Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress, fiberglass front bumper rubber upper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoninEclipse2G
Well, things have not gone according to plan. First, my rubber is in really sad shape so I spent a better portion of saturday using some household filler ot even it out as best I could. Second, my hardener was bad and the resin never quite set up and the best I could get was a stiff gel after using approx 20 times the hardener you're supposed to, not a good mold. Third, I'm out of resin and glass cloth so I need to get some more. all this for a base mold that I can create a plug to really get a good shape out of.

one question, would everyone want a stock looking piece with the crease that runs lengthwise across the top or just a smooth flowing piece? It would only take a few min more to work the shape in
TROJANMAN
Erik,
I have some stock bumper tops in my attic you are welcome to borrow
I am at Peoria and Arapahoe

greg
3-596-5656
rfuerst911sc
Either way is fine with me.
RoninEclipse2G
I'm gonna give this route one more shot, if it doesn't work I'll give you a call, thanks!
McMark
Stock. No question.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ May 14 2007, 04:32 PM) *

Stock. No question.

agree.gif if you go through all the trouble, make them look stock ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
markb
agree.gif
woobn8r
QUOTE(McMark @ May 14 2007, 06:32 PM) *

Stock. No question.

agree.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(RoninEclipse2G @ May 14 2007, 04:28 PM) *

I'm gonna give this route one more shot, if it doesn't work I'll give you a call, thanks!

No problem. I'm only a few minutes away.

Hijack: Did you know about the BIG party in New Mexico coming up Memorial Day? There is a Caravan Thread for the Colorado group.
RoninEclipse2G
great, thanks for the input guys!
RoninEclipse2G
quick update, my attempts to make a mold off of an existing rubber have failed, too much flex and something never quite gets right. I'm trying to make a plug from scratch right now which I think I will be able to get nicer than factory. Since I destroyed my dead rubber trying to make a mold I could use some measurements from you guys. I need the distance from the front of the rubber to the crease.
Midtowner
Perhaps this will help. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Midtowner
...and this:

Click to view attachment
Midtowner
...and try saying "bumper rubber upper" ten times fast! biggrin.gif
RoninEclipse2G
just what I needed, thanks
RoninEclipse2G
could I get a shot of the ends? I need to see how the crease flows back into the side
GWN7
This any help?
GWN7
two
RoninEclipse2G
a little more from the top please. i can see the side just fine on mine, but I tried filling it cause it was wavy and now i can't see how the crease ends, it looks like it just smooths out but I can't tell
GWN7
How's this?
RoninEclipse2G
great! thanks!
mrdezyne
any progress on how this is going? Curious minds... yada yada yada....
RoninEclipse2G
stalled, been working on other projects and trying to get my head back above water financially. first attempt was a horrible failure due to bad materials and my second attempt is waiting on more materials, I've been shaping what I can here and there but I'm running out of stuff to shape and smooth on the plug.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.