Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 To 3.6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BIGKAT_83
I had a friend offer me a deal(cheap cheap) on a late model 3.6 Porsche engine. Its from the last year that air cooled engines were used and has less than 30k miles. I've seen the car it came out of. Can this be done in a 914 and what kind of things do I need to look out for?

confused24.gif confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 14 2007, 11:15 AM) *

Can this be done in a 914

Shall I say... 3.6?, my conversion thread ...

bye1.gif Andy
PRS914-6
The last year would have "Vario-Ram" induction. It won't fit under a 914 stock hood. You could however sell or trade the sytem for a 95 or earlier intake and pocket some money in the process....
BIGKAT_83
Thanks Andy and Prs914-6 thats what I wanted to hear. I was most worried about the vario-ram intake.

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Bob
Justinp71
I'm a chevy v8 guy, but I think a 3.6L 914 is AWESOME... aktion035.gif

But make sure you get a leak down test and check the head studs, but I'm not sure if there are any head stud problems on a 3.6L.

piratenanner.gif mrs.K.gif ar15.gif happy11.gif driving.gif
PRS914-6
You should also be aware that the computer (which you need) is OBDII and has theft protection built in and is typically a $1k mod to get rechipped. You could get a non Vario intake from a 95 or earlier and swap the computers and you will eliminate that expense. IMHO the 95 is the best year to get. It is first year of hydraulic lifters and last year of OBDI.

Again, you could easily do some horse trading. The 911 guys will want the Vario Ram.

Also, the sheet metal will have to be custom made. It's time consuming but not terribly difficult. Having the 3.6 stuff will make it easier. Attached a pic

Happy hunting....
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 12:27 PM) *

You should also be aware that the computer (which you need) is OBDII and has theft protection built in and is typically a $1k mod to get rechipped. If you get a 95 and swap the computers you will eliminate that expense. IMHO the 95 is the best year to get. It is first year of hydraulic lifters and last year of OBDI.

Again, you could easily do some horse trading. The 911 guys will want the Vario Ram.

Also, the sheet metal will have to be custom made. It's time consuming but not terribly difficult. Having the 3.6 stuff will make it easier.

agree.gif '95 is the best year for doing a conversion. it's the last engine that is still somewhat plug & play. after 95 electronics took over even more and it's a pain in the butt to get them to work in a 914.

too bad paul is so far away, otherwise i'd be camping out in his "shop" ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.