 PM) *

For your next car, buy a hybrid. Trade in your current daily beater and get one.
Or an EV. Or one that runs on E85. Or a propane vehicle. Or CNG... There are options

Regarding E85, here in the midwest at least there are essentially no E85 stations.
(I think there are fewer than ten in Illinois, and we are essentially drowning in
corn.)

Interestingly enough, one of the best EV conversion platforms is the 914. And
you can buy a kit from Electro Automotive. It's apparently quite well-done:

http://www.electroauto.com/

If I had a /4 I'd be on the verge of buying a kit right now.

Shorter term, you can always try driving less. Take the train or bus to work or
ride your bike. (I realize that's not an option for everyone. But I'll bet it's an
option for plenty of people who won't admit that it is.) Even if you can't change
your commute options you can do all sorts of stuff to reduce consumption: form
a carpool for work or to get the kids to soccer practice, walk to the store. Get
a little Vespa-type scooter for errands around town. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Skip
brp914
Why should Joe Taxpayer subsidize somebody buying an economy car or more efficient/smaller house??? If somebody wants to do that, their reward is in the fuel and energy savings that result from it.

It's the other way around. those who conserve subsidize those consumption force us to have to involve ourselves in wars in the middle east.

until we get a cheaper source of energy (i.e. nuclear power plants all over the country)

I attended a lecture recently where it stated that if the US attempted to covert entirely to nuclear power, we would consume all known supplies of uranium in 20 years.

smontanaro
QUOTE(TonyAKAVW @ May 14 2007, 07:08 PM) *

Right now China and other parts of Asia have rapidly developing economies and their usage of automobiles is increasing dramatically. Their extra demand for oil has been at least partially responsible for the recent increases (last 3-5 years) in cost.

I suspect that China will turn out to be the largest producer of components for alternative fuel vehicles in the not-too-distant future as well, especially higher capacity batteries.

Skip
Allan
You guys are so misguided...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.